Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
May 1, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #2,131 of 2,156
Hi,

Is there a way to have the Qobuz windows app output to a device on your wifi network like Tidal Connect? I've recently purchased a Hifiman EF499 which has streaming. It works with Tidal Connect and pretty much any app on my iphone including Qobuz as its using AirPlay, but the Qobuz Windows app just doesn't show it on the output list.

If this feature is missing, is there a workaround?

Update: Sorry I can see this has literally been discussed in the posts above. Is there a workaround anyone can recommend then in the meantime?

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #2,132 of 2,156
So downloaded Audirvana and it works with qobuz through that. Problem solved I guess.

May 1, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #2,133 of 2,156
So downloaded Audirvana and it works with qobuz through that. Problem solved I guess.
I've been using Audirvana + Qobuz for about 2 years now, and even with the additional expense of the SaaS subscription model for Audirvana it's worth it to me for the sound quality. I hope you find it worthwhile as well.

May 2, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #2,135 of 2,156
Roon is also worth checking out and works brilliantly with Qobuz.
I did look at Roon first but it was twice as the price for me as Audirvana, so it didn't make much sense.

May 2, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #2,136 of 2,156
I did look at Roon first but it was twice as the price for me as Audirvana, so it didn't make much sense.
Yes, but it has next generation user interface compared to Audirvana.

May 2, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #2,137 of 2,156
May 2, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #2,138 of 2,156
Is it much better and worth the cost?
Well next generational would mean a big upgrade so in terms of user interface/experience it is worth it.

I tried Audirvana for the first time last night and I couldn't believe how difficult and unresponsive it was compared to Roon. It was honestly like going back 15 years to a time of how user interfaces were built.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #2,140 of 2,156
The problem with Roon is that for all it's convenience and great user interface it doesn't sound as good as Audirvana.
It is a question of priorities.
I was a Roon + HQplayer user for years until I heard Audirvana.
What aspects are better? playing Tidal/Qobuz through Roon vs playing Tidal/Qobuz through Audirvana, would they sound the same or are there legitimate improvements that you can notice?

May 2, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #2,141 of 2,156
What aspects are better? playing Tidal/Qobuz through Roon vs playing Tidal/Qobuz through Audirvana, would they sound the same or are there legitimate improvements that you can notice?
Yes. Playing qobuz through Audirvana sounds better to me then qobuz through Roon. Just all round better SQ. Others may hear things differently but there are many similar opinions to be found in these threads.
(Also Audirvana allows you to use the Goodherz crossfeed plug in if you like that kind of thing. The best I have come across.)

May 2, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #2,142 of 2,156
Yes, but it has next generation user interface compared to Audirvana.
To be fair, regardless of the noticeable (to me anyway) sound quality bump with Audirvana, if you have other requirements, Roon may be the better choice. For example, if you have multiple streaming endpoints (multi-room configurations), Roon is very much engineered for that use case. I don't need any of those extra features, so Audirvana works best for me.

May 2, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #2,143 of 2,156
To be fair, regardless of the noticeable (to me anyway) sound quality bump with Audirvana, if you have other requirements, Roon may be the better choice. For example, if you have multiple streaming endpoints (multi-room configurations), Roon is very much engineered for that use case. I don't need any of those extra features, so Audirvana works best for me.
After some initial A/B testing using Qobuz on Audirvana against Qobuz on Roon I found that there is definitely a wider soundstage on Audirvana.

Update: ok I will put up with the user interface on Audirvana because the sound quality is noticeably better than Roon. The soundstage is wider, the detail is better as instruments just seem to "pop" more with Audirvana, bass is cleaner (more texture) and the overall sound is just more natural. :L3000:

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #2,144 of 2,156
After some initial A/B testing using Qobuz on Audirvana against Qobuz on Roon I found that there is definitely a wider soundstage on Audirvana.

Update: ok I will put up with the user interface on Audirvana because the sound quality is noticeably better than Roon. The soundstage is wider, the detail is better as instruments just seem to "pop" more with Audirvana, bass is cleaner (more texture) and the overall sound is just more natural. :L3000:
Not to divert this thread too much, but does Audirvana upsample the same way HQPlayer does?

May 2, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #2,145 of 2,156
Not to divert this thread too much, but does Audirvana upsample the same way HQPlayer does?
It does have the option to up-sample using SoX or r8brain, with multiple available parameters. Don't know if it's the same as HQPlayer, but it's very usable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back