Review: Sony MDR-7550
Aug 25, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #226 of 256
I was reading a few pages back. But to be clear, I just get tweezers and pull out the disc? How hard is it to do that?

Tweezers... or whatever, yeah. It's just some kind of semi-flexible plastic foil with a hole that's stuck in there, so very easy to do.

Can someone show me a picture of your nozzle looks like, I feel that my EX800st's nozzle is missing something.. or not :D

No it looks how it's supposed to.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #228 of 256
^same, I think I'd keep it stock for a while, I may ended up trying it out when I feel the need for a refresh tho :ksc75smile:
It sounds so good out of my 4S. I didn't try using the Dragonfly connected to my phone, but sadly it's a bit too sensitive for that, it picks up the hiss and noises the phone makes too much.. In a way it is even more sensitive than my IM02.

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #229 of 256
Thanks. It's more reassuring but scared because its irreversible

It's true though technically speaking it's nothing ground breaking and you could change back the sound to how it was (or make it even darker/less airy than the stock 800ST) by making DYI filters or applying tape to the port so that it's partially covered (essentially that's exactly what those covers did). So yeah it's not reversible in the sense that it may not look exactly the same but I think it's well worth the risk, given that even if you don't like the bigger/airier and more detailed sound you could easily mod it back to sound the same again.

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #230 of 256
Late to the party, but I have a question : Are there any counterfeits/fake EX800st/7550, cuz i've seen many EX1000 reported to be Chinese replica, is this the situation with this IEM.

EX1000's chinese replicas probably sold through taobao, they are REALLY cheap there, something like 100-150$ last time I checked.
As for MDR7550 - I don't know, but if you want them for less money - search for MDR EX800ST on eBay/Amazon.
Also, consider the fact that it is less probable that EX800ST replicas will be made, due to MDR7550 being a more popular version.

this have been discussed before (if you bothered to check the various EX1000 threads), there are no known chinese replicas (it simply a hassle to copy and not enough market demand to actually make them)

the reason its cheap from taobao is simply because they get it direct from Japan (it helps when you're neighbours). New in box (relatively) for taobao, EX1000 is around $300+ while EX800 is around $180+. Also some of them are listed as used (the really cheap ones). Same with buying any used item, its all up to your luck. Some of them can be in quite good condition.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #231 of 256
hi. any specific cable materials (copper, copper/spc, silver, etc.) that benefits the mdr 7550? planning to use it on sony wm1a balanced. any response is greatly appreciated.

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #235 of 256
it's above the foam, I recommend using a wood toothpick to pry it out, so you won't scratch the plastic like I did (used a small tweezers), but do it carefully so you don't break it,! also, I recommend doing it upside down (nozzle facing down) so the foam dont fall into the IEM, as most 7550 is old the foam start flaking off whnn you start poking it.
otherwise, be patient and Good Luck.

Mar 28, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #236 of 256
can anyone that have both tell me what's the difference between EX 1000 cable to 7550 one?

Mar 29, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #237 of 256
Seems like the exk has a higher quality cable.........however I doubt that you’ll hear the differences cuz it’s liek something 99.9 vs 99.999999 copper cable lmao.
However I recommend swapping it for a silver one......helps with the treble and mids (ex series are rly bass heavy).....the exk cable is expensive.....bout 100 usd if I recall correctly.

Mar 29, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #238 of 256
it's above the foam, I recommend using a wood toothpick to pry it out, so you won't scratch the plastic like I did (used a small tweezers), but do it carefully so you don't break it,! also, I recommend doing it upside down (nozzle facing down) so the foam dont fall into the IEM, as most 7550 is old the foam start flaking off whnn you start poking it.
otherwise, be patient and Good Luck.
Thx m8

Mar 29, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #239 of 256
(ex series are rly bass heavy)

Really? My ex1k isn’t bass heavy at all. Neither is the EX800ST in my opinion but it’s definitely bassier than the EX1K.

Mar 29, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #240 of 256
yeah they aint bass heavy at all, they have less bass than my (obviously bassier) XBA N3 and even compared to my IM04 they're less.

Unless you're doing the vent tape mod?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back