Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 18, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #6,346 of 6,418
Good news and bad news. The good news is that my M0 scans all 28K songs on my card (and never slows down a bit). The bad news is that, while I can load all just fine to view them, when I go to play any of them the device locks up. I rebooted it, and it wouldn't get past the splash screen (still locks up). I had to remove the card to get it to boot again. So, unless I listen to individual albums, or playlists that have less files referenced, this will not work too well.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #6,347 of 6,418
Good news and bad news. The good news is that my M0 scans all 28K songs on my card (and never slows down a bit). The bad news is that, while I can load all just fine to view them, when I go to play any of them the device locks up. I rebooted it, and it wouldn't get past the splash screen (still locks up). I had to remove the card to get it to boot again. So, unless I listen to individual albums, or playlists that have less files referenced, this will not work too well.
I was wondering how it would do with so many songs. I only have about 8000. It’s kind of a pain to navigate that many albums. The Eddict app makes it marginally better. Playlists were pretty easy to import though.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #6,348 of 6,418
I was wondering how it would do with so many songs. I only have about 8000. It’s kind of a pain to navigate that many albums. The Eddict app makes it marginally better. Playlists were pretty easy to import though.
With OSes like on this one (FiiO started it for me), I find folder browsing much easier. In which case I make folders labeled HQ (Redbook), HiRes (higher than Redbook), and (just) Music for lower than Redbook.

Then I will add folders labled something like A-D, E-H, etc.... Much less scrolling to do, and easier to find what you are looking for IMHO.

I have yet to try the Eddict app, but once I get more familiar with this lil' fella' I will probably give it a shot.

Also something else I noticed. The battery life is absolutely horrid using LDAC HQ. It lasted me MAYBE 3 hours from full charge. But yet, I get the advertised (or close to it) 8-9 hours from the 3.5mm connector. This must be where the older chipset shows its inability to be efficient?!

Sep 18, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #6,349 of 6,418
Sorry, I didn't know there was more than one o-ring on the M0.

Nope, nothing to do with the volume. I was talking about the one on the memory card door.

Sep 18, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #6,350 of 6,418
With OSes like on this one (FiiO started it for me), I find folder browsing much easier. In which case I make folders labeled HQ (Redbook), HiRes (higher than Redbook), and (just) Music for lower than Redbook.

Then I will add folders labled something like A-D, E-H, etc.... Much less scrolling to do, and easier to find what you are looking for IMHO.

I have yet to try the Eddict app, but once I get more familiar with this lil' fella' I will probably give it a shot.

Also something else I noticed. The battery life is absolutely horrid using LDAC HQ. It lasted me MAYBE 3 hours from full charge. But yet, I get the advertised (or close to it) 8-9 hours from the 3.5mm connector. This must be where the older chipset shows its inability to be efficient?!
Well, it sounds like you've designed your music library logically from the start. :gs1000smile:

My library isn't nearly that organized. Migrating from iTunes to Roon and getting songs from different online sources, It would take a considerable effort to get to your level. I agree that the folder browser is much easier and you don't need to refresh the database when you add new songs.

Sep 18, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #6,351 of 6,418
Well, it sounds like you've designed your music library logically from the start. :gs1000smile:

My library isn't nearly that organized. Migrating from iTunes to Roon and getting songs from different online sources, It would take a considerable effort to get to your level. I agree that the folder browser is much easier and you don't need to refresh the database when you add new songs.
I pretty much had to because there was no search on the FiiO devices. And there was no touch screen. It was a wheel. It made my life a living hell for a time..... So, yes it DID take some considerable work in the beginning but now, it makes adding files a sinche. :)

If you only have roughly 6K songs, now might be the time to do it (if you like the layout), because as you get more, it gets much harder.. I wish that the M0 had a feature like Neutron app has. When folder browsing, no matter what folder you are in, there is a "play all" at the top, so you can choose to play just one song, or the whole album, the whole artist discography, all the artists in A-D, everything that is HQ, or just all songs (for instance). Just my thoughts though and YMMV.

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #6,352 of 6,418
It's not? I purchased a new battery for my Nintendo Switch through Amazon. Hmmm

That begs the question then, where would you recommend purchasing one in the US?

Ah, thanks! I will update directly to 3.6 then. :)

To make it more clear, you can not purchase replacement battery for M0 from our Amazon Store. I don't think your Switch battery was from official Nintendo Store on Amazon.
If anybody else is listing it, I don't know. There are some sellers on Aliexpress.

If you purchased your M0 from our official US dealers (So Musicteck or Audio46), it is possible to contact them in regards to getting replacement battery.

For 28k files, that's on limits of what M0 can do. So Open all function at that stage might not work properly.
Alternative reason is that there might be some corrupted file causing crash, but with this amount of songs, it would be hard to find it.

Sorry, I didn't know there was more than one o-ring on the M0.

