THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 18, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #542 of 1,068
What is different in the Sony MDR-R10’s that makes one bass heavy and one bass light?

Sony only ever made 2,000 of these headphones. The first few hundreds are now colloquially called “bass light” simply because after a few years Sony retuned the headphones to emphasize bass a bit more (to match market demands) which because colloquially called “bass heavy” by future users.

You can tell which is which by the serial number (I can’t recall from memory the serial number cut off, but if you’re ever faced with the dilemma, it’s a simple one - if you see one that you can buy, whatever it is, get it if you are able to:wink:)

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #543 of 1,068
1716008006945.png

May 18, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #544 of 1,068
Unless Jude wants to implement some kind of genAI query plugin a thread like this is kind of useless for almost everyone who does not actively participate on a daily basis. Thread like this would be better suited for Discord.

May 18, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #545 of 1,068
Unless Jude wants to implement some kind of genAI query plugin a thread like this is kind of useless for almost everyone who does not actively participate on a daily basis. Thread like this would be better suited for Discord.
Disagree, look at how useful the Watercooler OG thread was for Portable Sphere.

This is a useful thread for folks who wish to discuss across gears, subjects etc that would be considered off topic in gear threads and serves as a great place for those in Watercooler community to discuss desktop gears.

If you find it useless, that's on you :wink:.

May 18, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #546 of 1,068
Would love to learn what are others’ favorite closed back headphones are..
I've never heard the MDR-R10 or ATH-L5000, but of modern closed-backs, the DCA E3 is the best I've heard if you're looking for a neutral-ish tuning, à la Susvara or Utopia. And similar to Susvara, E3 needs some power to get it fully on song, so it's not ideal for portable use. In terms of cans with more midbass emphasis (the proverbial "fun" tuning), the Atrium Closed favorably impressed me at CanJam NYC, more so than the Caldera Closed did, but I didn't have enough time to try different pads, meshes, amps, etc., so can't give a final verdict on either ZMF.

May 18, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #547 of 1,068
I've never heard the MDR-R10 or ATH-L5000, but of modern closed-backs, the DCA E3 is the best I've heard if you're looking for a neutral-ish tuning, à la Susvara or Utopia. And similar to Susvara, E3 needs some power to get it fully on song, so it's not ideal for portable use. In terms of cans with more midbass emphasis (the proverbial "fun" tuning), the Atrium Closed favorably impressed me at CanJam NYC, more so than the Caldera Closed did, but I didn't have enough time to try different pads, meshes, amps, etc., so can't give a final verdict on either ZMF.
The new Caldera Closed is very good. It has a lot of types of tunings you can push it in via pads and mesh. I love the AC and Bokeh, but the Caldera Closed may be my favorite closed back now. I really want to check out the E3. I used to love my Dan Clark Aeon Closed RT from Drop. Glad that Dan is returning to that type of tuning from what I've read.

May 18, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #548 of 1,068
@BassicScience @Alenotta

Yea, the E3 for me was a dramatic improvement over the recent DCA tuning of the Expanse and Stealth which, for my personal taste, were too sterile. The E3 brings back fun engagement and I had favorable impression of them. I did find vocal timbre a bit of a hit-or-miss, especially in female vocals; but I didn’t test them extensively so will defer to those who have. They were definitely great for rhythmic music.

I love the AC, probably the closed back in most frequent daily use for me!

I do find the CC much more enjoyable now that I can demo them quietly at home. I’m using the protein pads (Zach, knowing my taste and off NYC convo, had those preinstalled). You likely didn’t demo with those pads at CanJam. They do add some energy and fun excitement. I have yet to switch to two other pad types and one other mesh type. There is a ton of tuning options, a very ZMF experience. Basically, getting few headphones in one.. the CC doesn’t have the bass elevation of the AC or the high mid elevation, but it has very good frequency extension, and it is really spacious in its presentation. Early days, but I quite like it!

