New!!! TTVJ Portable Amp w/DAC!!!
Jul 27, 2009 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
HI All,

Our new portable amp will start shipping in a week or less (right on schedule!!!) and now comes in 2 versions. The original amp we showed at CanJam was just an amp but we have also made a second model that includes a high quality DAC. The TTVJ Portable amp will sell for $349 and the TTVJ Portable with a DAC will be $449.

You can check it out here on our website.. It is a great sounding, very slim/compact amp amp that we are very proud of.

TTVJ Portable Headphone Amplifier [TTVJ Portable Amp] - $349.00 : TTVJ, Todd The Vinyl Junkie

Call now or order online to get this very special amp!

TTVJ Portable Headphone Amplifier
Features:
• Stepped Attenuator - No cheap volume control pot here. Small potentiometers are notoriously bad - they mis-track, get noisy, and break. So the TTVJ portable uses a microprocessor-controlled analog stepped attenuator. Each of the 32 steps changes the volume level by a precise 2dB, and the gain difference between channels is less than ±0.2dB - compare that to normal pots that at best provide ±3dB! The volume setting is indicated by the color of the front-panel LED. In addition, a switch allows you to select 0dB, 10dB, or 20dB of maximum gain, to accommodate all sources and headphone sensitivities.

• High output power - What's the point of a headphone amp if it can't drive any more than your iPod? The TTVJ portable puts out 3.3V RMS and up to 100mA of output current, so can easily drive any headphones. The regulated power supply guarantees full output power over the life of the battery.

• DC-coupled design - The signal path in most portable amps is AC-coupled, with a single power supply. This requires the audio signal to pass through multiple capacitors, which degrade the sound and limit frequency response. The TTVJ portable has a bipolar power supply, allowing the audio path to be DC-coupled. That means the low-frequency response extends from 0Hz to over 100kHz!

• Long-lasting, rechargeable battery - The TTVJ portable contains a lithium-ion battery which will power the amp for more than 15 hours at typical listening levels. It recharges in about 2 hours from any USB port, or a USB wall charger. You can also operate it while plugged in to keep the battery topped off.

Specifications:

• Frequency response: DC to >100kHz, ±1dB; 20Hz - 20kHz ±0.1dB @ 1V out
• Maximum output: 3.29V RMS into 150Ω; 2.14V RMS into 33Ω
• Output source impedance: Approximately 2Ω
• THD+N: 0.004% @ 1V RMS out into 150Ω or 33Ω
• Broadband noise: <10μV RMS, unweighted, integrated over 20Hz - 20kHz
• Output DC offset: <5mV
• Input impedance: 10kΩ
• Maximum input level: 2V RMS
• Channel tracking (gain difference between channels, all volume steps): <±0.2dB
• Maximum gain: 0dB, 10dB, or 20dB (switch-selectable), ±<0.5dB
• Dimensions: 104mm long x 70mm wide x 12mm thick

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 24
looks sexy. Are you going to make standalone(?) DAC in future?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 24
I spent a couple hours with the amp only, using both a Denon pdcp and both 2g ipod nano and 1g itouch as a source, and with JH13s and HF2s as headphones. I wasn't doing any formal critical listening, so I can't comment on specifics (plus, it was a month ago, so memory is a poor critic), but I liked what I heard enough to be interested in this amp. It's also the perfect size if you're using an itouch, as it fits underneath it just right. The only thing I didn't like is the volume dial, which took a bit of turning to increase or decrease the volume significantly, but I also look at this as a positive since it can't be bumped lightly or ears blasted with volume accidentally, and you can actually get the precise volume you want. I particularly liked it as an HF2 amp.

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent a couple hours with the amp only, using both a Denon pdcp and both 2g ipod nano and 1g itouch as a source, and with JH13s and HF2s as headphones. I wasn't doing any formal critical listening, so I can't comment on specifics (plus, it was a month ago, so memory is a poor critic), but I liked what I heard enough to be interested in this amp. It's also the perfect size if you're using an itouch, as it fits underneath it just right. The only thing I didn't like is the volume dial, which took a bit of turning to increase or decrease the volume significantly, but I also look at this as a positive since it can't be bumped lightly or ears blasted with volume accidentally, and you can actually get the precise volume you want. I particularly liked it as an HF2 amp.

Was there any hiss with the JH13's?

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 24
How does this compare to the larger Millet tube portable in sound...also is there a way to retro fit the Portable tube amps with the DAC?

I am likely going to get a N900 by Nokia- and if the USB out works for sound on the N900 ..this could be the best single portable solution for phone and sound if combined with a portable tube amp. not to mention it is a full blown computer and has built in video out.... so when paired with a USB tube dac.... well.... it could be the best portable (standard def) video player with great sund as well-

hmmmm

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Monkey" do you know how the dac in the ttvj portable compares to the pico dac only? Thanks.

I like the Pico DAC better. But the TTVJ Portable amp is a better combo with the JH13. I'm very much looking forward to the Pico Slim, but the combo of such a small amp/DAC with the ability to drive IEMs without hiss makes the TTVJ amp/DAC a strong component.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well will this amp run HD-600s?

How does the output compare with other portable amps like the pico and predator?

I'll give it a try with the HD600 sometime soon, but I'm not expecting miracles. I think the amp sounds better than the predator and it is a toss-up to me between the TTVJ and the Pico.

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 24
Thanks for the reply. I would like to try this amp, I'm just not sure if it will be that much different than the ALO rx I already own. Which, sounds excellent with the JH13's too.

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 24
I've heard good things about the ALO rx, but haven't had the chance to listen.

I should add that I also love the form factor of the TTVJ Portable, and the LED volume indicator. And I'm not sure if it's any help but I am very impressed by the bass with the TTVJ. More quantity without boominess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back