Roon is live
Dec 20, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #632 of 701
One of the DSP alternatives. The Audeze presets on Roon are convolution filters.

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #634 of 701
I recently read about convolution filters and that piqued my interest.

Can everything be used during a Roon Trial or are there features locked behind the licensed version, no matter what?

Do the convolution filters require certain Hardware minimums for the Core?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #635 of 701
Can everything be used during a Roon Trial or are there features locked behind the licensed version, no matter what?
A Roon trial is fully functional. No features are blocked.

Do the convolution filters require certain Hardware minimums for the Core?
The best place to look or ask for information is the Roon community forum. Here is a thread on the topic:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-much-computer-power-is-needed/207816

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #636 of 701
Mar 31, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #637 of 701
Question: Is there any difference (SQ wise or other) between either lowering the output gain applying the "Procedural EQ" in Roon (eg. volume down by - 12dB) or doing the same using an external amp.?

Apr 10, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #638 of 701
How do I move Roon to a new Windows laptop when my old machine is broken and dead?

I have a Roon lifetime subscription that I originally installed about 7 years ago on my now decommissioned/dead Windows PC and I would like to install it to my current (good) Windows laptop that I have my Jriver setup on.
I can sign on to Roon (my credentials are still valid and it recognizes my subscription (as still active for life).

I'm not trying to move any roon data or setup info, I'm just trying to start from scratch with a roon installation.
========================================================================
Just FYI (for a further question later but I thought it was relevant. Sorry for all the TMI...):
My ultimate goal is to use roon to use my Qobuz account on my iFi Zen Streamer (on my wifi network that is controlled by my iPhone 10).
(My iPhone is used for remote control purposes only). I can't get Qobuz to work with the Zen. I tried mConnect but it doesn't see the Zen streamer (see below).

I mainly use my Zen with output to my EMM dac via SPDIF over coax. (Sound quality is great to my ears.)

Currently I use an SSD with a big FLAC library directly connected to my Zen streamer and the iFi app on my iPhone. My xfinity router is in another room, so I use wifi for the Zen.

I tried mConnect on my iPhone but it doesn't see my Zen Streamer (after all sorts of re-install efforts). So I read that Roon is the way to go, and since I think I own it, I'm giving it a try.

Thanks for any help.

PS: I'm shake-y on my Roon architecture knowledge; sorry. So any help here or info-links about Roon are welcome.

Again, probably TMI here, but thanks for any tips.
(edit only for small spelling error)

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #639 of 701
How to I move Roon to a new Windows laptop when my old machine is broken and dead?

I have a Roon lifetime subscription that I originally installed about 7 years ago on my now decommissioned/dead Windows PC and I would like to install it to my current (good) Windows laptop that I have my Jriver setup on.
I can sign on to Roon (my credentials are still valid and it recognizes my subscription (as still active for life).

I'm not trying to move any roon data or setup info, I'm just trying to start from scratch with a roon installation.
Just FYI (for a further question later but I thought it was relevant. Sorry for all the TMI...):
My ultimate goal is to use roon to use my Qobuz account on my iFi Zen Streamer (on my wifi network that is controlled by my iPhone 10).
(My iPhone is used for remote control purposes only). I can't get Qobuz to work with the Zen. I tried mConnect but it doesn't see the Zen streamer (see below).

I mainly use my Zen with output to my EMM dac via SPDIF over coax. (Sound quality is great to my ears.)

Currently I use an SSD with a big FLAC library directly connected to my Zen streamer and the iFi app on my iPhone. My xfinity router is in another room, so I use wifi for the Zen.

I tried mConnect on my iPhone but it doesn't see my Zen Streamer (after all sorts of re-install efforts). So I read that Roon is the way to go, and since I think I own it, I'm giving it a try.

Thanks for any help.

PS: I'm shake-y on my Roon architecture knowledge; sorry. So any help here or info-links about Roon are welcome.

Again, probably TMI here, but thanks for any tips.
Okay, I'm not sure what the exact question you need answered, but I can confirm it's super easy to transfer your Roon license to any computer at any time as many times as you want. You can only have one active server at time. However, you can have as many servers as you want set up on as many setups as you want. Once you use your log in credentials, it will ask you if you want to use the computer you've signed into as the active server. I used to have 3 server set ups before Roon ARC came along. Zero issues. I've been a Roon lifetime user for at least 7 years as well.

As for comparison to mconnect, hands down Roon is better. I'd suggest using your old windows machine as a dedicated Roon server and leave it off your new laptop. Use Roon ARC when you are traveling. Unless you are operating multiple zones with active encoding/transcoding, you don't need have powerful hardware to run Roon.

Apr 10, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #640 of 701
How to I move Roon to a new Windows laptop when my old machine is broken and dead?
As @Daniel Johnston said, It should be dead simple to just install Roon on the new computer and select it as the core.
Is Roon already installed on the laptop and did it used to access the now dead core? (if not, just install Roon and go through the set-up)
If so, you should see a screen like this when you try to start Roon:
1681161566025.png

So you would click on "select a different core" and get this:
1681161623350.png

Click yes and the you get this:
1681161655821.png

Click "use this PC" and you get this:
1681161754106.png

Then you sign in and go through the set-up process.
You may need to "de-authorize" the old core.
There are rare occasions that Roon think you are already logged in and will need to do a few other thing, but let's not ask for trouble. Try it and let us know how it goes.
But that is pretty much it.

Attachments

• 1681161705167.png
    1681161705167.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 11, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #642 of 701
Thanks a million for going to the trouble of those detailed answers, it really helped me.
I got roon up and running (core and app) on my PC with Qobuz streaming to roon (on my laptop) and I'm working on it as a Jriver front-end too.
(I had to fuss a bit with exclusive mode toggling since roon defaults to that to keep my old things running, but I managed that.)
I will work with Tidal too.
Eventually, I'll go about moving the core to a separate PC and try ARC.
Again, big thanks!

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #643 of 701
Thanks a million for going to the trouble of those detailed answers, it really helped me.
I got roon up and running (core and app) on my PC with Qobuz streaming to roon (on my laptop) and I'm working on it as a Jriver front-end too.
(I had to fuss a bit with exclusive mode toggling since roon defaults to that to keep my old things running, but I managed that.)
I will work with Tidal too.
Eventually, I'll go about moving the core to a separate PC and try ARC.
Again, big thanks!
I moved my core to a dedicated Intel Nuc using ROCK (Roon Optimized Core Kit) so I can leave it on and not worry about windows updates.

See here for more info:
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-optimized-core-kit

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #645 of 701
This is a fantastic thread!

I'm planning to try the free trial of Roon tomorrow on my Windows 10 PC and connect my Warwick Acoustics Bravura Sonoma energizer (arriving tomorrow) to my computer using a USB cable. I'm excited to have it combine my collection of music, Qobuz, and Tidal.

I do wish I had taken advantage of the $699 deal on the lifetime subscription. I ran some calculations today, and I think I'm better off investing the difference between the new lifetime price and the monthly subscription into stocks, then opting for the monthly subscription.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back