RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 4, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #6,001 of 6,034
Never had that issue with my ADI-2 DAC or 2/4 Pro. Must be a house issue?
The effect is real and not a house issue, it happens when the USB cable is disconnected from the source, in this case there is no grounding.
By connecting the USB cable, the ADI-2 acquires the ground from the source and the effect disappears.
If the source is ungrounded and is connected to the mains via a two-pin plug, there will be noise

May 4, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #6,002 of 6,034
The effect is real and not a house issue, it happens when the USB cable is disconnected from the source, in this case there is no grounding.
By connecting the USB cable, the ADI-2 acquires the ground from the source and the effect disappears.
If the source is ungrounded and is connected to the mains via a two-pin plug, there will be noise
So my question is this. Why would you want to be disconnected from a source and touching your headphones? Just curious.

May 4, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #6,003 of 6,034
So my question is this. Why would you want to be disconnected from a source and touching your headphones? Just curious.
If you have the ADI-2 connected to an ungrounded source which could be a streamer (e.g. a Bluesound Node) or a battery powered source such as a smartphone or if you want to connect it via optical toslink or coaxial, you can't do this without getting noise, also the noise increases when touching the headphones but to a lesser extent it is always present.

May 4, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #6,004 of 6,034
If you have the ADI-2 connected to an ungrounded source which could be a streamer (e.g. a Bluesound Node) or a battery powered source such as a smartphone or if you want to connect it via optical toslink or coaxial, you can't do this without getting noise, also the noise increases when touching the headphones but to a lesser extent it is always present.
Thanks for the knowledge.

May 4, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #6,005 of 6,034
Never had that issue with my ADI-2 DAC or 2/4 Pro. Must be a house issue?
Two pronged adapter on my laptop, plus 2 pronged adapter on adi 2 dac fs equalled nothing having a ground in my portable setup. Got buzzez when id touch my each cups as i became leakage point. Grounded power supply means adi 2 dac fs is now grounded. Before with two prong brick, it is not. Wiring in my house is straight.

As far as i know..the other adi series come with three prong.

May 7, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #6,006 of 6,034
It took a while to find a hard case that fits the RME  and its cables well, so I thought I'd share my find. This is the Lykus HC-3810. It's a fairly large case, but not too heavy. In the pics you can see how I went about picking and plucking the Pick and Pluck Foam. Everything's snug and secure in there, with nothing left out except the manual. Hope this helps someone else.

20231217_195449.jpg

20231217_195512.jpg

20231217_195558.jpg

20231217_195615.jpg
I was also interested by transporting my RME ADI-2 2/4 I just bought second hand !

I wanted something smaller for my bag so I found this on Aliexpress. I will post an update for those interested !

May 7, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #6,007 of 6,034
I picked up the NT-RME-12. No more weird grounding issues when i touch my lcd-x. Why it didn't come with this is a mystery.
What is the difference between this and the supplied PSU? Did it change the sound?

May 7, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #6,009 of 6,034
The supplied power supply is two prong. The nt rme 12 is three prong providing a ground. No sonic change.
Thanks. I'm in the UK so mine has a Figure 8 socket and a cable with a standard 3 pin power plug so no advantage here. I have been wondering about getting a linear power supply for it but I'm also considering a battery pack which should last long enough for a listening session and would be useful to have for recharging phones, etc. in an emergency. I know that RME say it doesn't make any difference sonically but I find it hard to believe.

May 7, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #6,010 of 6,034
Thanks. I'm in the UK so mine has a Figure 8 socket and a cable with a standard 3 pin power plug so no advantage here. I have been wondering about getting a linear power supply for it but I'm also considering a battery pack which should last long enough for a listening session and would be useful to have for recharging phones, etc. in an emergency. I know that RME say it doesn't make any difference sonically but I find it hard to believe.
RME doesn’t do audiophile snake oil. It won’t make a difference in sound.

May 7, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #6,014 of 6,034
RME doesn’t do audiophile snake oil. It won’t make a difference in sound.
I do trust them, but having heard the difference replacing the power cable on my amp with a high quality one and upgrading from one PSU to another in my previous Naim Audio system, I don't regard it as snake oil but a valid upgrade. PSUs and cables are very important.

May 7, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #6,015 of 6,034
I do trust them, but having heard the difference replacing the power cable on my amp with a high quality one and upgrading from one PSU to another in my previous Naim Audio system, I don't regard it as snake oil but a valid upgrade. PSUs and cables are very important.
Your money is better spent buying better headphones, but you do you. Confirmation bias is a powerful thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back