Nope, nothing to do with the volume. I was talking about the one on the memory card door.

There is only one O-ring on M0, at the card cover.
If you need replacement, I would recommend hardware store.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 18, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #6,353 of 6,418
To make it more clear, you can not purchase replacement battery for M0 from our Amazon Store. I don't think your Switch battery was from official Nintendo Store on Amazon.
If anybody else is listing it, I don't know. There are some sellers on Aliexpress.

If you purchased your M0 from our official US dealers (So Musicteck or Audio46), it is possible to contact them in regards to getting replacement battery.
Ah, thank you for clarifying that. It makes sense.

I did not. The M0 was not available (at this point) from anyone I could find in the US. I ordered it from your store on AE. Would you suggest I contact one of those two stores you suggested anyhow?

For 28k files, that's on limits of what M0 can do. So Open all function at that stage might not work properly.
Alternative reason is that there might be some corrupted file causing crash, but with this amount of songs, it would be hard to find it.
I suspect it is just because of the sheer size of the database (along with many varying formats; .mp3, .ogg, .alac, .flac, .dff, .dsf).

Though I don't think it is a corrupted file unless the player scans all of the files (again) when I click on one song (which is when it locks up). And this song I am clicking on works fine on other DAPs. To be sure, I tried this several more times clicking on other songs to start, with the same result.

To be clear though, I was not asking for you to fix it (though it would be nice) because I realize there are limitations with this DAP that probably can't be overcome. But I certainly thank you for answering anyhow! :) On the other hand it DOES defeat the purpose of having the ability to use a 2TB card with this DAP if it can't read that many songs. You would have to have ALL 24/192 (uncompressed .wav or similar) or higher in order to fill a 2TB card with less than 20K+ songs.

My library is made up of 21K Redbook or higher, and 7K of .mp3 (or similar sized compressed files).

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #6,354 of 6,418
Ah, thank you for clarifying that. It makes sense.

I did not. The M0 was not available (at this point) from anyone I could find in the US. I ordered it from your store on AE. Would you suggest I contact one of those two stores you suggested anyhow?

I suspect it is just because of the sheer size of the database (along with many varying formats; .mp3, .ogg, .alac, .flac, .dff, .dsf).

Though I don't think it is a corrupted file unless the player scans all of the files (again) when I click on one song (which is when it locks up). And this song I am clicking on works fine on other DAPs. To be sure, I tried this several more times clicking on other songs to start, with the same result.

To be clear though, I was not asking for you to fix it (though it would be nice) because I realize there are limitations with this DAP that probably can't be overcome. But I certainly thank you for answering anyhow! :) On the other hand it DOES defeat the purpose of having the ability to use a 2TB card with this DAP if it can't read that many songs. You would have to have ALL 24/192 (uncompressed .wav or similar) or higher in order to fill a 2TB card with less than 20K+ songs.

My library is made up of 21K Redbook or higher, and 7K of .mp3 (or similar sized compressed files).

If you didn't purchase your M0 from our official US dealers, they will not provide you with aftersale support or spare parts in this case.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 19, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #6,355 of 6,418
If you didn't purchase your M0 from our official US dealers, they will not provide you with aftersale support or spare parts in this case.
Well, just in case you forgot the original question. I wasn't looking for aftersale support, nor spare parts per se'. I was looking to source an official replacement battery. Do you have any suggestions for me for the US?

I hate buying third party batteries for things because half the time they do not have the capacity advertised, and also they don't last very long (overall lifespan). It really is like a "crap shoot". :)

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #6,356 of 6,418
There is only one O-ring on M0, at the card cover.
If you need replacement, I would recommend hardware store.
Purchasing a replacement isn't the issue, I'm asking what size do I need to get. I don't have the original one to check as it fell out while I was change the memory card and didn't notice until it was too late.

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #6,357 of 6,418
Purchasing a replacement isn't the issue, I'm asking what size do I need to get. I don't have the original one to check as it fell out while I was change the memory card and didn't notice until it was too late.
You probably should have led with that.... :)

I didn't know there was an o-ring for the card reader?!

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #6,358 of 6,418
You probably should have led with that.... :)

I didn't know there was an o-ring for the card reader?!
If you read my first comment about the o-ring, I was asking about the size, unless your thought I wanted to replace it with something else.

The o-ring is mounted in the door and is what holds the door shut.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #6,359 of 6,418
Well, just in case you forgot the original question. I wasn't looking for aftersale support, nor spare parts per se'. I was looking to source an official replacement battery. Do you have any suggestions for me for the US?

I hate buying third party batteries for things because half the time they do not have the capacity advertised, and also they don't last very long (overall lifespan). It really is like a "crap shoot". :)

Thanks!

In your case, right now there is no option.

We are trying to setup new Chinese dealer who would provide the parts, will announce when available.

Oh, for size it's marked as 9 x 0.8 o-ring by our suppliers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back