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #549 of 1,068
So, my work office is closing and I'm moving to a different, smaller space. At work I had a simple set up of a matrix mini i4 pro and my bokeh. Simple, but pretty darn awesome, actually.

Since I don't have room for it at the new location, and safety of the gear is a concern, I brought them home. On a whim, I plugged the matrix in as a pre-amp in my chain. I have to say, pre-amps are no joke! This is potentially putting some of my upgrade plans on hold, as this is sounding just excellent. I get a similar sonic improvement from the Ampsandsound Booster box, which is essentially a fixed volume preamp. It's always nice to find a simple thing that becomes a bump in quality in your chain.

May 18, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #550 of 1,068
@BassicScience @Alenotta

Yea, the E3 for me was a dramatic improvement over the recent DCA tuning of the Expanse and Stealth which, for my personal taste, were too sterile. The E3 brings back fun engagement and I had favorable impression of them. I did find vocal timbre a bit of a hit-or-miss, especially in female vocals; but I didn’t test them extensively so will defer to those who have. They were definitely great for rhythmic music.

I love the AC, probably the closed back in most frequent daily use for me!

I do find the CC much more enjoyable now that I can demo them quietly at home. I’m using the protein pads (Zach, knowing my taste and off NYC convo, had those preinstalled). You likely didn’t demo with those pads at CanJam. They do add some energy and fun excitement. I have yet to switch to two other pad types and one other mesh type. There is a ton of tuning options, a very ZMF experience. Basically, getting few headphones in one.. the CC doesn’t have the bass elevation of the AC or the high mid elevation, but it has very good frequency extension, and it is really spacious in its presentation. Early days, but I quite like it!
Did you listen to different woods with AC and was there a substantial difference in signature? Or is it quite a subtle change akin to cable rolling for example?

May 18, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #551 of 1,068
Did you listen to different woods with AC and was there a substantial difference in signature? Or is it quite a subtle change akin to cable rolling for example?
Wood change > cable change with ZMF headphones in my experience

Usually small difference, but with the AC it’s more pronounced - softer wood have more reverb, while harder woods have a tighter and crisper presentation. Neither is better is worse, it’s a matter of taste. For me, I much preferred the harder wood.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #552 of 1,068
$$ is a factor, no doubt.

I reviewed Jupiter Lee's reimagining of the HD650 several years ago, comparing it to a stock HD650, which I hadn't heard until then. I liked the stock model a lot, but the JAR650 was on an entirely different level. The man really knows what he's doing.
I believe you guys, but it's just too much money. Personally I prefer the HD 600 over the 650 by a lot, the 650 sounds really flat and boring to me. Better for mixing for sure, but for enjoying music, the mids and highs of the 600 are sweet as honey. 😇

May 18, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #553 of 1,068
if you’re ever faced with the dilemma, it’s a simple one - if you see one that you can buy, whatever it is, get it if you are able to:wink:)
Isn’t eslab R10 similar enough? I’ve listened to a few and they were excellent. To me it’s a crazy value looking at classifieds in the US

May 18, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #554 of 1,068
I believe you guys, but it's just too much money. Personally I prefer the HD 600 over the 650 by a lot, the 650 sounds really flat and boring to me. Better for mixing for sure, but for enjoying music, the mids and highs of the 600 are sweet as honey. 😇
The Nitsch Jar600 sounds amazing. I listened to it for a while on the Nitsch DSHA-3FN and it was fabulous. Really pushes what 600 series can do.

I definitely like the 660s2 over the 6xx. All. 600 series are classics on a good amp.

I have only heard the soft wood types at CanJam. I have an olive wood which is a pretty hard wood. I actually have been listening to the AC with the new CC pads this week. Sometimes I also like to use the big fat Dekoni Velour LCD series pads for a smooth top end and weighty bass.
I've been on Bokeh protein pads with the lesser density mesh. CC changes a lot with amp impedance to my ears. I either go L/M impedance with the suede pads and standard red mesh or H impedance with less dense mesh and protein pads. When I get around to writing about the CC I'll include a lot of pad and mesh thoughts. Very tunable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back