Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player - Releasing in April 2024
May 4, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #125 of 181
Apologies if this has already been addressed but I couldn't find anything about the M5U's noise floor. Is there audible hissing with sensitive iems or does it have a black background?

From my ie 600 absolutely 0 hiss and with my H5 also no noise. Even when I had m8 before that also had 0 hiss. Shanlings daps are not making hiss from what I learned

May 4, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #126 of 181
From my ie 600 absolutely 0 hiss and with my H5 also no noise. Even when I had m8 before that also had 0 hiss. Shanlings daps are not making hiss from what I learned
Must be some sort of impedance matching tech

May 5, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #129 of 181
Must be some sort of impedance matching tech

Nah, just good focus on the design and making sure we don't push power too high.

Does anyone have a tip on how I can access my music library on a Synology NAS via DLNA? Of course I have DLNA and WiFi activated on the M5 Ultra, but then nothing happens. The media server is activated on the NAS.

You can use some app on your phone or computer as DLNA controller, with M5 Ultra acting as receiver.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 6, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #130 of 181
Hi,

could someone compare the M5U to the H5 (playing local files on SD card)? I'm hesitating between these two models

They have similar family tuning, H5 would be the more fun and more V shaped yet very detailed and super fun. In H5 also the bass is more prominent and very physical and treble has more bite. M5u is the more balanced and in line for a more right tuning approach with some warmth and more delicate treble, bass also very fun just not as much like with H5. Global tuning impression would be h5 more fun and V shaped, m5u more balanced and pleasantly warm and fun. Both are very musical and fun, I used to say H5 is more mystical and magical. M5U a more mature and more in line to be a flagship like tuning.

May 6, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #131 of 181
They have similar family tuning, H5 would be the more fun and more V shaped yet very detailed and super fun. In H5 also the bass is more prominent and very physical and treble has more bite. M5u is the more balanced and in line for a more right tuning approach with some warmth and more delicate treble, bass also very fun just not as much like with H5. Global tuning impression would be h5 more fun and V shaped, m5u more balanced and pleasantly warm and fun. Both are very musical and fun, I used to say H5 is more mystical and magical. M5U a more mature and more in line to be a flagship like tuning.
Thanks a lot for all your impressions:gs1000smile:You gave me the envy of buying both of them :grin:

May 7, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #132 of 181
On some previous pages I asked about possible problems with sensitive IEMs because of the high output impedance on the M5U.
Even after receiving a response that this high impedance could affect the sound of some sensitive IEMs, I thought that this DAP would not be for me, as my use will be exclusively with IEMs.

But, my desire to buy this DAP hasn't died yet... And here I am again!!
The M5U is calling me... and I just haven't bought it yet because of this doubt... everything else has already convinced me that I have to buy this DAP... but, could anyone who already has this DAP in use and uses it exclusively with IEMs please share if Did you feel a difference in the sound signature or characteristics of the IEMs?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

May 7, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #133 of 181
On some previous pages I asked about possible problems with sensitive IEMs because of the high output impedance on the M5U.
Even after receiving a response that this high impedance could affect the sound of some sensitive IEMs, I thought that this DAP would not be for me, as my use will be exclusively with IEMs.

The M5U is calling me... and I just haven't bought it yet because of this doubt... everything else has already convinced me that I have to buy this DAP... but, could anyone who already has this DAP in use and uses it exclusively with IEMs please share if Did you feel a difference in the sound signature or characteristics of the IEMs?
Thanks!

My iem is 18omh and comparing m5u with sony which has low impedance output the sound curve seems on par, I didn’t find m5u to be a problem. What I do find is m5u has huge power output its very strong amp. I use mine in medium gain and around 35/100 volume feels like a sweet spot there to me

May 8, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #134 of 181

Thanks!
I also have the M5U and the pairing with the IE 600 is fantastic. I like it much better than the Sony WM 1 AM 2. When I didn't have the M5U yet, I thought about selling the IE 600 because it didn't sound good to me compared to the Sony. Good thing I didn't. Looking at your list of IEMs I think it will work well with most of them. It will definitely work well with your Mest MK II. With the Thieaudio Oracle, Hype 2 Of course, I didn't have that, but I had the Monarch MKII. So the only one that could cause problems is the Andromeda 2020. So I can only say a clear purchase recommendation for the M5U. You will be surprised at how awesome this little beast sounds and how much power it has. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :beerchug:

May 8, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #135 of 181
My iem is 18omh and comparing m5u with sony which has low impedance output the sound curve seems on par, I didn’t find m5u to be a problem. What I do find is m5u has huge power output its very strong amp. I use mine in medium gain and around 35/100 volume feels like a sweet spot there to me
I also have the M5U and the pairing with the IE 600 is fantastic. I like it much better than the Sony WM 1 AM 2. When I didn't have the M5U yet, I thought about selling the IE 600 because it didn't sound good to me compared to the Sony. Good thing I didn't. Looking at your list of IEMs I think it will work well with most of them. It will definitely work well with your Mest MK II. With the Thieaudio Oracle, Hype 2 Of course, I didn't have that, but I had the Monarch MKII. So the only one that could cause problems is the Andromeda 2020. So I can only say a clear purchase recommendation for the M5U. You will be surprised at how awesome this little beast sounds and how much power it has. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :beerchug:
Thank you very much, friends! Unfortunately, I don't have the possibility to test most of the products I buy, especially IEMs and DAPs.
I always have to trust reports like this or reviews from some reviewers who I trust more and who have preferences similar to mine. It has worked most of the time.

I already have the DX300, but I want another slightly smaller DAP and the M5U is at the top of my list because it has a special feature that makes me want to have it in my collection.
The fact that it's not Android and has a cleaner system makes me believe in the longevity and fluidity of the product.
But since my personal library isn't very large yet, having the TIDAL streaming option is important because I use streaming to discover new albums and new artists and then buy their physical media.

That being said, could you tell me what the TIDAL integration is like on the M5U? Shanling has already responded that we will not need to log in every time we use it. TIDAL will always be logged in.
I find it annoying having to read the QRcode every time I want to use the TIDAL integrated into my Hiby R3 pro Saber 2022, for example.

The store where I'm going to buy the M5U will have it in stock in 5 days.
So I will have another 5 days to collect all the information I can about the M5U.
In fact, I prefer the M5U. I didn't want another Android DAP.
The high output impedance was a concern, but now I also ask about TIDAL integration.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back