The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 5, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #3,557 of 3,725
Hello everyone - just dropping in to say "greetings from Nashville".

I am going to the ZMF family of owners having purchased on the of the Atrium Open stabilized resin offerings that was released a few weeks ago. I went back and forth on several options and was guided with great feedback to all of my questions. Looking forward to getting these in-house in the next few weeks or so, I will be using the headphones in a somewhat "desktop" centric system.

Which brings me to my next question - a good DAC-headphone amp combo like the Chord TT2 (currently by top choice), the Weiss 501, something else, or some some type of DAC along with a tube amp like the new Aegis that is being discussed.

While I listen to all kinds of genres, the thing I love most is an enveloping soundstage. Because I am rather technical, the presentations and theory of operation for the Chord TT2 and M-Scaler are very compelling. My Linn gear, like Chord, uses an FPGA and a custom output stage which is wonderful in every respect. Ergo, I am drawn to Chord has for a more compact system, But I can be flexible on this. I have enjoyed tubes in the past but tfor one reason or another I had nothing but trouble with them but willing to consider again.

Anyway ZMF owners, what would you think might be good options to consider?
Congrats on the AO, fellow Tennessean!

The TT2 is an excellent DAC but I found its headphone amp is better suited for low impedance headphones. The amp performed well enough with my AC and VC I had at the time, but adding a tube amp left me speechless. I don't know what your budget looks like, but if you have a decently powerful PC you could forego the M-Scaler and use HQPlayer instead. Save yourself a few thousand $$$ and put that towards tubes or another pair of ZMFs.

May 5, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #3,558 of 3,725
Some good SS amp going around for ZMF, in no particular order

1. V281 reissue
2. Cen. Grand Silver Fox
3. Schiit Mjolnir 3
4. Holo Bliss KTE
5. ECP/NITSCH DSHA-3F

They all will offer good big soundstage and won’t mess too much with tonality of ZMF

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #3,559 of 3,725
@macfan

The Decware ZMF OTL would likewise be another option potentially discounted by Zach, check out @goldwerger's review of it.

My recommendation for an initial setup would be to get a good OTL amp

Another vote for OTL amp with your new AO.

My notes on the Decware/ZMF Reference OTL amp are here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/decware-zmf-reference-otl.26421/reviews#review-30541

It’s still my go to amp for it. Just pure magic. Pristine clear and holographic sound. Highly recommended!

May 5, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #3,560 of 3,725
Anyway ZMF owners, what would you think might be good options to consider?
Assumption that your budget is close to 10k since you mention the dac501.

I mirror @Tchoupitoulas's sentiment on the DNA amps. If you can find one second hand I doubt there anything that can top it's synergy with ZMF's dynamic drivers. It encompasses all the qualities you seek in sound stage and technicalities and it doesn't require tube rolling to sound great which is a mark of great amp design. I've been using a Starlett for years with my ZMFs and it killed a lot of my interest in audio gear focuses all my attention to listening and exploring genres that I wasn't into previously. They can be hard to find in second hand market so another option is to explore the amps that are available on ZMF's site if you can get as a bundle with your Atrium but since I have no experience with the any of them I'll refrain from making assumptions.

Dac wise it really depends on your amp overall setup but I really enjoy using the Rockna Wavedream Signature with the ZMFs.

May 5, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #3,562 of 3,725
Some good SS amp going around for ZMF, in no particular order

1. V281 reissue
2. Cen. Grand Silver Fox
3. Schiit Mjolnir 3
4. Holo Bliss KTE
5. ECP/NITSCH DSHA-3F

They all will offer good big soundstage and won’t mess too much with tonality of ZMF
Great list, with a range of prices.

Another great option if you can find one- Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline The Apache.

May 5, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #3,563 of 3,725
Hello everyone - thanks for such great and well thought out responses. Very appreciated. A few additional notes.

My budget can be up to around $9 or $10 USD. I do like the idea of the OTLs or some flavor of tube design and will look at research all of these (which I enjoy doing). Size and weight of some of the OTLs could be an issue due to current space constraints but will consider that on a case by case basis. So many good options to consider here. I have done my fair share of tube rolling and while fun it can be expensive for exotic NOS tubes - and some have quite good stories behind where they were sourced from.

