Music City Mini-Whiskey-Fi Meet - Nashville Area, Saturday June 2, 2018 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2018 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 165

kilkil

500+ Head-Fier

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 0
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 0
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 0
  • w5.jpg
    w5.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 0
  • w6.jpg
    w6.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 165
elow
w2.jpg
w3.jpg
w4.jpg
w5.jpg
w6.jpg

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 165
Looking forward to reading your all’s tasting notes!

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 165
sampler.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 165
Jun 3, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 165
It was a great meet, i'm glad everyone made it. I didn't actually listen to any headphones this meet, though it wasn't my goal. As for whiskey, I happily tasted and enjoyed every whiskey here, there wasn't one that I would turn away. My favorites of the night would probably be Angels Envy Cask 2017, closely followed by their 2016 and Blood Oath.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 165
Wow what a good time. I hope everyone had as good of a time as Teresa and I did. It was nice to really get to talk to @RCBinTN as we have met at meets before but didn’t get to talk as we did and also his better half Annette. Mark for bringing the awesome music. Joe we have to work on his English a bit but a super nice guy and he likes bourbon nuff said ; )
The Bourbon;
Most I’ve had before but not the Long Branch or Noah’s Mill ( forgot about the Breckinridge and then too late) . The Long Branch was yes different but not too much had some good notes to it didn’t get the mesquite all that much but you could tell there was something else in the mix but still found it a bit hot tasting . Would I order it at a bar no would I drink it if someone poured me a shot sure ; ).
Noah’s Mill I liked this one it was not too hot in it’s presentation nor smooth you knew you were drinking bourbon and had the high rye taste that I am starting to like more and more. Would I order a shot that is a definite maybe more likely I’ll buy a bottle to have on hand.
Just like in headphones it is what you are used to and what you like. I do love the finished bourbons like Angels Envy ,The Blood Oath and Collabaration along with the Jefferson’s Reserve’s that will have to wait for next time( I would love to do it again). If we had to put it in headphones I would say the Long Branch is a mid line pair of Grado’s and the Noah’s Mill was closer to HD-600’s and the Angels Envy cask strength was like a electrostat or a good planar.
Had to make a Head-Fi reference.
I think we could not have had a better host or venue Thanks Tom.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 165
It was, indeed, a fun time!
Thanks to Tom for hosting again. I hope the sunroom restoration project goes well, my friend!

The food and bourbon were great. The company and discussion fun. The venue...un-matched in all of Head-Fi land.
Too bad that Kevin and Ron had to cancel. It would have been great to see you folks again!

The pics above from @JabenZ show the whiskey line-up. Amazing variety and some really high-end.

My special thanks to Joe, for bringing the Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill down from KY...I appreciate it.
I decided to stash the Rowan's, since our supply here is uncertain, but did serve up the Noah's Mill.
The Noah's Mill is decent bourbon, with a nice rye note. Proof at 114.
Keep working on your English, my friend. Practice...it will help in your career options.

Really nice to meet Mark @Cool Jazz and thanks for the music! Cool stuff, Cool Jazz.
Interesting to learn about your work...a real insider. I think it would be fun to do your type of work.

And, of course, it was great to reconnect with Brent @buke9 and to meet Teresa.
Y'all have great travel and life stories, and insight and knowledge about the audio hobby!
Now, I really want to hear the Abyss, more so than ever.

Although there was not much HP listening, the e-stat rig in Tom's abode filled the space with great music.
Getting to know Head-Fi mates, in person, is the best experience.

Cheers!
RCB

ps. Almost forgot...today I discovered I'm ate-up with bug bites. Itching all over. Guess I was unaware due to the bourbon.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 165
It was, indeed, a fun time!
Thanks to Tom for hosting again. I hope the sunroom restoration project goes well, my friend!

The food and bourbon were great. The company and discussion fun. The venue...un-matched in all of Head-Fi land.
Too bad that Kevin and Ron had to cancel. It would have been great to see you folks again!

