Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Jun 12, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #5,416 of 6,511
Well do you also have Norne Interconnects to make the setup complete?
Ha! Alas no, but I do have Moon Audio Silver Dragon interconnects, and I am sticking with them!

Jun 12, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #5,417 of 6,511
Ha! Alas no, but I do have Moon Audio Silver Dragon interconnects, and I am sticking with them!
Fair enough.
Enjoy the system :wink:

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #5,418 of 6,511
I just got XLR interconnects from Norne for my WA33 and Blue Hawaii. One set arrived Monday the other is pending. Moved up from Pangea cables. Seems more open sounding. Also noticed I am one step lower on my volume pot then with the other cables. Interesting 🤔. Maybe the heavier gauge is the difference?

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #5,419 of 6,511
I just got XLR interconnects from Norne for my WA33 and Blue Hawaii. One set arrived Monday the other is pending. Moved up from Pangea cables. Seems more open sounding. Also noticed I am one step lower on my volume pot then with the other cables. Interesting 🤔. Maybe the heavier gauge is the difference?
Vykari interconnects?
Waiting on mine. The jump will be huge from some 30 Bucks interconnects.

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #5,420 of 6,511
Jun 12, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #5,421 of 6,511
Very nice.
Any impressions you can share with your 12t? Any chance you have any other of Trevor’s creations you can compare with the S4?

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #5,422 of 6,511
Very nice.
Any impressions you can share with your 12t? Any chance you have any other of Trevor’s creations you can compare with the S4?

I've only had it for a few days and initially it felt heavy on back of the ears after longer sessions but I think I'm getting more and more used to it every session. Build quality is exceptional as you'd expect from Norne and aesthetically these are exactly to my preference. Microphonics are low but present.

Not sure if I can recommend this to everybody due to the weight. You must remember this was designed for full sized headphones and it is 19awg, much more than typical IEM wires. Time will tell if I decide to keep it or go for a lighter cable. A shirt clip might help but why complicate things.

Sadly can't comment much about the sound since gear for me these days mostly boils down to just "Yup, these are pretty good!".

I have not owned any other Norne IEM cables.

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #5,423 of 6,511
Hi all,

I'm looking for a short cable to link my new AK Kann Alpha to my Focal Utopia.

3 years ago, I bought a Draug Silver from Trevor for the Utopia and iBasso DX200 with good results. I quickly sold the iBasso and the cable as I was merely using my transportable setup.

I am now in a situation that will require significant use of a transportable setup. I bought an adapter with 4.4 TRRRS plug for my 10 feet 21 AWG solid OCC silver conductors cable but it's heavy and cumbersome.

For the headfiers that had to chance to experiment with Trevor's cables and Utopia, which is the best option in your opinion? Drausk? S4? Vykari?

The Alpha give a large soundstage and great separation but I might want a bit more bass quantity (quality is pretty good).

Thanks for any opinion.

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #5,424 of 6,511
I recently received my S4 that I am using with my ZMF VO. This is my second Norne cable. My other is a Draug 3 that I use for the LCD-X and also previously the ZMFs. As always, the construction is top notch.

I am not skilled in describing sound with words so take this FWIW, but spending some time doing A/B (not blind) with the S4 and Draug 3 I have convinced myself that the S4 is a step up in detail resolution specifically in 'texture', if that makes sense. For example, for you electronic fans in Distant Lights by Zhu, there is a long hold bass note and piano type note throughout the track. Both of these notes clearly have more edge/texture to them where the Draug 3 is smoother. Matter of taste really. I wouldn't say one or the other is better and we are talking minor differences. It also pronounced the vocals slightly vs. the Draug. Overall, I would say the change is less dramatic than a pad swap for the ZMF (for those familiar with that), but it did meet my expectations. My goal was to keep the BE2 hybrid pads which provided a slight bass emphasis to the ZMF but the vocals were too recessed for my liking vs. the Verite pad. Adding the S4, to my ears, brought things back to be a little more neutral while maintaining the slight bass emphasis I was looking for from the pad swap. I want to use the word brighter here, but I know that may turn some people off. I was not expecting the overall increase in detail, that is an added bonus. Probably also worth noting that my general sound preference is neutral with a slight bass lift (I know, that's no longer neutral but you get the idea!). I'm not one to look for the ultimate smooth, warm, gooey sound. I want the most amount of detail without being fatiguing.

Oh, and the cable looks great. Let's be honest that was 80% of the reason I got it!

IMG_0283.jpeg

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #5,425 of 6,511
I recently received my S4 that I am using with my ZMF VO. This is my second Norne cable. My other is a Draug 3 that I use for the LCD-X and also previously the ZMFs. As always, the construction is top notch.

I am not skilled in describing sound with words so take this FWIW, but spending some time doing A/B (not blind) with the S4 and Draug 3 I have convinced myself that the S4 is a step up in detail resolution specifically in 'texture', if that makes sense. For example, for you electronic fans in Distant Lights by Zhu, there is a long hold bass note and piano type note throughout the track. Both of these notes clearly have more edge/texture to them where the Draug 3 is smoother. Matter of taste really. I wouldn't say one or the other is better and we are talking minor differences. It also pronounced the vocals slightly vs. the Draug. Overall, I would say the change is less dramatic than a pad swap for the ZMF (for those familiar with that), but it did meet my expectations. My goal was to keep the BE2 hybrid pads which provided a slight bass emphasis to the ZMF but the vocals were too recessed for my liking vs. the Verite pad. Adding the S4, to my ears, brought things back to be a little more neutral while maintaining the slight bass emphasis I was looking for from the pad swap. I want to use the word brighter here, but I know that may turn some people off. I was not expecting the overall increase in detail, that is an added bonus. Probably also worth noting that my general sound preference is neutral with a slight bass lift (I know, that's no longer neutral but you get the idea!). I'm not one to look for the ultimate smooth, warm, gooey sound. I want the most amount of detail without being fatiguing.

Oh, and the cable looks great. Let's be honest that was 80% of the reason I got it!

IMG_0283.jpeg
What wood is your VO?

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #5,427 of 6,511

Here's how far gone I am in this hobby: I feel no shame in totally agreeing with you.

I ordered my new 7' Drausk w/transparent cover partly because of the terrific things people say about Norne cables--but also partly because the looks of this cable absolutely knock me out.

Just heard from Trevor that the cable is on the way, so it'll be "Christmas in July" for me...

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #5,429 of 6,511

Users who are viewing this thread

Back