@smutnyjoe - You mentioned tube rolling for your Feliks Euforia, can you share what you went with?

@Tchoupitoulas - The DNA amps look interesting. My initial findings seem to show they are specifically designed for loads like the ZMF Atrium. The size of the Stratus might be a bit large but I would work something out. Any thoughts or experience with the Starlett?

DACs have all kinds of options.

@thingwfeathers - I have read a good deal on HQ Player. While I use PCs extensively in my line of work at the end of the day I am a Mac "snob" till the end. Ultimately, I would like to stay with hardware based components where possible for all the heavy lifting but will to give the Mac HQ Player a try. Ideally it would be complied for Apple Silicon and would user the 32 GPU cores in the chip vs processing on the CPU cores. Agree the $$$ could be allocated to another pair of headphones or other parts of the system

When considering Weiss options the 204 could take care of conversion duties while one to the OTL tube amps could power the headphones.

Anyway more research and investigation as I have at least several weeks to the headphones arrive.

May 5, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #3,565 of 3,725
Hello everyone - thanks for such great and well thought out responses. Very appreciated. A few additional notes.

My budget can be up to around $9 or $10 USD. I do like the idea of the OTLs or some flavor of tube design and will look at research all of these (which I enjoy doing). Size and weight of some of the OTLs could be an issue due to current space constraints but will consider that on a case by case basis. So many good options to consider here. I have done my fair share of tube rolling and while fun it can be expensive for exotic NOS tubes - and some have quite good stories behind where they were sourced from.

@smutnyjoe - You mentioned tube rolling for your Feliks Euforia, can you share what you went with?

@Tchoupitoulas - The DNA amps look interesting. My initial findings seem to show they are specifically designed for loads like the ZMF Atrium. The size of the Stratus might be a bit large but I would work something out. Any thoughts or experience with the Starlett?

DACs have all kinds of options.

@thingwfeathers - I have read a good deal on HQ Player. While I use PCs extensively in my line of work at the end of the day I am a Mac "snob" till the end. Ultimately, I would like to stay with hardware based components where possible for all the heavy lifting but will to give the Mac HQ Player a try. Ideally it would be complied for Apple Silicon and would user the 32 GPU cores in the chip vs processing on the CPU cores. Agree the $$$ could be allocated to another pair of headphones or other parts of the system

When considering Weiss options the 204 could take care of conversion duties while one to the OTL tube amps could power the headphones.

Anyway more research and investigation as I have at least several weeks to the headphones arrive.

The new Wells is to be an Otl, unfortunately no start date is yet known.
Apparently it should also be able to deliver upgrades, so it might be worth waiting here, or asking when it will be ready.
As for the Euforia, it's good, but there are certain things you should know.
Kt66/88,EL34,6550 tubes are not really made for the circuit but are indirectly supported with adapters.
Also you should not overstimulate it more than 7 amps, otherwise it can click.
That's why you shouldn't use 4 KT tubes at the same time, although some of them had some problems afterwards and very rarely had to be sent in for repair.
The money should come third, it is more important where you are and where you want to go and then you buy.
If you have also made sure that you have a tube amplifier that can also offer a variety of tubes and is covered for years.
And it doesn't have to be $5000 if there are amplifiers that cost less and fulfil your criteria.
It may be worth considering a new Dac if your current one doesn't quite fit your system or if a new one is actually worth the upgrade.
Then you will have invested your budget well, and if you have enough money for additional tubes and perhaps headphones, you will have done a lot of things right.

May 6, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #3,566 of 3,725
@Deleeh - Thanks for the reply. The desktop system I am looking to create has no components. I have a main system which will be completely independednt so every piece of gear will be new and bought with the. intent to be synergistic with each other. So I have quite a bit of flexibility.

Option 1: Static desktop system
This would be made of a a combo DAC/headphone amp such as the Chord TT2, Weiss 501 and so on. Other options could include what some have suggested here - a DAC of some sort with a tube headphone amp that will work well the ZMF Atrium Open.

