SA6's on their way; a few questions!
Sep 13, 2008 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Obstinate

Head-Fier
Okay, I'm very excited and it sucks that they won't come until Tuesday or Wednesday. But I have a few questions:

1. How good are they at blocking out wind noise? I cycle everyday, and this is of the utmost importance!

2. What is a good set-up for diverse musical tastes? I mostly listen to Elliott Smith, Indie, Instrumental Rock, 60s music, and Underground Hip-Hop. For the most part, mostly music with a large soundscape and baroque musical arrangements.

3. How good do the ear tips stay in the ear? I've had a problem in the past with earbuds flying out of my ear while riding and....well obviously that'd be a huge problem.

4. I've heard problems about how durable they are. Has anyone had any problems?

5. Is there anything that tells you whether it's the left ear or right?

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 3
1. I find that they isolate as well if not slightly better than any other IEM I have used although this is dependent on fit and seal, some users like myself prefer other tips rather than the stock bi-flanges but you should make your own assessment once you get them. One of the negatives of IEMs is microphonics where sound is conducted through the cable to the ear, this could be a problem for you if cycling as you will most likely pick up a bit of wind noise from the cables. You may have to experiment with wearing the cable over your ear, using a shirt clip or even using the Y join slider to reduce the length or the earpiece cables.

2. I suggest you start with = base and treble and move up or down either side till you find the right combo to suit your source and preferred sonic characteristics.

3. Once again depends what tips you settle on and how active you are while using them, however if you are getting a good seal you should not have any problems, certainly they should be far better than earbuds. I personally don't find they move at all once I get a good seal. Just a side note though you want to try to avoid a seal that actually creates a slight vacuum in your ear canal which I find causes a slight pull on my eardrum and really narrows the sound spectrum.

4. I would suggest you settle on a port and tube combination and stick with it. Perpetual tweaking and changing will eventually result in unnecessary wear and tear especially on the treble tube housing and possibly allow moisture and dust to enter through the bass port opening none of which is ideal. Having said that if you do have any issues you can rest assured that the Sleek team will do their best to correct the problem in the shortest possible time frame.

5. There are L & R markings on the connection cables for each earpiece but they are not so easily discernable especially in low light situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back