Meze Audio’s newest single-DD IEM - ADVAR
Oct 14, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #481 of 520
I have lived with the Advar for a week now, and I must say I am still trying to adjust not to just IEMs but to not having the LIRICs on my head. I am rather disappointed. I think what many people call “fun” I consider dense. What some people consider “bright” I consider balanced. I don’t know. The Advar lacks the magic that the LIRIC has consistently provided me. The Advar is missing air, missing a smooth treble, and misses the sub base that the LIRIC excels in.

I think the Advar is a more refined 99 Classic without the comfort of an on-ear headphone. I really am apprehensive of spending more money on IEMs, because this is really a step down from headphones for me. I will likely save my funds and try a RAI Penta because I need an IEM for my commute and overseas trip. I also hope it might be closer to the LIRIC with a more balanced tuning and—hopefully—a smoother treble, but I am not so sure. Thus far I really can’t imagine this is what $700 gets me with IEMs. I just don’t know. I won’t be giving up my headphones or full range loudspeakers anytime soon.

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #482 of 520
I have lived with the Advar for a week now, and I must say I am still trying to adjust not to just IEMs but to not having the LIRICs on my head. I am rather disappointed. I think what many people call “fun” I consider dense. What some people consider “bright” I consider balanced. I don’t know. The Advar lacks the magic that the LIRIC has consistently provided me. The Advar is missing air, missing a smooth treble, and misses the sub base that the LIRIC excels in.

I think the Advar is a more refined 99 Classic without the comfort of an on-ear headphone. I really am apprehensive of spending more money on IEMs, because this is really a step down from headphones for me. I will likely save my funds and try a RAI Penta because I need an IEM for my commute and overseas trip. I also hope it might be closer to the LIRIC with a more balanced tuning and—hopefully—a smoother treble, but I am not so sure. Thus far I really can’t imagine this is what $700 gets me with IEMs. I just don’t know. I won’t be giving up my headphones or full range loudspeakers anytime soon.
Sorry to hear your disappointment.
My experience with IEMs that they get considerably better sounding after 100-200 hours (especially the Solo needed more than 250)
Even more important is to find a perfect fit tip. That is crucial to get the subbass properly working.

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #483 of 520
Sorry to hear your disappointment.
My experience with IEMs that they get considerably better sounding after 100-200 hours (especially the Solo needed more than 250)
Even more important is to find a perfect fit tip. That is crucial to get the subbass properly working.
Good to know. I think I have about seven or eight hours on my Advars, so hope springs eternal! 😊 and I cannot afford another pair of IEMs, so I will need to get used to them. One funny outcome is that I am finding myself tuning the higher frequencies down on my Lokius at work with my LIRICs since I got the Advars, so my head must be adjusting somewhat to that Meze house sound.

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #484 of 520
Good to know. I think I have about seven or eight hours on my Advars, so hope springs eternal! 😊 and I cannot afford another pair of IEMs, so I will need to get used to them. One funny outcome is that I am finding myself tuning the higher frequencies down on my Lokius at work with my LIRICs since I got the Advars, so my head must be adjusting somewhat to that Meze house sound.
You can accelerate the process by letting it play some music overnight from any source with normal loudness. I was not a believer of burn in in the past, but experience showed otherwise.
Btw. what are you driving your Advar with on the go?

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #487 of 520
Is your FD5 brocken? :)

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #489 of 520
Any interested I might have an Advar for sale, let me say this, they don’t make ‘em sound this good in a such a small package anymore.

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #490 of 520
This sucks! Put a ticket in with Meze this morning. Hope I get it resolved quickly. I love this thing but I am disappointed and concerned about the problem as others have reported similar issues. I also now have a concern about the warranty period. As you can see by the last picture, the warranty on the booklet included with the Advars say's 2 years but I'm finding conflicting info elsewhere.

Thanks for the eye opener here; doesn't look like much in the way of acoustic tuning. Just come up with a nice shell design, a nice story, slap in a 10.2 driver, 2 cables and an MMCX connector, add a crappy cable plus some extra eye candy and rake in the $$$. Phew. Anyway, since some folks seem to like their Advars, and Meze hasn't mentioned any specific details I'd really like to know what driver they put in there.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #491 of 520
It looks like Advar is now Meze’s top-of-the-line IEM. I looked at their new website yesterday and it showed no Rai Pentas.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #492 of 520
It looks like Advar is now Meze’s top-of-the-line IEM. I looked at their new website yesterday and it showed no Rai Pentas.
Been like that for several months already.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #493 of 520
This sucks! Put a ticket in with Meze this morning. Hope I get it resolved quickly. I love this thing but I am disappointed and concerned about the problem as others have reported similar issues. I also now have a concern about the warranty period. As you can see by the last picture, the warranty on the booklet included with the Advars say's 2 years but I'm finding conflicting info elsewhere.

IMG_1488.jpgIMG_1493.jpgIMG_1496.jpgIMG_1499.jpgIMG_1505.jpg
My left monitor came apart in this way about a month ago. I sent it to Meze for repair and it is due back today via DHL. I sent my right monitor in to check integrity of the seal. I hope they reinforced it to match the left.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #494 of 520
Keep in mind your warranty is resett after a repair to another 2 year. At least its the case in EU by law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back