Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 5, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #150,646 of 152,302
I shall do that! Such great info this morn.

By the way my thanks go out to a gentleman who is sending me a WE 396 for my Vali 3. He may well make it here to visit my humble shop, meet Finnegan, and hear my audio gear.🤪
Wow, you're finally getting to share your Primaluna, Sonus Faber, Yggy system with someone other than Finnegan! What a lucky individual.

(all tongue in cheek, of course. I know you "demo" your system quite regularly.)

May 5, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #150,648 of 152,302
I was on Windows for personal use until Norton antivirus locked up my Dell XPS hard drive and I lost everything. I was still working then (with Windoz of course) but plotting my escape to Mac OSX. Since retirement, I've now switched 100% to Mac and am not looking back. I still have to Google sometimes to explore the finer (read: hidden) aspects of the Apple OS. I also have an iPhone model 5 and am never upgrading, I don't care how much they slow it down. It's mainly used for robocalls anyway. YMMV as always. :)
Give a shout if you need any MacOS help - I've been using Macs exclusively (mostly) personally since 1990.
I agree with you about the phone - you'll need a battery strategy as the only reasons I've replaced mine are: left one on the roof of a car and battery issues.

Macs make decent Roon servers, if you're using that.

May 5, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #150,649 of 152,302
I shall do that! Such great info this morn.

By the way my thanks go out to a gentleman who is sending me a WE 396 for my Vali 3. He may well make it here to visit my humble shop, pay homage to / play GEC poker with Finnegan, and hear my audio gear.🤪
FTFY....[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.] 😹

May 5, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #150,650 of 152,302
Roon server -> (electrically noise isolated from) -> Roon endpoint -> (electrically noise isolated from) -> DAC -> headphone amp.

I'm in the camp that the more electronic noise is removed/prevented from reaching the DAC and amp, the better.

Then there are the other benefits of such a chain: Roon MUSE DSP, track volume level matching, multi-room, etc.

I suppose one could do Roon server->DAC->headphone amp except that "best practices" say don't play music directly from the server (dunno why).

Otherwise one would have to acquire multiple Baetis servers, which I can't afford (nor would I want to).
I am more apt to run separate dedicated systems, make all of my cables to length, shield heavily, and run power stabilizes on the important systems. But that is just me.🤪

May 5, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #150,651 of 152,302
Give a shout if you need any MacOS help - I've been using Macs exclusively (mostly) personally since 1990.
I agree with you about the phone - you'll need a battery strategy as the only reasons I've replaced mine are: left one on the roof of a car and battery issues.

Macs make decent Roon servers, if you're using that.
Thanks. I am using my latest MacBook Pro (M1) as my Roon server, it works very well and I can multitask (e.g. look for more music) while I listen.
No interference from the Mac into the music path as Roon has the Gumby in Exclusive Mode. Nothing else besides Chrome is running on the Mac. The SQ is great. :)

May 5, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #150,652 of 152,302
Wow, you're finally getting to share your Primaluna, Sonus Faber, Yggy system with someone other than Finnegan! What a lucky individual.

(all tongue in cheek, of course. I know you "demo" your system quite regularly.)
No YGGY, I always preferred the Gumby and I have access to other incredible DAC’s as needed. My last demo was yesterday, a lady was amazed by my shop system so I wanted her to hear my main system as well as an Incubus amp with what I consider to be the perfect tubes.🤪 Naturally Finnegan charmed her.

Depending on availability I can borrow a Yggy as well as the other four top DAC’s from a comparison my local audio group did, I like choices.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #150,653 of 152,302
I am more apt to run separate dedicated systems, make all of my cables to length, shield heavily, and run power stabilizes on the important systems. But that is just me.🤪
I've been chasing a multiroom system where the same music is playing wherever I am in the house, almost Star Trek in flavor :-D
Preferably 24x7. Roon radio is the closest I've gotten.

Were I to find a decent electrician I would consider an isolated Dante network port in every room, separated from the Ethernet for computers, and a roon server, I think. Oh, and if I had as much $ as you :)

May 5, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #150,654 of 152,302
Enjoying this on a lazy Sunday morn:

DsYR4tk.png

May 5, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #150,655 of 152,302
Could you notice any difference in SQ when going from iOS devices compared to Wiim? Naturally I would go from digital out directly to Schiit DACs.
When I made the switch from iOS direct via the USB3 adapter to my Cambridge MXN10, I didn't notice any SQ improvements to speak of. Mostly, the standalone streamer was just considerably more convenient and a joy to use. No longer was my phone tethered to a USB leash while listening on the main system!

I still use my phone for my headphone stack and it still sounds great.

May 5, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #150,656 of 152,302
I've been chasing a multiroom system where the same music is playing wherever I am in the house, almost Star Trek in flavor :-D
Preferably 24x7. Roon radio is the closest I've gotten.

Were I to find a decent electrician I would consider an isolated Dante network port in every room, separated from the Ethernet for computers, and a roon server, I think. Oh, and if I had as much $ as you :)
My wife and I share different musical interests, she has her own sound system for her pottery shop. As far as money, my audio is self supporting. I help others and they help me, you and I exchanged no money.

May 5, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #150,658 of 152,302
rte: streamers and music servers. I prefer to support small American companies (like Schiit) instead of Chinese companies. Check out Small Green Computer.

But ultimately, enjoy the music no matter how you get there.

May 5, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #150,659 of 152,302
Count me as one of those whom believe strongly that PF, Rush (3rd album up through Moving Pictures anyways), and Tool are very much prog. I agree with all your list, and would add Eno, Fripp, The The/Matt Johnson... it’s fun to do a “follow” artist approach, e.g. Lake from King Crimson to ELP, or the many works of Robert Fripp (especially those where he joins Eno). Supertramp was “light” prog, IMO…

I kinda think that Yes, and Rush got less and less proggie over time, in particular (again to me) I really thought Yes had almost sold out by 90125…

My “curse” was I got to see PF, an Heart, and LZ, and Genesis, and Rush live… in the case of PF and Rush many times… Great Prog and Rock were the music of my youth…
"Who cares what they call it, as long as it swings" Cliff Townshend. Pete's dad

May 5, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #150,660 of 152,302
I don't often go in for singer/songwriter guy-with-guitar music but this is sumptuously and splendidly captivating.

Oisin Leech
'Cold Sea'

IMG_7259.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back