Scratch resistant coating for Millett Hybrid tube amplifier and other Amps
Oct 15, 2008 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Golden Ears

100+ Head-Fier
Well after getting my Millett portable hybrid tube amplifier I wanted to to be a little more special. The plain case did not reflect the quality of the sound. So I went to our production line and talked with the guys who are putting highly scratch resistant- chemical resistant coatings on the airfoils I design..

So here is my lovely Millett.

I would be willing to do a few runs of these...because I really love how they came out. it just feels better in my hand.

Also I got a material (a red urethane based material) that works to protect the bottom of the unit and also makes it strongly grip the surface you place it on (Has to be a relatively smooth surface...ie not a sofa cushion- or a newspaper that would just tear off) the material is used for insulation on the airfoils but is "Sticky" without having adhesive... you can remove it and reset it - if it gets dirty you just wash it..

So I can walk around with my headphones- and if the cable yanks on the unit... instead of the amp crashing down to the carpet.... the headphone plug just pulls out. (because the red stuff grips the table like a suction cup) ... a simple and elegant solution... I might offer precut pads for other amps...

I LOVE MY MILLETT! It puts music into my head instead of reproduced sound.

For comparison there is a 6g 160 Gig ipod classic and a brand new iMod 5.5 g 80 gig and of course a regular uncoated Millett for comparison.

Shot these with my n95 camera phone.

http://web.me.com/nobelprize/Site_5/Movie.html

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd be curious to see how this looks but the mobileme site asks for a member name and password rather than showing your gallery. Why not just put a couple of pics here in the thread?

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 8
there fixed... I made a mini website..

Protect and Polish

If anyone wants to post them another way..feel free..

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Wait.. WHAT!? I didn't even know these amps existed.. They're beautiful...

LOVE the scratch resistant coating, any idea what the material used is? Or what the material on the bottom is made of?

I'm a chemical engineering student so I am obsessed with what things are made of, I'm afraid...
darthsmile.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

... Also I got a material (a red urethane based material) that works to protect the bottom of the unit and also makes it strongly grip the surface you place it on (Has to be a relatively smooth surface...ie not a sofa cushion- or a newspaper that would just tear off) the material is used for insulation on the airfoils but is "Sticky" without having adhesive... you can remove it and reset it - if it gets dirty you just wash it. ...

I have been using a material like this for about 7 years now. Mine is black w/o holes and I purchased it to place it on my car's dash/console so the phone/glasses would not slide when taking a turn. Very useful! Currently I have cut a piece which I lay between the iPod and the portable amp to prevent scratching the surfaces.

The finish of the TTVJ Millet Portable Amp is beautiful. How much would it cost to have it done? Thanks.

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm only getting a 1 second Quicktime snippet that doesn't really show any thing.

Do you have regular pics that you can post. If you don't know how to post pictures in a thread, shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back