The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Oct 18, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #2,776 of 2,849
Indeed. I've used this forum so much less since the interface change (if you were around then as i can't remember the year). It's search feature to find old threads is awful compared to what it used to be. I am sure there are K550 mod threads somewhere, but this forum used to be far easier to navigate. I may end up searching on google for the headfi threads!
In fact the best way to find an article on Head-fi is by searching on Google 😂😂😂

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #2,777 of 2,849
…and then on a whim I tried some zmf suede angled ovals I bought for my t60rps and didn’t really like.
The suede tones the treble nicely, and although not bass-head by any means, there’s more presence ‘down there’, right into the subs.
Possibly a bit of mid bass hump, but good enough to to listen further.

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #2,778 of 2,849
…scratch that. Just happened to pick a bass heavy track to start with.
A bit of Portishead later, and my ears are bleeding.
However, a pair of aliexpress Sony clones that I’m trying now seem more promising.
Or perhaps I’m fooling myself again…

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #2,779 of 2,849
Tim and Rogan all using K553 PRO

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #2,780 of 2,849
I seem to have an issue with the right driver of my MKI K550s. I can't describe it that well, but it almost sounds like there is some distortion / squeaking from the driver when it is at frequencies between 1000 and 2000hz. Also, literally while doing these tests, it seems that some frequencies seem noticeably quieter on the right side.

Only done breif tests, so the volume difference could just be in my head, but there is certainly some buzzing/rattling problem at the frequencies mentioned. I will note that these are what I did the Mini XLR mod on, but it sounds more like a driver fault than the wires on the back of them.

Let me know what this may be.

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #2,781 of 2,849
This problem seems to keep coming and going. Can anyone tell me if they have had experience replacing drivers on the K550s? These look interesting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363664728125?hash=item54ac1b603d:g:99AAAOSwVcFhwqsA

Nice that they show a graph showing the frequency response. May seem off putting that they are from china, but the k550s are made there too!

I would much rather repair these than have to get used to the comfort of new headphones, plus it is much cheaper. What I'm unsure about is how you actually remove the drivers. They are easy enough to re-solder wires to, but I haven't yet worked out a way to remove them. If I fail, I can probably put up with the old ones going back in, but i hope i can remove them without breaking anything.

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #2,782 of 2,849
When I blew my drivers (wiring fault on a ’wire’ amp which also killed the amp - shame), I bought a set of used headphones off eBay and stripped for parts - mine are a ‘bit’ modded.
Worked well for me - I’m a bit worried that the driver you linked is also listed as a perfect replacement for a half-dozen other ‘phones.
There‘s a set on at the moment, although they’ve got a couple of days to go.

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #2,783 of 2,849
Do headphones drivers deteriorate over time, even when the headphones are barely used?
I picked the K550MKIIs after 1 or 2 years of not listening to them and the sound is just AWFUL, tinny, without any body. Yes, they always had a leaner bass than every other pair of headphones I had and own, but the bass still was more full-bodied than BeoPlays H6s. Well not any more.
The issue other people had, not getting a proper fit I never had, and it definitely isn't the issue. No matter how and where I place the ear pads on my ears, the sound lacks body. It may well be that the time it takes getting used to a different sound character, after using a different pair for a certain amount of time is getting longer the older I get? My ears definitely perceive sound different than a couple of years ago. More sensitive to high mids and low treble, this may correlate with my dislike of K550MKIIs sound at the moment.
Yesteryear I perceived their sound more or less as a closed version of the HD650s, today this closed-back pair sounds more open, but not in a good way.
It isolates outside noises very well, but my ears are now hijacked in some empty void where every musical body and warmth is terminated LOL

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #2,784 of 2,849
Well luckily EQ does the trick. Never felt the need to EQ them until now. With EQ they do sound nice.
Unfortunately I can only use them now in a PC setting, no longer directly connected to CD player or iPhone

