The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 4, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #88,381 of 89,545
:smile: I know that @goldwerger would totally say that an Atrium Closed is amazing. But I also know that gun to his head, he'd keep his Atrium Open over his Atrium Closed.
I only auditioned them, but I definitely preferred the Atrium Closed over the Atrium Open.

May 5, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #88,383 of 89,545
But I'm thinking about a pair of closed backs. I want that isolation and what I think comes with it. And having done exactly zero real demos of closed backs, this Socal Canjam may take me in that direction. You join me, and we'll get a great meme out of it 🤣.

you, @aaf evo, and I are making a date for SoCal - I'll walk the floor with you for a couple hours and let you try some really good closed-back setups (may bring one or two cans from home to boot).

:smile: I know that @goldwerger would totally say that an Atrium Closed is amazing. But I also know that gun to his head, he'd keep his Atrium Open over his Atrium Closed.

gun shmun. I don't believe in choosing...:wink:

I think there are some closed-backs that are extraoridnary performers in ways that are completely unrelated to their being closed. Couple of notable examples include the Sony MDR-R10, which have one of the biggest soundstage of any headphones, open or closed; and the Audio-Technica ATH-L5000 (with refitted pads: my mode) which have an incredibly balanced tuning and excellent technicalities. For pure and unadulterated fun, the ZMF AC provides the best sub-bass of any headphones I know (dynamic or planar, open or closed), coupled with a warm and soozing tuning.

TLDR; like any part of our hobby, a vast universe with infinite choices for infinite tastes and use cases.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #88,384 of 89,545
After hearing the song, then repeating it it with visuals, I take it you're 100% ready to join the Watercooler Project World Tour!

With you on vocals, who else on this thread is a singer or playing an instrument? Please do chime in, tell us what you do, and especially why. And as a rule we can never have enough singers, drummers, whatever.

drftr
If we are doing a School of Rock thing I'll be one of the roadies since I don't have musical talent
1000021086.gif

It was a lovely addition to my chain even though I bought for an IEM I have yet to receive!
Wait you can do that? I'll tell my wife it's allowed 😅
Excellent photo, it really looks like it!!!! Being 8 wires isn't it heavy and thick?
Thick and heavy is how I like my cables!

May 5, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #88,385 of 89,545
you, @aaf evo, and I are making a date for SoCal - I'll walk the floor with you for a couple hours and let you try some really good closed-back setups (may bring one or two cans from home to boot).

gun shmun. I don't believe in choosing...:wink:

I think there are some closed-backs that are extraoridnary performers in ways that are completely unrelated to their being closed. Couple of notable examples include the Sony MDR-R10, which have one of the biggest soundstage of any headphones, open or closed; and the Audio-Technica ATH-L5000 (with refitted pads: my mode) which have an incredibly balanced tuning and excellent technicalities. For pure and unadulterated fun, the ZMF AC provides the best sub-bass of any headphones I know (dynamic or planar, open or closed), coupled with a warm and soozing tuning.

TLDR; like any part of our hobby, a vast universe with infinite choices for infinite tastes and use cases.
It's a date! We will follow you with shaking heads 🤣

May 5, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #88,386 of 89,545
May 5, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #88,387 of 89,545
May 5, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #88,390 of 89,545
You are a really good salesman, I need to demo it this coming CanJam if they carry the Prestige Ltd.

I actually am a salesman by trade 😅& have been all my life. My mum told me I could sell ice to the eskimoes since I was about 8, but not quite true I have to be interested in something... nothing sells like genuine enthusiasm. I've sold art in many forms since I was 13 & I'm now 43. My dad says I'm an ethical salesman & that's what I aspire to always be. Never hard sell. Only recommend things to customers/clients that you think will really be of interest/benefit to them, and to somewhat reiterate... only sell things you really believe in.

After being a music agent/promoter (both for live shows) since the late 90s, I got very ill & have been 90% in bed for the last 4.5 years. It's nothing terminal & it's only gone on for so long due to many misdiagnosis by many incompetent doctors - but I have a fantastic medical team now & although I'll never play football again, I'll be pretty mobile eventually... I had a lot of time to think & switched from music (which was was easy & v good money - but I deeply resented the industry ) to Japanese vintage cinema art & just got my licenses to produce original licensed art.

So yeah - apologies for the essay 😅 I love the Prestige Ltd but a noisy environment may not be the best environment for them. What are your preferred genres?

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #88,391 of 89,545
Wow, that's pretty good!

Kind thanks. It was an absolute bucket list tick for me. I'll always be super proud of it. We did a special version of it with MJ's full vocal in the breakdown which debuted at Glastonbury on the main stage a few days after he passed... to see 100k people going absolutely nuts to it brought a big tear to my eye. Never in my wildest dreams.

May 5, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #88,392 of 89,545
Yo, that's nice! I would not have known this is a Michael Jackson song remix. :D really cool, congrats!

Many thanks! The original track wasn't hands in the air euphoric, but I thought it could be with the right build up and bass it could be.