• Source -> Chord TT2 -> ZMFs
  • Source -> M-Scaler -> Chord TT2 -> ZMFs
  • Source -> Weiss 204-> Feliks Euforia evo -> ZMFs
  • Source -> DAC of some sort -> DNA Starlett or Stratus -> ZMFs
Option 2: Hybrid static / mobile system
Very similar to the static desktop system with the main difference being the DAC could be become mobile to be used at a hotel, vacation or any where else It might be helpful to have a mobile solution. I could also factor in a mobile option combined with one of the options above.

• Source -> Chord TT2 -> ZMF (Mojo 2 or Hugo 2 when mobile)
  • Source -> M-Scaler -> Hugo 2-> ZMFs (then simply tote the Hugo 2 along with me)

I cite Chord often just as an example but very open to the options already suggested. From a form factor the Feliks Euforia evo (stock) looks interesting and does the DNA Starlett. Good know about the output tubes. I have never been a big fan of the KT variety of tubes but have liked EL34s in the past. Does anyone know if these amps auto bias or does one have to bias the tubes to get them performing correctly?

May 6, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #3,567 of 3,725
@Deleeh - Thanks for the reply. The desktop system I am looking to create has no components. I have a main system which will be completely independednt so every piece of gear will be new and bought with the. intent to be synergistic with each other. So I have quite a bit of flexibility.

This would be made of a a combo DAC/headphone amp such as the Chord TT2, Weiss 501 and so on. Other options could include what some have suggested here - a DAC of some sort with a tube headphone amp that will work well the ZMF Atrium Open.

Very similar to the static desktop system with the main difference being the DAC could be become mobile to be used at a hotel, vacation or any where else It might be helpful to have a mobile solution. I could also factor in a mobile option combined with one of the options above.

• Source -> M-Scaler -> Hugo 2-> ZMFs (then simply tote the Hugo 2 along with me)

I cite Chord often just as an example but very open to the options already suggested. From a form factor the Feliks Euforia evo (stock) looks interesting and does the DNA Starlett. Good know about the output tubes. I have never been a big fan of the KT variety of tubes but have liked EL34s in the past. Does anyone know if these amps auto bias or does one have to bias the tubes to get them performing correctly?
I used to own a TT2 and liked it quite a bit. It is a great DAC, and the HP out is also very clean. After a while I found it too polite, a bit thin in body and lacking bass strength/slam (aka I started to long for some 'distortion' in Chord lingo). Since I discovered R2R DACs, never looked back to d/s or even Chord's FPGA.
ZMF headphones especially benefit from proper, good amping (and euphonic, 'good' distortion). Therefore, I highly support these two options you mentioned:
  • Weiss 204-> Feliks Euforia evo -> ZMFs
  • DAC of some sort -> DNA Starlett or Stratus -> ZMFs
Plus, my strong candidate for the 'DAC of some sort' would be the new Holo Cyan 2.

Chord devices are great, but IMO they won't bring out the best of ZMF headphones. At least not straight from their headphone outputs, and when you pair them as a DAC only, they suddenly become very expensive. There are different/equally good/or even better (matter of taste of course) DACs out there for less money. Which means more flexibility on the amp front.

May 6, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #3,568 of 3,725

I would add the ZMF Aegis to the mix for an amp. I can't imagine any other amp pairing better than the Aegis with ZMF's. . .

Heck, I am so impressed with the Aegis, I have decided to sell my HA300MK2 and go with the Aegis. The amp is crazy good.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #3,569 of 3,725
I would add the ZMF Aegis to the mix for an amp. I can't imagine any other amp pairing better than the Aegis with ZMF's. . .

Heck, I am so impressed with the Aegis, I have decided to sell my HA300MK2 and go with the Aegis. The amp is crazy good.
Seriously… wow, that says a lot. I remember I was considering a 300b amp on a number of occasions before I built the Aegis but I love the Aegis so much I sort of lost interest!

May 6, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #3,570 of 3,725
If I were starting out fresh in this hobby, the Aegis is the tube amp I'd get.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back