The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 6, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #88,441 of 90,449
Oh on the topic of drum & bass, the latest from ASC is excellent.

May 6, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #88,443 of 90,449
These kind of dnb tracks benefit with the bigger soundstage (beautiful on the final d7000 when compared to utopia):

May 6, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #88,444 of 90,449

Decent enough, but not absolutely my thing. It's got that early GLR vibe & I wasn't into that so much.

Marcus Intalex working with whoever was my all time favourite producer. I've been listening to his track Celestial Navigation a lot recently... I think it's become my all time favourite of his. It used to be Universe, but I think I've heard it too many times now (I used to DJ and played it almost every set for ten years... I would generally only play if I could do three hours)

Marcus Intalex & S.P.Y. - Celestial Navigation

Absolute masterpiece & even if you aren't familiar with or typically aren't into the genre, this is just incredible music, pure class.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #88,446 of 90,449
May 6, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #88,447 of 90,449

If I would be hard pressed, I would say I like jungle more. At least I think this is jungle.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #88,449 of 90,449
DIY’d a guard contraption consisting of foam/tape to protect the cable for the Aroma stack while in transport, quite satisfied:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 6, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #88,450 of 90,449
Decent enough, but not absolutely my thing. It's got that early GLR vibe & I wasn't into that so much.

Marcus Intalex working with whoever was my all time favourite producer. I've been listening to his track Celestial Navigation a lot recently... I think it's become my all time favourite of his. It used to be Universe, but I think I've heard it too many times now (I used to DJ and played it almost every set for ten years... I would generally only play if I could do three hours)

Marcus Intalex & S.P.Y. - Celestial Navigation

Absolute masterpiece & even if you aren't familiar with or typically aren't into the genre, this is just incredible music, pure class.

My preference typically has been atmospheric dnb and certainly the early GLR vibes - LTJ Bukem etc… Horizons an absolute classic. ASC is very much a continuation of that genre.

May 6, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #88,451 of 90,449
My preference typically has been atmospheric dnb and certainly the early GLR vibes - LTJ Bukem etc… Horizons an absolute classic. ASC is very much a continuation of that genre.

Bukem, that's a blast from the past! Good times!

May 6, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #88,452 of 90,449
Didn't Bowers&Wilkins have a diamond dome tweeter? Made with e6...
There's an interesting article in hi-fi+, Feb 24 issue.
Yeah B&W has had a diamond dome tweeter in their 800 series for 15-20 years at this point. Interesting B&W does not use diamond dome tweeters in their top of the line famous Nautilus series. I personally liked their Heritage 800 series better than the Diamond series, sound was a little less piercing and more natural.

May 6, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #88,454 of 90,449
Yeah B&W has had a diamond dome tweeter in their 800 series for 15-20 years at this point. Interesting B&W does not use diamond dome tweeters in their top of the line famous Nautilus series. I personally liked their Heritage 800 series better than the Diamond series, sound was a little less piercing and more natural.
Can confirm. My wife managed to hoover the diaphragm out of one of mine when I had the grills off. Iirc the replacement cost just for the tweeter was something mad like £2k back then, managed to claim it on the house insurance and had a guy round to change it out.

Agree on the tuning though, took me ages to dial in the amp, getting something with enough grunt / dynamics yet tame the treble. Modded MF beast did the trick (tubes on the pre stage) with R2R and some fancy cabling. Sounded cracking after that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back