Sennheiser contest!
Jul 6, 2001 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
The back page of the July issue of Stereophile has a contest from Sennheiser. Basically, it shows two notes on a scale, and you have to guess the names and frequencies of the two notes. If you get the answers right, you get a free Sennheiser t-shirt and you get your name entered in a drawing to win a new MKH 800 mic or a personalized HD600 headphone.

Unfortunately, it's been so many years since I actually read music, I've forgotten how to read all the notations LOL

If I had a scanner I'd scan the contest and post it here. Anyone have a fax machine and a scanner? I could fax it and you could scan it and post it. It'd be nice if we figured it out and all the HeadWizer/HeadFiers entered -- it would only be fitting if one of us won the contest.

Jul 6, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 18
Just go to http://www.sennheiserusa.com and the contest will pop-up in a new window!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2001 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 18
Oh, so they're planning to shell out a new headphone for dogs... or bat, maybe...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 7, 2001 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 18
I believe it's G10 (25.088 kHz) and G11 (50.175 kHz).

Edit:

A friend (who was the one who identified the notes) noted that the new mic Sennheiser's putting up as a prize has response to 50 kHz. Hmm ...

--Andre

Jul 7, 2001 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 18
Unfortunately for us would-be enthusiast recorders, $2K - $3K is about normal for a really nice microphone. The nice B&Ks, Senns, Schoeps, AKGs are all in that ballpark. Then you've got to get a good mic preamp, which is about the same price (eg. Millenia Media, Benchmark). Then you've got to get a good A/D, which can be much more (eg. Prism, Apogee, Weiss, dcs, Benchmark, etc.). And then you've got to get a recorder of some kind, which can be really expensive. Throw in some money for long runs of cables, mic stands, etc. and you're spending well north of $10K for a 2-channel setup! The most depressing part is that unless you've got the skills and taste, all of that equipment won't do much to give you a great recording.

--Andre

Jul 8, 2001 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 18
i've made a piano recording using 10k mics (+ nice preamps +digi sampler), i posted it on headwize a while back and most of you audiophiles still didn;t think it was anywhere near as good as most professional recordings.... Probably the engineer sucked, they seemed too close to the piano

Quote:

Anyone else want to take a shot at the answers? We have two conflicting sets here

who's right? it depends on the temperature of the room, and the method the piano was tuned (scientific scale, meantone temperment, well temperment, equal temperment, etc...)

Jul 10, 2001 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 18
Well, there's a chart on the internet showing the exact (scientific) hertz values of all the notes up to G5 or so. Apparently if you go up one octave the frequency doubles, if you go up another it doubles again, but then again I may be totally wrong. You could probably calculate everything on your own by assuming A = 440hz. Anyone willing to try it?

Oh, wait, here's the page:
here's the page. And here's the page explaining the math behind music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back