Problem with SR850's and Asus Xonar DG on my PC
Mar 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ice213

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here so if this is the wrong place to post this query then sorry and if you could direct me to the correct forum that would be great :).

I recently bought myself a pair of Samson SR850's to use on my PC whilst gaming (mostly) and I have had a Xonar DG for just over a month, but I have a bit of a strange problem occuring with them. Basically when i've got the headphones on and i'm playing a game, or browsing the internet, and there is sound (music, effects etc) then there isn't a problem, but when the music stops, or i pause the game, there is silence first, but then gradually a buzzing/humming noise starts in the headphones, but as soon as any sort of sound is pumped out it stops, then gradually comes back.

An example of this would be me playing Kingdoms of amalur recently, if i pause the game and go into the pause menu there is silence, followed by the buzzing/humming. Then if i hover the mouse over one of the options in the menu, a thud effect happens in game, and the buzzing humming completely disappears because a sound is made, then theres some silence, then the buzzing/humming gradually comes back in.

Sorry if i haven't explained this too well, but if you need an extra information i would be happy to give it.

One other problem i have actually is that if i use the Xonar DG audio centre and alter any settings such as how many channels (2,4,6,8) or untick/tick dolby headphones etc, anything I have currently open stops producing sound. So if i was in a game, alt tabbed out of it, changed an audio setting and went back in, then there would be literally no sound at all. This includes the internet too, but strangely enough not my music player.

If anyone could help me with either or both of these problems i'd be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 5
The humming/buzzing sounds sounds like your getting interferance somewhere in your system probally from inside your PC. Not a lot you can do about that really other than mayby trying to shield the DG with somthing.

As for the sound cutting out when you change settings in the DG control panel I have the same problem. It also happens to any program that plays music so firefox, windows music player etc. Found no solution to this other than shutting down all the programs then changing settings then opening all the programs again its a right pain.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 5
Did you turn off the on-board sound (in the bios)?
Try a free program call Wise Registry Cleaner, helps clear out "funny" stuff from the registry.
I usually run the program Wise Disk Cleaner first.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 5
Disabling the onboard audio chip through BIOS or Device Manager can indeed solve the issues. Some soundcards have issues with being installed alongside other audio devices, and onboard audio chips are often the culprits.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 5
I have a Xonar DG also, using with Equation Audio RP-21 cans. I had the same problem as you describe. I solved it by gong to the Xonar Control Panel and turning off "SVN" (Smart Volume) works great now. Smart Volume increases gain way too much when there is very low input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back