New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 6, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #11,267 of 11,302
I know network is important, but the last change on the setup has done something nothing less than amazing. About 10-12 hours A/B testing, and trying to convince myself that this is just make belief.

ISCSI based shares beats, betters, tears apart NFS. This is evident of the background of the music. The difference is a shift in the stereo spectrum.

(- Giving the ISCSI vs NFS shares the same circumstance, same setup same network.- )

ISCSI target is meant to be for Audio. Specially for the Audio-gd dacs I have. This improvement has even changed my views on deltasigma dacs.

The effect is in short: somewhere between "loudness and a tube effect" - Everything in the background on Audio-gd is lit up, every layer all at once nothing is tiring on massive tracks with a lot of "traffic". Every corner is lit up. It reminds me of the experience I had with Viva Egoista 845.

I even put my games and other software on the NAS/ISCSI shares/partitions.

The network is the new DDC.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #11,268 of 11,302
ISCSI target is meant to be for Audio. Specially for the Audio-gd dacs I have. This improvement has even changed my views on deltasigma dacs.
Sorry, I know nothing about ISCSI.
Does it matter for my set-up?
ISP wifi router > wifi > Macbook Pro > USB > DAC
Steaming only, no local files, no NAS.
Any settings I can change at the router or Macbook?
Thx

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #11,271 of 11,302
Of course, the damage must not have been caused by the user. Maybe the previous owner did some mods. Anyway, let us know if the fw update works.
Will do. I’ve been emailing with audio gd about things to look at to see what it could be. And I’m awaiting response from The Music Room for some work throughs or if they should take a look at it themselves. In the mean time I had a R28NOS in my office and I replaced the now faulty R27RE in my living room with the R28NOS and it’s working perfect.

May 6, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #11,272 of 11,302
Sorry, I know nothing about ISCSI.
Does it matter for my set-up?
ISP wifi router > wifi > Macbook Pro > USB > DAC
Steaming only, no local files, no NAS.
Any settings I can change at the router or Macbook?
Thx
On your routers disable power saving feature like EEE or anything like it

May 6, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #11,273 of 11,302
I know network is important, but the last change on the setup has done something nothing less than amazing. About 10-12 hours A/B testing, and trying to convince myself that this is just make belief.

ISCSI based shares beats, betters, tears apart NFS. This is evident of the background of the music. The difference is a shift in the stereo spectrum.

(- Giving the ISCSI vs NFS shares the same circumstance, same setup same network.- )

The effect is in short: somewhere between "loudness and a tube effect" - Everything in the background on Audio-gd is lit up, every layer all at once nothing is tiring on massive tracks with a lot of "traffic". Every corner is lit up. It reminds me of the experience I had with Viva Egoista 845.

I even put my games and other software on the NAS/ISCSI shares/partitions.

The network is the new DDC.
Hi
Can you explain it as we were (at least I am) kindergarden kids? :ksc75smile:

How do you change from NFS to ISCSI. What are they on the network?

May 6, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #11,274 of 11,302
Hi
Can you explain it as we were (at least I am) kindergarden kids? :ksc75smile:

How do you change from NFS to ISCSI. What are they on the network?
First of all they are shares. I was also talking about SMB and NFS. I forgot to mention SMB :L3000:

The most basic share that can be created on Synology is SMB, works both on windows and mac. However ISCSI takes this a step further and basically have "less" restriction* of managing the way for a stable and more open connection:
1715022385856.png

(I spent, I am not kidding about this. I spent 12hours in dis-belief because both share I had was on the same NAS. SMB and ISCSI.....long story, but iSCSI is a big step up...The background of the music is another dimension!)

To setup ISCSI there are two points. Target and a Initiator. Target is the NAS/Fileserver and Initiator is the streamer who wants to connect. The Initiator basically wants to connect to the share on fileserver.

Depending on what system you are using, Synology has SAN manager where this is setup. After it has been setup you can only access this "target" by the streamer/client with: iSCSI Initiator.
1715022683811.png

A connection look like any other drive like "C:" - System. However it handles DATA/packages differently

Example of my chain:

NAS(Chrome browser, Games, Audio files,) -> RJ45 -> Cisco switch -> SFP/Fiber -> Cisco switch -> Streamer/Source.

I think there are some processing of the data stream sent to the switches that benefits to the sound. This processing does not happen with SMB/NFS. Other differences is that you can not move executable software like Chrome to SMB share and NFS if I remember correctly. ISCSI is completely open to this. That is why it is so popular and most used for VMs.

* I have setup this ISCSI on the LAN side without any restriction= credential/authenticatio. Straight open to the initiator which is my streamer.

I have setup mine with NOT multiple host. Only single! :wink:

May 6, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #11,275 of 11,302
First of all they are shares. I was also talking about SMB and NFS. I forgot to mention SMB :L3000:

The most basic share that can be created on Synology is SMB, works both on windows and mac. However ISCSI takes this a step further and basically have "less" restriction* of managing the way for a stable and more open connection:
1715022385856.png

(I spent, I am not kidding about this. I spent 12hours in dis-belief because both share I had was on the same NAS. SMB and ISCSI.....long story, but iSCSI is a big step up...The background of the music is another dimension!)

To setup ISCSI there are two points. Target and a Initiator. Target is the NAS/Fileserver and Initiator is the streamer who wants to connect. The Initiator basically wants to connect to the share on fileserver.

Depending on what system you are using, Synology has SAN manager where this is setup. After it has been setup you can only access this "target" by the streamer/client with: iSCSI Initiator.
1715022683811.png

A connection look like any other drive like "C:" - System. However it handles DATA/packages differently

Example of my chain:

NAS(Chrome browser, Games, Audio files,) -> RJ45 -> Cisco switch -> SFP/Fiber -> Cisco switch -> Streamer/Source.

I think there are some processing of the data stream sent to the switches that benefits to the sound. This processing does not happen with SMB/NFS. Other differences is that you can not move executable software like Chrome to SMB share and NFS if I remember correctly. ISCSI is completely open to this. That is why it is so popular and most used for VMs.

* I have setup this ISCSI on the LAN side without any restriction= credential/authenticatio. Straight open to the initiator which is my streamer.

I have setup mine with NOT multiple host. Only single! :wink:

Thanks!

I will try to understand it :beyersmile:and see if I can do it!

May 7, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #11,276 of 11,302
Thanks!

I will try to understand it :beyersmile:and see if I can do it!
I have tested three DACs. Every DAC improved on the same thing, however R-1NOS was really something special, maybe also because of better cables, however the Cirrus Logic one was surprising aswell next after R1N…ESS chipbased did also improve but not as much as Cirrus.

Cirrus Logic is enjoyable and gets close to the Audio-gd experience of the holographics. The iSCSI upgrade improved it noticeably. It made the foreground and background completely separated and everything plays with ease.

May 7, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #11,277 of 11,302
Of course, the damage must not have been caused by the user. Maybe the previous owner did some mods. Anyway, let us know if the fw update works.
I communicated with both Audio-GD and The Music Room. Did some voltometer tests per audio GD's request. The Music Room asked that I send it back under their warranty deal so they can take hold of the repairs/communication with Audio GD. Might take a few weeks but I'll report back with the findings.

May 7, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #11,278 of 11,302
I communicated with both Audio-GD and The Music Room. Did some voltometer tests per audio GD's request. The Music Room asked that I send it back under their warranty deal so they can take hold of the repairs/communication with Audio GD. Might take a few weeks but I'll report back with the findings.
First try the fw update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back