Technics EAH-AZ80 True Wireless Earbuds
Aug 9, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #16 of 282
Hey all!

So I got the new Sony's and I like them a lot and unlike others, I like the size a lot, for sound I still like my Sennheiser MTW better. I'm wondering if any one has any thoughts about Technics EAH-AZ80 vs. the MTW. Really would appreciate any insights. And I know I just might need to try them, but thought I would ask if people have insights.

Thanks

Beth

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #17 of 282
Aug 9, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 282
I have a big problem. When I try a custom Sound Enhancement setting, as wizzman121 shows, the volume drops precipitously when connected to my Sony WM1A. The Sony's volume controls have no effect other than a beep in my left earpiece. When I change from custom to the default setting in the Technics app, the volume jump is painfully huge. (The equalizer settings that wizzman121 shows are good; without them the bass is just far too much, and even with that huge 10db cut, the bass is still probably too emphasized.)

If I turn on "Enhanced Mode" on the Sony's Bluetooth options, I can control the volume from the earpiece, but not from the Sony, and the change in volume when using the Sound Enhancement custom setting doesn't happen.

My Sony XM4 and Audio-Technica ATH-DSR5BT have no problems raising or lowering the volume from the earpiece and the player - both work at the same time. The XM5 was the same. No need for "Enhanced Mode" with those. I have no problems when I play music directly from my iPhone to the Technics, except the volume changes on the earpiece change my iPhone ringer volume, but AAC isn't adequate for me.

And the material used for the stock tips bothers me.

Two FYI points: (1) You have to go to the default setting from custom to get the prompt to save your custom settings, and (2) to get the Technics to pair with a second source after your phone, there's an almost hidden explanation that is not in the settings themselves; you have to press both earpieces and hold until you hear the voice confirmation.

These are not going to work for me. Packed up and getting sent back tomorrow. [sigh]

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #19 of 282
Like you I tried the new XM5s and while I liked the sound improvements over the XM4s I was really underwhelmed with the fit and finish. I used the XM4s for quite awhile and loved them but knew right away the tiny, generic and un-ergonomic shape of the XM5s was not going to work for me.

I had purchased a set of the Technics AZ60s a year ago and liked them but they have an uncomfortable edge near the nozzle that made them less comfortable and I preferred the sound of the XM4s. Well I recently updated the firmware on the AZ60s and was actually impressed with the sound! This led me to reading up on the newer AZ80s which have a totally redesigned shell. I pulled the trigger and they arrived today. Here are a few quick observations:

• The fit and comfort is PHENOMENAL- these are the most ergonomic TWS ear buds I have tried. They went for more of an IEM shape than most other consumer-grade ear buds.
  • The standard tuning is definitely a step up from the AZ60s (AZ60s were so over-bloated with bass).
  • The mid-bass is a tad more prominent than the sub-bass but man these can really rumble.
  • The buds and case but have a far superior fit and finish than the XM5s
  • I love the IEM-like shape as they are so easy to grab with your fingers and position into your ears
  • The stock tuning is still too bass heavy and the highs are a tad muted- this is very fixable with the EQ in the app though
  • LDAC pairing and quality is reliable and sounds great out of my Pixel 6
  • The app is very busy but I love all the settings and customization options- this app is for Android lovers not iOS lol
  • ANC is not super important to me (other than my rare train rides into my office) but initial testing around the house it seems VERY good- I will test this more in noisier settings

Here are the EQ settings I am using for now. While the stock bass setting isn't as bloated at the AZ60 it is just way too much for as discerning listeners. Even with the bass dropped all the way down it is still elevated but combined with a little increase in the upper mids and highs this really balances and opens up the sound. It is impressively dynamic for a consumer TWS ear bud. I still need to get more acquainted with these but I am just blown away at all the boxes these check for comfort, style, fit & finish and most importantly sound (even from a audiophile perspective). I hope this is a successful product for Technics so they continue to develop this product category.

Screenshot_20230809-000716.png

PXL_20230809_041324858.jpg
Look like bigger than xm4

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 282
Look like bigger than xm4
They might be a tad thicker but they are notably smaller than XM4s and far more ergonomic. I am absolutely loving how the AZ80s fit- as I mentioned before, very IEM-like shape and fit.
Decent comparison with Sony WF-1000XM5

I watched this as well. It is a great overview. I don't think you can go wrong with either so long as the fit works for you.

