o2 headphone amp broken?
Apr 3, 2020 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RomanT

New Head-Fier
Hey all!

I think I broke my o2 headphone amp. Only one channel works now. If the headphone plug is halfway in, I hear both left and right, but it's mono.

I think it happened when I was messing around with the wires of my headphone and they touched.

Is it easily fixed? or should I buy a new amp?

Apr 3, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 7
I would say to buy a new headphone amplifier, JDS Atom or Schiit Magni.

Apr 4, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks!

It seems like the Atom is the successor of the o2, yet it's 30 dollars cheaper. Is it better?

I'm not that big of an audiofile (still, Hifiman he-500 headphone). Would getting a 150-200 euro amp make much difference?

Apr 4, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 7
The Atom is one of the best headphone amp on the market per testing at audiosciencereview.com. The only real complaint is the plastic case.

Apr 4, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks! It seems like the Atom is the successor of the o2, yet it's 30 dollars cheaper. Is it better?
I'm not that big of an audiofile (still, Hifiman he-500 headphone). Would getting a 150-200 euro amp make much difference?
The JDS Atom offers more power then the O2 and I guess the O2 already had enough power for your needs.
So I do not see a good reason for spending more.

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 7
I had one of jds amplifiers fail in this way, though mine I was able to repair by opening it up and wedging the board forward. What had happened was the single threaded mount holding the board forward against the front of the case developed some movement in it, and the board pushed back away from the front. This caused my headphone plug to not fully seat in the jack and channel cut out. I don't know if yours is the same, it could be different, but it may be worth a look.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 7
I had one of jds amplifiers fail in this way, though mine I was able to repair by opening it up and wedging the board forward. What had happened was the single threaded mount holding the board forward against the front of the case developed some movement in it, and the board pushed back away from the front. This caused my headphone plug to not fully seat in the jack and channel cut out. I don't know if yours is the same, it could be different, but it may be worth a look.
I moved things around a bit but no luck. Will order the Atom (150 euros to Europe) soon unless anyone has another idea. It was an odac+o2, so will still use the odac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back