Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Jun 7, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #136 of 204
Not sure if understanding you correctly. What I meant for the Ferrum is that there is a bypass function on the volume so it can be controlled exclusively by the preamp.

Yes on the HE you can either send signal to headphones or preamp but not both at same time.

Jun 7, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #137 of 204
Not sure if understanding you correctly. What I meant for the Ferrum is that there is a bypass function on the volume so it can be controlled exclusively by the preamp.

Yes on the HE you can either send signal to headphones or preamp but not both at same time.
I must say that my knowledge stops here :) As I no longer have any regular stereo equipment .. Only the Naim HE and Hiby RS8

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #138 of 204
I must say that my knowledge stops here :) As I no longer have any regular stereo equipment .. Only the Naim HE and Hiby RS8
I’m just using the Naim HE directly with ZMF Caldera with 4.4mm balanced out. For a while I thought about an external headphone amp, but had a lot of expenses lately and just really happy with the current sound. Plus can’t beat the easy of use and looks of just Naim HE by itself. Why complicate things adding anything more.

Jun 7, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #139 of 204
You make perfect sense, @iamoneagain. My system has an Ampsandspound Kensie Ovation attached to the Naim HE. I got caught up in the 'ZMFs-need-tubes' thinking. (Sorry, Zach!) With that, expenses aside, would you keep the Kensie if you were in my shoes? BTW, I'm 67 yrs old.

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #140 of 204
I have tube amp connected to the Atom HE. I love it without it but, there is no way I’d ever sell the tube amp as it sounds so good. In fact, I’m in the process of building a second. The HE acts as an amazing Pre for them.

Jun 8, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #141 of 204
You make perfect sense, @iamoneagain. My system has an Ampsandspound Kensie Ovation attached to the Naim HE. I got caught up in the 'ZMFs-need-tubes' thinking. (Sorry, Zach!) With that, expenses aside, would you keep the Kensie if you were in my shoes? BTW, I'm 67 yrs old.

Sounds like you don’t have the ZMF Caldera and everyone does say the rest sound best with tubes. But you can play them from the HE and then from the tube amp and decide for yourself. If you don’t need the money and the tube amp isn’t inconvenient and sounds better, keep it.

I’m in a different situation. I have the Caldera, which think more people claiming prefer out solid state. Already think they sound wonderful out of the HE and is a step up from the Focal Arche. So for me, I really need to hear how they sound out of different setups to know if it’s worth adding anything to my system. But I’m also setup on an end table by the couch in the living room. So part of this setup is the look and simplicity.

IMG_1031.jpeg

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #142 of 204
Just picked one up yesterday and gave it a run with the Utopia. The Downward Spiral DSD. Pretty great.

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #145 of 204
Hey guys just bought a unit second hand.

I’ve always used the 4.4mm output at the front and works beautifully.

Today for the first time I tried using the XLR at the back. The steam was playing but no sound was coming out. Tried a couple of different cables and sets of cans but no luck.

Is anybody able to advice? Does the XLR need to be “activated” or my unit is just defective?

Cheers.

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #146 of 204
Hey guys just bought a unit second hand.

I’ve always used the 4.4mm output at the front and works beautifully.

Today for the first time I tried using the XLR at the back. The steam was playing but no sound was coming out. Tried a couple of different cables and sets of cans but no luck.

Is anybody able to advice? Does the XLR need to be “activated” or my unit is just defective?

Cheers.
Yes, push the headphone button on the front on the top left. The XLR outout does not automatically switch between headphone out and preamp. I personally find the 4.4mm output better just by a hair.

Jun 21, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #147 of 204
Yes, push the headphone button on the front on the top left. The XLR outout does not automatically switch between headphone out and preamp. I personally find the 4.4mm output better just by a hair.
Thanks!

Jun 21, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #148 of 204
I was doing a little more testing and really think power cord upgrade takes it up a notch. More liquid sounding, better sub bass, and soundstage opens a bit. I don’t hear anything lacking. With the stock cord, I could see about thinking of adding tubes or external amp to further improve the sound. Just has a touch of grain to it and flatter sounding.

I also said I didn’t think there was any difference between ethernet connection or wifi but now think slight improvement with Ethernet. Find the location instruments in the soundstage more precise.

Jun 21, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #149 of 204
I’m away at the moment and as usual, mine came with me. Pic includes a shot of the bag I use. Snug fit but includes plenty of protection. Plus, a large top section takes a Roon NUC and cables!

I do really enjoy it on its own but I love it when I get back and can connect the tube amp to it again. Just has more detail, texture especially in the bass and as with most good tube systems, a bigger soundstage with better imaging, layering.

But… as an all in one that can be moved around the house or taken on holiday, the Naim HE cannot be beaten! Travel in style 👍🏻

IMG_4394.jpeg

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #150 of 204
Is there any consensus what the strongest elements of the Naim uniti atom HE is?

wondering how strong the streamer and dac elements are to replace what i already have? and what other stand alone dacs may compare to this part of the all in one

thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back