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #22 of 282
PXL_20230811_112453456.jpg
PXL_20230811_112536897.jpg
PXL_20230811_112710842.jpg

Here are some pics of the AZ80s in a silicone case I ordered from Amazon. I think the white pairs nicely with the silver model especially.

Aug 14, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #23 of 282
Just received my pair.
Exceptional build quality, brushed metal, matte plastic, feels weighty and very high end in the hands.
Updated FW, enabled LDAC audio quality, disabled multi connect, all is good, superb reception even when moving away from the phone to the different room, quick connection, no drop outs or distortions.
Default touch control assignments are on a weird side, but fortunately easily remappable via app.
Tuning is on a safe warm side without overwhelming bass or painful treble, still plentifully detailed with with Azla Crystal tips. Reminds of HD650 just without the midrange hump.
Not sure why anyone would prefer WF1000XM5 over this, except may be brand loyalty.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #24 of 282
Found perfect eartips for those, AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Standard (not TWS), extremely comfortable, Azla Crystal was feeling odd after a while, even the same size felt like too large for the ear. This one fit perfect without any discomfort, great isolation with clean and natural sound preserving original signature.
20230815_172948_1.jpg

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #25 of 282
Hey all!

I've been watching and reading reviews of these earbuds. I have the Sony wf-1000xm5 and the Sennheiser TMW 3. I like the sound on the TMW 3 better but the size of the Sony's. Does anyone have thoughts on how the Technics EAH-AZ80 compares to either one of theses?

Thanks

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #26 of 282
I have the AZ60 and love the sound quality (better than Sennheiser TWS Momentum 2 except for mids). However , they lack a bit or sparkle in the highs. I am deciding between the AZ80 and the Sony wf-1000xm5. I have read the the AZ80 has better treble extension but much worse sub bass than the Sony wf1000xm5. Anyone has compared the AZ80 vs the wf1000xm5?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #27 of 282
I have the AZ60 and love the sound quality (better than Sennheiser TWS Momentum 2 except for mids). However , they lack a bit or sparkle in the highs. I am deciding between the AZ80 and the Sony wf-1000xm5. I have read the the AZ80 has better treble extension but much worse sub bass than the Sony wf1000xm5. Anyone has compared the AZ80 vs the wf1000xm5?
I’m excited to try the AZ80. But you might try the Momentum 3s. They are much better than the Momentum 2s. They are on Amazon right now for 150 bucks. I think they sound better than the new Sonys

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #28 of 282
I’m excited to try the AZ80. But you might try the Momentum 3s. They are much better than the Momentum 2s. They are on Amazon right now for 150 bucks. I think they sound better than the new Sonys
How many of these three, Sony, M3, AZ80 you have actually tried?
I think Sony and AZ80 makes much more sense if your phone supports LDAC, otherwise it's just a waste.

Aug 17, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #29 of 282
The momentum 3 has excess midbass and even less treble extension and worse vocals as compared with the momentum 2. See RTINGS comparison "The Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 are decent for neutral sound. They have a more balanced sound than their predecessor, but they still skew bass-heavy due to a dip in their treble range. This dip hurts the comprehensibility of vocals and lead instruments"
In fact, the AZ60 has more detail in highs (maybe LDAC codec) tested with Qobuz and Tidal HiFi Plus. I Will probably buy the AZ80 as an upgrade to the AZ60, I have read that the Sony WF4 ony lacks treble extension and detail as compared with Technics..

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #30 of 282
The momentum 3 has excess midbass and even less treble extension and worse vocals as compared with the momentum 2. See RTINGS comparison "The Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 are decent for neutral sound. They have a more balanced sound than their predecessor, but they still skew bass-heavy due to a dip in their treble range. This dip hurts the comprehensibility of vocals and lead instruments"
In fact, the AZ60 has more detail in highs (maybe LDAC codec) tested with Qobuz and Tidal HiFi Plus. I Will probably buy the AZ80 as an upgrade to the AZ60, I have read that the Sony WF4 ony lacks treble extension and detail as compared with Technics..
Out of the box the MTW3 may well be deemed bass heavy and treble light, but once you've set up sound personalisation the whole dynamic of this TWS changes.

I have not tried the AZ80's, but I can say (having owned the AZ60) that the MTW3 is way better since the latest OS update. I did really like the AZ60, but had issues with sealing on the left side when walking outside.

That said, I'm not saying don't get the AZ80's, just maybe give the MTW3 a road test (if you can). Their sound with customisation is outstanding, plus they're excellent value right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back