Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #16 of 9,327
I am going to pull the trigger on the HD700 and the dekstop amp of headroom, taking advance of 10% discount. 
Can you please let me know your opinion on this combo.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #17 of 9,327
Quote:
I am going to pull the trigger on the HD700 and the dekstop amp of headroom, taking advance of 10% discount. 
Can you please let me know your opinion on this combo.

No idea about the amp, but the phones are good. Flawed, but good.
Mids are lacking a bit. But a little EQ helps.
They can get pretty bright on some tracks, not all, but a hotspot is there.
Otherwise they are pretty fun. Nice bass, mostly good treble. Very comfy.

I would try before you buy though. No matter what anyone says.

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #18 of 9,327
I am in Taiwan (tainan), and I can't find a store to try this on. 
Would you recommend the HD700 for watching movie and electro music as well?

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #19 of 9,327
Quote:

I recommend that you try them. It's just a matter of time before they are available in your area.

Electronic sounds good to me. So do most genres, but some tunes show the treble peak. And sometimes the mids feel distant. 

I won't recommend you buy a $1,000 headphone you haven't heard. We might like the exact same music, but not the same headphones. What I do recommend is that you wait, and find a way to try them, or buy from a dealer with a good return policy. That's all I can recommend.

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #20 of 9,327
Quote:

Consider planar magnetic cans also, if you are looking for ultimate electronic music experience. I'm fairly sure Hifiman headphones are available in retailers in Taiwan, which you can demo.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #21 of 9,327
Depending on the exact genre within 'Electronic' I honestly would prefer a closed can to almost any open one. 

I recently sold my LCD 2 because it wasn't as good as my HD800 (for genres like Rock) and not as 'fun' for Electro (and the heavier EDM stuff in general) as a good closed can like the D7000. 

It all really depends on what genres you like.

Quote:
Consider planar magnetic cans also, if you are looking for ultimate electronic music experience. I'm fairly sure Hifiman headphones are available in retailers in Taiwan, which you can demo.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #22 of 9,327
Fwiw, I watched the Fellowship of the Rings Extended BD (PS3 to Denon receiver through HDMI) the other night and it was awesome. Extremely clear, great soundstage, good low end (but would still prefer a little more for my tastes). Definitely a step above my HD650 in the same configuration.

I've also been listening through my iBasso D4 from an iPad (as a USB DAC through the camera connection kit). The sibilance has decreased and is no problem unless its in the material. The low end is tighter and can kick if I adjust the eq a little. This makes for a VERY nice portable rig. When playing from the music app, I have the eq set on "acoustic." when playing from the equilizer app, I add +6db at 60Hz (Q=.5), +3db at 3KHz for more vocal presence and -3db at 8KHz to tame sibilance (but have brought it back to 0 on several albums in the last couple of days). I feel like they're starting to settle in and the high end is calming down a bit.

Still haven't listened through my LDIII but will soon. I did a short direct compare to my HD650 and it just reaffirmed that the 700 are better in just about every way for me. It's certainly not as laid back, so I see people still picking up the 650 for relaxed listening, but the 700 is a huge step up in resolution and treble. The low end may need a little added eq, but is much tighter and precise with noticeable bass extension. My iPhone/iPad sound very good but I get another step up with the D4. I'm hoping that the little dot will be another step up again (which, of course, will push me into the next amp upgrade).

Regardless of tests, charts, and graphs and measurements, the HD700 are simply excellent headphones that seem to work very well from devices that others (650, 800) won't.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #23 of 9,327
Bump.

C'mod dudes. We need more real impresions to counteract the other HD700 thread with all it's negativity.

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #26 of 9,327
I love the HD700, it's like an old Sennheiser in HD800 drag, gotta love those surprise bulges! :)

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #30 of 9,327
What part of appreciation don't you understand? Let the haters have their unappreciation thread if they must......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back