It also samples the popular 90s rnb track Right Here by SWV. If you listen to the last part of the first breakdown before it really kicks off, there's just one bar (technically two) from that track which sounds like a DJ cueing up a record & in the background you can just about hear a male vocal say S - W (two syllables/beats) - V. I think this little touch really adds to how it kicks off... people know it's about to come & it's more unique than another drum fill which was super predictable - it's what what we did first but we didn't like it.

I'll shut up as I'll bore you to tears otherwise 😅

May 5, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #88,393 of 89,545
I actually am a salesman by trade 😅& have been all my life. My mum told me I could sell ice to the eskimoes since I was about 8, but not quite true I have to be interested in something... nothing sells like genuine enthusiasm. I've sold art in many forms since I was 13 & I'm now 43. My dad says I'm an ethical salesman & that's what I aspire to always be. Never hard sell. Only recommend things to customers/clients that you think will really be of interest/benefit to them, and to somewhat reiterate... only sell things you really believe in.

After being a music agent/promoter (both for live shows) since the late 90s, I got very ill & have been 90% in bed for the last 4.5 years. It's nothing terminal & it's only gone on for so long due to many misdiagnosis by many incompetent doctors - but I have a fantastic medical team now & although I'll never play football again, I'll be pretty mobile eventually... I had a lot of time to think & switched from music (which was was easy & v good money - but I deeply resented the industry ) to Japanese vintage cinema art & just got my licenses to produce original licensed art.

So yeah - apologies for the essay 😅 I love the Prestige Ltd but a noisy environment may not be the best environment for them. What are your preferred genres?

Many thanks! The original track wasn't hands in the air euphoric, but I thought it could be with the right build up and bass it could be.

It also samples the popular 90s rnb track Right Here by SWV. If you listen to the last part of the first breakdown before it really kicks off, there's just one bar (technically two) from that track which sounds like a DJ cueing up a record & in the background you can just about hear a male vocal say S - W (two syllables/beats) - V. I think this little touch really adds to how it kicks off... people know it's about to come & it's more unique than another drum fill which was super predictable - it's what what we did first but we didn't like it.

I'll shut up as I'll bore you to tears otherwise 😅
I wish you a speedy recovery! And I absolutely know all about loving those little details in works of art, both from other artists as my own. :)

A new band I am in actually just came back from a short trip to a beefy recording studio and we nailed two tracks down! :) Super excited to share these once they are finished. This time the music is more in the realm of Stoner Rock/Psychedelic and Blues.

May 5, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #88,394 of 89,545
The final version of "First Light" from R&W (a super flagship in-ear headphone, retailing at $7.7k USD) has been significantly improved. This was also the main product I wanted to listen to during my visit to the Tainan Headphone Show. My previous experience wasn’t as outstanding, so hearing about the improvements, I wanted to give it another chance. Now, I've come away with a much improved impression. I really like its pairing with Sp3k and Sp3k + tsu, which might be the best sound atmosphere for violin concertos I’ve experienced, offering a great sense of atmosphere. The main person told me, it's like sitting in the front row of a concert hall. When I used it with Sp3k + Brise Tsuranagi SC, I truly felt its potential and the realism of string instruments, especially during violin concertos.

However, I noticed it’s not as easy to drive as other flagship level IEM’s ; it needs a DAP with a certain drive power and should not be of a warm type, like R2R-type DAP’s, which I don’t recommend, or warm-tuned like Cayin, which might not be suitable.

Another highlight of the upgrade is the cable. Now, the cable is not only comes with vortex audio cable which is suited for vocals but R&W has also made a new iem cable in collaboration with Luminox audio, resulting in a more balanced sound and improved resolution. I recommend this setup, especially for classical music lovers of the violin. Although the earphone's resolution is slightly lacking, this cable indeed solves many issues on details. But still, I’d prefer the overall resolution to be clearer, and it’s less suitable for players with inherently warm players (there's a good chance the sound will blur).

Like I mentioned, pairing with SP3000 balances it out more, but pairing with LP 6ti 7th anniversary version didn't quite fit, even though the player’s power could bring out its bass potential, the sound leans towards being “warm” due to the player’s warm nature.

I hope for a more affordable version in the future, since, for people who care more about sound quality without considering many accessories, the high price might be puzzling. Therefore, I look forward to a simpler version in the future, with a better price, allowing more people to discover this earphone.

Attachments

• IMG_1187.jpeg
    IMG_1187.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1216.jpeg
    IMG_1216.jpeg
    906.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #88,395 of 89,545
I think I can understand why lol. It's probably because he feels that closed back headphones are in some way lesser than open backed headphones, and so he'd be knowingly sacrificing something right from the get go. That doesn't happen so much with IEMs, as you can be at the very pinnacle of the IEM world and still be "closed back" - Alter Ego and Soranik excepted.
Yeah I still remember this fallacy from my headphone days. I've always contended that if you want proper big bass in a headphone you have to go closed back. Sure there are one or two exceptions - 1266 and LCD-3 come to mind - but on the whole it holds true. Same reason IEMs like AE struggle with sub-bass weight. Thankfully there's a place for both designs, and you don't have to choose, but to say open-backs are always superior to closed is about as 'closed' minded as it comes. 🤷🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back