Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 5, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #7,051 of 7,157
I ordered the Holo Audio Red DDC/Streamer, so just gotta wait a month before I get the unit, Ive read the Unison USB doesn't play well with DDC's? Is the BNC connection good? what do you all think? Ive never used the Gumbi with a DDC so its all new to me.
I use this combo, as Unison USB is switched to my PC, to play games. For music I use Roon on NAS and via Red the signal comes to Gungnir BNC. Cannot say anything wrong about this, I like how it sounds :).

May 5, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #7,053 of 7,157
Anyone here prefer the Gumby over Yggy after a good amount of time with both?

I'd be curious to know that as well.

Also there is a Gungnir with he AD DAC chips for sale on CAM for $900 (CAD). Would save me some money over getting a Yggy. But how much better is the Gungnir over the Bifrost 2 (not 2/64)? Also would it be bad in any way to stand the Gungnir on its end? Given my current set up it may have to stand on its end on the floor. It would still be vented well enough.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #7,054 of 7,157
I'd be curious to know that as well.

Also there is a Gungnir with he AD DAC chips for sale on CAM for $900 (CAD). Would save me some money over getting a Yggy. But how much better is the Gungnir over the Bifrost 2 (not 2/64)? Also would it be bad in any way to stand the Gungnir on its end? Given my current set up it may have to stand on its end on the floor. It would still be vented well enough.
I would say it like this-
Gumby Multibit is closer to A1 (or GS2) Yggdrasil than it is to Bifrost.
Decent step up from Bifrost, smaller but noticeable step to Yggy, then another Baby step to A2 or MiB.

In summary if one is really trying to get a great sound for the money finding a used Gumby MB for ~ $700-800 is a steal.
If all you can find is $1000+ I'd start looking for a used Yggy (they can be had for $1100~ sometimes).

May 5, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #7,055 of 7,157
I would say it like this-
Gumby Multibit is closer to A1 (or GS2) Yggdrasil than it is to Bifrost.
Decent step up from Bifrost, smaller but noticeable step to Yggy, then another Baby step to A2 or MiB.

In summary if one is really trying to get a great sound for the money finding a used Gumby MB for ~ $700-800 is a steal.
If all you can find is $1000+ I'd start looking for a used Yggy (they can be had for $1100~ sometimes).

What is MIB? Is A2 or MIB "better" than A1? If I need to stand it on its end would that be bad in any way? I may need to as it won't fit where my audio gear is now.

May 5, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #7,056 of 7,157
What is MIB? Is A2 or MIB "better" than A1? If I need to stand it on its end would that be bad in any way? I may need to as it won't fit where my audio gear is now.
MiB= More is Better Yggdrasil option which is like $2800. A2 is only available on used Market and is a slighlty better tuning of the same chip used on A1. A1 is available on used market, or, as a GS2 on the Schiit Store new ($1699) and is a limited time option - and a great price for a Yggy.
Maybe somebody else can answer better about if it's fine to run vertically but i think it should be fine like that.

A1/GS2 is fabulous. A2 being slightly better but very rare nowadays to find. MiB is technically better but is more of a flavor vs A1/GS2/A2. It's more resolving but less dynamic than A1(GS2)/A2.
to try and simplify A1=GS2 , same thing for the most part. And A2 is often referred to as OG.
LiM is the Less is More option runs about $2300 and is the smoothest of the lot.

The easy recommend right now is the GS2 for $1699. They only have a month or so's worth left before they are all gone and the lowest entry point new is a another step up cost-wise.

yggyspider.png
YggyTones.png

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #7,057 of 7,157
MiB= More is Better Yggdrasil option which is like $2800. A2 is only available on used Market and is a slighlty better tuning of the same chip used on A1. A1 is available on used market, or, as a GS2 on the Schiit Store new ($1699) and is a limited time option - and a great price for a Yggy.
Maybe somebody else can answer better about if it's fine to run vertically but i think it should be fine like that.

A1/GS2 is fabulous. A2 being slightly better but very rare nowadays to find. MiB is technically better but is more of a flavor vs A1/GS2/A2. It's more resolving but less dynamic than A1(GS2)/A2.
to try and simplify A1=GS2 , same thing for the most part. And A2 is often referred to as OG.
LiM is the Less is More option runs about $2300 and is the smoothest of the lot.

The easy recommend right now is the GS2 for $1699. They only have a month or so's worth left before they are all gone and the lowest entry point new is a another step up cost-wise.

yggyspider.pngYggyTones.png
Whoa, this graphic and table are brilliant

May 5, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #7,058 of 7,157
Quite helpful.

May 6, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #7,059 of 7,157
So I pulled the trigger on the used Gungnir. Should arrive tomorrow. Has anyone here compared it with the Bifrost 2? I came across this video which provided an audio sample comparison. But I'm sure a YT video is not the best way to get a good comparison.

May 6, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #7,060 of 7,157
So I pulled the trigger on the used Gungnir. Should arrive tomorrow. Has anyone here compared it with the Bifrost 2? I came across this video which provided an audio sample comparison. But I'm sure a YT video is not the best way to get a good comparison.

Gungnir was a huge improvement over Bifrost 2/64 in my system. Everything sounded better with Gungnir, more engaging. The best analogy I can come up with is that Gungnir is able to dig in deeper to the grooves of the music and pull out more detail. I'm seriously considering selling Bifrost 2/64 and looking for another Gungnir. FWIW

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #7,061 of 7,157
Gungnir was a huge improvement over Bifrost 2/64 in my system. Everything sounded better with Gungnir, more engaging. The best analogy I can come up with is that Gungnir is able to dig in deeper to the grooves of the music and pull out more detail. I'm seriously considering selling Bifrost 2/64 and looking for another Gungnir. FWIW

Thanks for that. Hopefully I will be satisfied. Apparently the Gungnir is very close to the Yggy in how they sound.

May 6, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #7,062 of 7,157
Thanks for that. Hopefully I will be satisfied. Apparently the Gungnir is very close to the Yggy in how they sound.
Let me know if you're not satisfied with Gungnir. I'd be happy to give it a good home 😁

But seriously, do give it some time to warm up before critical listening. At least 24 hrs.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #7,063 of 7,157
Let me know if you're not satisfied with Gungnir. I'd be happy to give it a good home 😁

But seriously, do give it some time to warm up before critical listening. At least 24 hrs.

Haha well I'll of course see how it sounds. If the Gungnir is truly better than the Bifrost 2 then I will be selling that one.

May 6, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #7,064 of 7,157
Haha well I'll of course see how it sounds. If the Gungnir is truly better than the Bifrost 2 then I will be selling that one.
Let us know what you think. At least to my ears, Gungnir is a phenomenal DAC for the $

May 6, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #7,065 of 7,157
It is pretty close, you will love it. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back