1644629210409.png

Feb 11, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #2,785 of 2,849
Do headphones drivers deteriorate over time, even when the headphones are barely used?
I picked the K550MKIIs after 1 or 2 years of not listening to them and the sound is just AWFUL, tinny, without any body. Yes, they always had a leaner bass than every other pair of headphones I had and own, but the bass still was more full-bodied than BeoPlays H6s. Well not any more.
The issue other people had, not getting a proper fit I never had, and it definitely isn't the issue. No matter how and where I place the ear pads on my ears, the sound lacks body. It may well be that the time it takes getting used to a different sound character, after using a different pair for a certain amount of time is getting longer the older I get? My ears definitely perceive sound different than a couple of years ago. More sensitive to high mids and low treble, this may correlate with my dislike of K550MKIIs sound at the moment.
Yesteryear I perceived their sound more or less as a closed version of the HD650s, today this closed-back pair sounds more open, but not in a good way.
It isolates outside noises very well, but my ears are now hijacked in some empty void where every musical body and warmth is terminated LOL
Well stored (away from humidity) headphone's drivers should last around 8-10 years.
Pads have a much shorter life though.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #2,786 of 2,849
Well stored (away from humidity) headphone's drivers should last around 8-10 years.
Pads have a much shorter life though.
Well, I've certainly noticed that pads deteriorate even when not being used. The pu leather or whatever it is becoming brittle and getting cracks. Especially on the inside of the ear pads. If this is the case for Mink, then this certainly reduces bass somewhat.

I think it is far less likely to be to do with the drivers.

I still have the original K550s that I've had since 2013 and they infact do have just slightly more bass than my MKIIIs. This is despite the drivers clicking when pressure gets applied to the ear cup as if they are worn. The right side also buzzes at some frequencies slightly, but overall, they still sound great. If i put a pair of earpads on them made out of velor like my ATH-AD700s, they sound like tweeters on my ears. I would expect the change of sound is due to the condition of the ear pads.

Feb 12, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #2,787 of 2,849
You know what, I didn't notice it last night, but today I got a good look at them and both ear pads were ripped inside. What? The green foam was clearly visible.
Luckily I got a pair of replacement pads, and now they sound the way I knew them.

I do find it worrying though, that even without using them the ear pads deteriorate over time. So what does that mean for all the spare ear pads you buy, do they keep safe when keeping stored in the plastic bag they came in?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #2,788 of 2,849
Well, I've certainly noticed that pads deteriorate even when not being used. The pu leather or whatever it is becoming brittle and getting cracks. Especially on the inside of the ear pads. If this is the case for Mink, then this certainly reduces bass somewhat.

I think it is far less likely to be to do with the drivers.

I still have the original K550s that I've had since 2013 and they infact do have just slightly more bass than my MKIIIs. This is despite the drivers clicking when pressure gets applied to the ear cup as if they are worn. The right side also buzzes at some frequencies slightly, but overall, they still sound great. If i put a pair of earpads on them made out of velor like my ATH-AD700s, they sound like tweeters on my ears. I would expect the change of sound is due to the condition of the ear pads.
I did replace the earpads at some point and the phones are performing 100% still after more than 10 years of nearly daily usage.

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #2,789 of 2,849
You know what, I didn't notice it last night, but today I got a good look at them and both ear pads were ripped inside. What? The green foam was clearly visible.
Luckily I got a pair of replacement pads, and now they sound the way I knew them.

I do find it worrying though, that even without using them the ear pads deteriorate over time. So what does that mean for all the spare ear pads you buy, do they keep safe when keeping stored in the plastic bag they came in?
correct, away from humidity and sweat.

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #2,790 of 2,849
correct, away from humidity and sweat.
Exactly, it is related to sweat and moisture from your skin in fact that if left on them (may not be visible) without being cleaned (or used) can badly effect the ear pads. I learned this when finding my HD201's that I used as a kid look in a real state when i found them years later, while the newer pair that was pretty clean didn't have the pads disintegrate in the same manner at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back