The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 14, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #86,626 of 90,450
N8ii is insane value for money imho. Its still pocketable while havng a lot of power and options to shape the sound, not being far off something like N30 and DX320 which I owned previously and which I really cant consider pocketable devices anymore. I am very happy with the detailed but slightly warm and thick sound signature of N8ii too, DX320 certainly has the edge in imaging and wider stage, but I disliked the coldish timbre and sometimes excessive treble spikes with some iems.

And yep, I already got a totl desktop solution its just very hot in summer both Holo May and Feliks Envy with giant 300b tubes, in winter you can basically heat your room with those. I just have a very weak spot for portable powerful devices since I am on the move a lot. N8ii is already very capable of driving 300 ohm Atrium and VO, I was impressed by how well it could drive Storm too without maxing out the volume. But yes there is just always this little urge to push things further.
I have tried so many DAPs and keep coming back to the N8ii, there’s something special about its ability to be very detailed, open and still add some warmth. I purchased the DX300 Ti than the DX 320 Ti and both have nice expansive sound but were a little too cold sounding. My brother has the Sony 1zm2 which I also liked, nice warm sound, just felt the N8ii offers a bit more incite and an option to sound a little less warm with certain pairings. And a bit more dynamic in P+ mode. Definitely feel the N8ii was a great value.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #86,627 of 90,450
Sure, synergy needs to match and everybody has their own preferences.

I don’t like the Annihilator much out the PB5. It sounds like a mess to me somehow. Mentor has a totally different presentation out of the PB5, for me in most cases positive. Sometimes (or for some tracks) I like it better from the D16 directly.

For me, the Annihilator and the XDuoo XD05 pro are a match made in heaven. Power, clean output without exaggeration anywhere and treble sparkle to the moon and back.

Makes sense to me and It’s great to have this versatility! I change through my amps a lot lately and have a lot of fun with all the slight variations!
I thought so too with N7 + PB5 with DCA Stealth and the Raven. After switching to old trusty DX312 they both sound splendid :) perhaps try a different source?

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #86,628 of 90,450
This +1 :point_up:

Was enjoying a late night XE6 + OTL + NE30LE sesh with new AZLA Origins, my favorite new ALZA eartips, accompanied with Karuizawa 34 Ruby Geisha Cask #3668 – pure analog bliss. Owning both, there's nothing quite like my FiR bae, XE6.

Was looking back on the XE6 and RN6 poll.

Am I the only one who noticed the Karuizawa? Whilst I’ve never had the privilege of tasting that particular cask, that… is a very subtle (and impressive) flex. Excellent taste.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #86,629 of 90,450

Heading off to Anika Nilles concert in an hour. Super tired from Karaoke yesterday but the weather is great and it'll be fine. Have a good sunday people.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #86,630 of 90,450
there’s less foam foreskin to mess with the sound
Definitely not something I expected to read about ear tips but I guess tips are tips after all.
Maybe not 100% color match but I’m pretty happy with the combo.

1713089683332.jpeg
Absolutely gorgeous even if colors aren't perfectly matched

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #86,631 of 90,450
Lads, I feel like I’m looking for something fun, along the lines of EXT/Fei Wan? Without all that treble. Is there anything in the same vein that’s smoother?

Something with a W/soft U shape with less emphasis on treble to complement the VEX.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #86,632 of 90,450

Heading off to Anika Nilles concert in an hour. Super tired from Karaoke yesterday but the weather is great and it'll be fine. Have a good sunday people.

Awesome! Have a great time, mate! I met her and saw her play at Musikmesse a few years ago. ‘Been itching to go back since. 😁

Lads, I feel like I’m looking for something fun, along the lines of EXT/Fei Wan? Without all that treble. Is there anything in the same vein that’s smoother?

Something with a W/soft U shape with less emphasis on treble to complement the VEX.
Alter Ego!

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #86,634 of 90,450
Do we have any consensus on Cayin C9, worthwhile to pair it up with N8ii for IEMs? Considering getting it for my Atrium Closed travel use and Mentor (which doesnt require much power but may benefit from more?)
For IEMs I’m not a fan I must say. As @Alexzander said, it worsens the sound of the source to me as well - different flavours, but musks it and becomes technically soft. I do think however it is great for headphones (mainly planars), gives great bass in class A. C9ii will indeed be interesting

Attachments

• DSC_0093.jpeg
    DSC_0093.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 14, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #86,635 of 90,450
I'm looking for IEM with big full body, smooth, dynamic sound, high resolution, with nice soundstage, imaging, and layering.
IMAX like sound.

Will pair it with HiBy R8II
Trifecta. Literally the IMAX of IEMs...

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #86,637 of 90,450
I'm looking for IEM with big full body, smooth, dynamic sound, high resolution, with nice soundstage, imaging, and layering.
IMAX like sound.

The Noble Onyx gets my vote.

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #86,639 of 90,450
IMAX like sound.

I would suggest UM Mentor, it has one of the most holographic presentations out there with very natural smooth tuning with emphasis on the mids. The BCD driver makes it great for analog music, since the instruments, voclas have a lot of weight and physicality behind them. It has some of the best technicalities among todays TOTL iems too in regard of resolution and layering. The only downside might (!) be the BA bass which some people dislike. Personally I think, while its not a dynamic driver, its still one of the better bass reproductions among the current TOTL IEMs. Another options would be Trailli and the sinfully expensive Trailli Ti. Both are superbly smooth IEMs with great technicalities.

There is a strong emotional following of Trifecta in the Watercooler community, which can make this IEM seem like a safe choice. I strongly suggest trying this IEM first, it has a rather divisive tuning, which is a hate or a love thing. The technicalities like layering and resolution will be behind most IEMs in its price range, though if you like a Very Strong Bass and a large stage it might be another great option for you.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #86,640 of 90,450
I welcome you to check out my AüR Audio Aurora review right here

20230802_084912.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back