Should source types really be separate?
May 27, 2004 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
It seems to me that there are really three camps not two. There are those who would only consider computers for a source. There are also those who would only consider stand alone players as a source. There are, however, also those who have no preference, or have not yet decided.

On one hand, separating the two minimizes flame wars and things of that nature. On the other hand, it makes comparisons between the two sides very difficult. For someone who is on the fence, gathering good information becomes much harder and the chance of switching sides becomes smaller. By making the two separate we create a mental separation in peoples mind that the things are really different when they really aren't so different in reality. They play the same media (except SACD and vinyl), and ultimately fill the same need. Can't we all just get along?
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 29
Speaking of playing the same formats, how easy is it to playback DVD-A on a computer with a DVD drive? I just got a couple because i'm curious how good they'll sound... but I don't know how to playback DVD Audio. Curses.
frown.gif

May 27, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Speaking of playing the same formats, how easy is it to playback DVD-A on a computer with a DVD drive? I just got a couple because i'm curious how good they'll sound... but I don't know how to playback DVD Audio. Curses.
frown.gif

You are currently out of luck. The one current downfall of the 1212m is that it cannot monitor/work with a 24/96 WDM signal. Fortunately this is a driver level issue and hopefully, creative/e-mu will fix it soon. Apparently they were focused on giving the best possible ASIO support so they spent their time on that rather than including WDM support above 48khz. If someone wants to create a hacked ASIO plugin for WinDVD or PowerDVD then maybe well be in business. Other wise we are waiting on Creative/E-MU to update the driver. Once/if that's done, we can use the DVD-A support of WinDVD with the DVD-A plug-in to play DVD-A up to 24/96. Above that, we're out of luck. If you don't want to pay for the plug-in (once the driver is updated) you can find certain DVD-A's that have a 24/96 stereo track that is not compressed in MLP. I hope all that makes sense...
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 29
I think it absolutely needed this separation. The sheer number of pc related source questions drowning out the source forum is one thing, but the fact that there are a huge number of people exclusively interested in one or the other only adds to this. In near every way they're different... setup, required knowledge, purpose. But you can find several ramblings on this topic in the Member's Forum; it's been debated for quite some time.

May 27, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
You are currently out of luck. The one current downfall of the 1212m is that it cannot monitor/work with a 24/96 WDM signal. Fortunately this is a driver level issue and hopefully, creative/e-mu will fix it soon. Apparently they were focused on giving the best possible ASIO support so they spent their time on that rather than including WDM support above 48khz. If someone wants to create a hacked ASIO plugin for WinDVD or PowerDVD then maybe well be in business. Other wise we are waiting on Creative/E-MU to update the driver. Once/if that's done, we can use the DVD-A support of WinDVD with the DVD-A plug-in to play DVD-A up to 24/96. Above that, we're out of luck. If you don't want to pay for the plug-in (once the driver is updated) you can find certain DVD-A's that have a 24/96 stereo track that is not compressed in MLP. I hope all that makes sense...
biggrin.gif

eek.gif
I forgot about the WDM issue...

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

What do I do with these DVD-A's? I got like 5.... *sigh* Do you think Chesky Records will refund me for them?

EDIT: Or perhaps I could simply ask to trade for the CD versions. That way I lose some money, so they'll be out shipping for the trade but still in the black because the DVD-A's are more expensive. Hmmm. I should get a number from their site and ask.

May 27, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 29
As far as the forums issue, I wholeheartedly think they should have a PC Source and Standalone Source forum. It'd make things much more acessible for everyone, IMHO. If somebody is "on the fence" they can make the special effort to compare both units.. it's not like it's any different with any other component.. trying to figure out cans and an amp I spent dozens of hours just reading. I'm betting sources would be the same way, regardless of how organized they are. It might eve be better if you split them up, because then you'd always know where to turn for specific topics instead of having them all jumbled together.

May 27, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 29
This change has been planned for quite awhile. We had some extensive debates on this. We came to the conclusion that separate fora would make things easiest for the greatest number of people. If something transcends the categories, then feel free to post it in one or both of the threads as you feel it is appropriate. As Distroyed said, it was getting very difficult to find information on traditional sources with the rise in popularity and debate on the computer based platforms. Separate but equal may not be good for people, but I think it is appropriate for the source fora.

May 27, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr
This change has been planned for quite awhile. We had some extensive debates on this. We came to the conclusion that separate fora would make things easiest for the greatest number of people.

It couldn't have been all that tough, with all the polls showing the vast majority of people wanted it...
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
It couldn't have been all that tough, with all the polls showing the vast majority of people wanted it...
biggrin.gif

Maybe they just seem extensive in retrospect...perhaps "tiresome" would have been a better choice of words
wink.gif

May 27, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

This change has been planned for quite awhile. We had some extensive debates on this. We came to the conclusion that separate fora would make things easiest for the greatest number of people. If something transcends the categories, then feel free to post it in one or both of the threads as you feel it is appropriate. As Distroyed said, it was getting very difficult to find information on traditional sources with the rise in popularity and debate on the computer based platforms. Separate but equal may not be good for people, but I think it is appropriate for the source fora.

...Separate but equal... what an interesting way to put it... reminds me of a growth stage this country went through, but if that's the case we're going backwards...
biggrin.gif

Anyway, if that's how everyone feels I suppose it is appropriate. I still disagree that they are so different though. Essentially either one is trying to fill the same need/want... oh well, that's just my opinion.

-EDIT-

Oddly enough, it's also going the opposite direction of the general market since so many are starting to use a computer to replace stand alone components and many stand alone manufacturers are starting to use computers/computer technology in their products. I believe the meridian is the common example here.

May 27, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
eek.gif
I forgot about the WDM issue...

Get an RME
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 29
Such is life. The vocal majority wanted separate fora, including the mods, and that is what we now have. Not everybody is happy all of the time. I don't disagree that they are always different, or that they are growing close together, but for people who are not on the avant garde either by choice or circumstance, separate fora are more appropriate. As I said before, no one is saying you cannot post about hybrids, or do so in either forum, but for the sake of ease of use, this is how we have decided to organize the fora.

May 27, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 29
I like this, because my primary rig is PC-based and I have no current interest in separate digital rigs at all (I do have a turntable setup, but those are rarely discussed). Also, there's a concentrated base of people here to answer questions for anyone who's interested in getting into PC-based audio (and ditto for the standalone sources forum). It should make it easier for newcomers to both high end standalone sources and high end PC rigs.

May 28, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Such is life. The vocal majority wanted separate fora, including the mods, and that is what we now have. Not everybody is happy all of the time. I don't disagree that they are always different, or that they are growing close together, but for people who are not on the avant garde either by choice or circumstance, separate fora are more appropriate. As I said before, no one is saying you cannot post about hybrids, or do so in either forum, but for the sake of ease of use, this is how we have decided to organize the fora.

I'm sorry, I'm not faulting you or the other mods for making the decision you did. It makes sense to go with the greater majority. I was just stating that I happen to disagree...
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 29
I think this is a great idea, personally. We can finally have different discussions in different places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back