The pics above from @JabenZ show the whiskey line-up. Amazing variety and some really high-end.

My special thanks to Joe, for bringing the Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill down from KY...I appreciate it.
I decided to stash the Rowan's, since our supply here is uncertain, but did serve up the Noah's Mill.
The Noah's Mill is decent bourbon, with a nice rye note. Proof at 114.
Keep working on your English, my friend. Practice...it will help in your career options.

Really nice to meet Mark @Cool Jazz and thanks for the music! Cool stuff, Cool Jazz.
Interesting to learn about your work...a real insider. I think it would be fun to do your type of work.

And, of course, it was great to reconnect with Brent @buke9 and to meet Teresa.
Y'all have great travel and life stories, and insight and knowledge about the audio hobby!
Now, I really want to hear the Abyss, more so than ever.

Although there was not much HP listening, the e-stat rig in Tom's abode filled the space with great music.
Getting to know Head-Fi mates, in person, is the best experience.

Cheers!
RCB

ps. Almost forgot...today I discovered I'm ate-up with bug bites. Itching all over. Guess I was unaware due to the bourbon.
I’m ate up too maybe a delayed reaction from the bourbon. Still was a good time I’ll live with the bites for a good time and it was. Nice to see you again and get to know you and Annette. Teresa had a great time as there is not many women at other meets and this was different but she had had a great time mostly because Annette was there . Me I’m easy food , bourbons ,music and great company and I’m done and all was had Saturday. Going to St. Louis this weekend for a meet but after that if you want the Abyss for a bit they are yours. I would also throw in the Liquid Carbon so you hear what I hear but would love to hear your impressions from that and yours.

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 165
Same here, mate!
It was cool that Teresa decided to attend - she made the meet for Annette. They kinda bonded, ya know...
Let's stay in touch.
I will PM you about trading equipment - thanks for the offer!
I would love to hear the Abyss on my rig. That might drive my decision to buy them.

Cheers!
Dick

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 165
It was nice that Teresa had a great time at a meet even though this wasn’t a headphone meet per say but was still good. Most of the meets I go to all 99.99% male so this was good. Just looked at the BHA-1 specs and I think it should run the Abyss but the Liquid Carbon might be better but that will be up to you if you want to hear them.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 165
I'm glad everyone enjoyed the meet. I'm happy to host another whiskey/social meet anytime.
I'm sure the sunroom will be done by then, I now have the exterior completed.

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 165
Good job, Tom! You guys aren't messing around with that project!
Can you post a picture of the outside w/ the cedar shakes, when you're done?

One thing that drew Annette into the meets - at the very first meet we ever attended, Burnley's Mom was there.
She had the Woo Audio Fireflies. They were the coolest looking devices we had ever seen.
She and Annette hit it off immediately.
Annette enjoyed that meet, and kept going back to meets whenever we could.

She isn't much of a HP listener, but she does have a good and discerning ear.
Her listening to Chuck's LCD-4 at Tom's first meet is what convinced me to buy them.
She listened to one song, then said "you have got to hear these!"

Her favorite, however, are the HD800. Unmodded. She has slight tinnitus and likes the bright sound.
That's why we keep two pair + cables around, and went with the BHA-1 that has dual-balanced outputs.

:)

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 165
Not much has changed since y'all were here. I removed the gutter again, sealed the shakes (oil based water sealer, which seemed to give the shakes a wet look 2 days later), siliconed the edges, siliconed the gutter and fixed the water collection box at top (reduced flow restriction and resealed). The window rotted, i think in large part to the gutter box and downpipe leaked and sprayed water on the window, hopefully i fixed that. Really all that is left is to trim the bottom of the trim around the door. i put that up 1/2" from the deck, before i finalized about how i was going to put the shakes on level with a sloping deck. On to rebuilding the inside wall today.

sunroom.jpg

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #15 of 165
Thanks, Tom. I like the look of the shakes with the sealer on them. Gives them a nice patina.
Can you finish the bottom with a piece of cedar board cut at an angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back