USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 2, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #6,451 of 6,503
The filters are a part of the chipset. Nowhere else. So you're getting the same filters with every CS chip compared to every other CS chip every ESS chip compared to every other ESS . Lately with the version 2 filter set from HIBY they have broken the mold and are doing something a little different seems like they are trying to get rid of pre-ringing on every filter set which is making a statement.
I have a revealing home stereo so I have an actual soundstage with imaging put out in front of me I can hear filters for sure on every dongle I've tried. Most filters are linear The only difference is their roll-off slope fast rolls off quickly and abruptly at around 20 slow begins to roll off a little before that and at a more gentle slope and what they call NOS is not NOS at all but it's just a really really slow slope.
The slow or NOS most likely give the best results for 96 and above material. What is best at 44 I'm still studying... Some claim the fast but there are variations changing where and how much ringing for 44 material . That's where they start calling it delay and other terms

May 2, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #6,452 of 6,503
Andy also puts the filters in relation to the type and way of playing the individual IEMs/headphones.

May 2, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #6,453 of 6,503
I've picked up on that too. That can be helpful. But it's probably even better at least on our end to know exactly what's going on to relate it to what he and other reviewers say. You're getting some different effects based on the filter type which change the high frequency roll-off and decay and especially the air which you can hear on headphones or speakers with ribbon or planar tweeters like mine

May 2, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #6,455 of 6,503
May 3, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #6,458 of 6,503
Fiio ka17 & Epz tp50 which of the two dongles do both owners prefer?

I bought both, but I personally like the KA17 more.

Reasons:
- KA17 has more power on tap - 650 mW on balanced desktop mode versus 240 mW on the TP50. So KA17 can drive way more power-hungry stuff.
- KA17 has PEQ on Android (Fiio control app). This allows the KA17 to be changed to any tonality you wish for, ie it has better versatility. The PEQ ain't available for Apple users though

TP50 is nevertheless a very competitive dongle, but I have quite a few low sensitivity/high impedance gear, so the additional power of the KA17 is desirable for my case use.

May 4, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #6,459 of 6,503
so... did you all find the best dongle dac? and does it cost less than 6k? (joke)

more seriously, what do folks recommend in various price brackets? i currently use a btr3k in usb mode for my PC and IEMs. but im thinking about getting some harder to drive headphones, possibly some planars, in the near future. im more in the camp of dac/amps dont really matter as long as they can drive the given headphone to reasonable levels without bad levels of distortion or clipping. so no "the synergy is strong with this one" pls.

May 4, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #6,460 of 6,503
so... did you all find the best dongle dac? and does it cost less than 6k? (joke)

more seriously, what do folks recommend in various price brackets? i currently use a btr3k in usb mode for my PC and IEMs. but im thinking about getting some harder to drive headphones, possibly some planars, in the near future. im more in the camp of dac/amps dont really matter as long as they can drive the given headphone to reasonable levels without bad levels of distortion or clipping. so no "the synergy is strong with this one" pls.
Up to 10 EUR: VE ODO (may be a bit weak for planars)
Up to 100 EUR: Colorfly CD-M1P
Up to 150 EUR: EPZ TP50, Questyle m12i
Up to 300 EUR: Hiby FC6, Cayin RU6
Up to 500 EUR: iBasso DC Elite, Cayin RU7

Personally, I think EPZ TP50 hits the sweet spot: price to performance, driving power, filters and your nemesis - strong synergy :p

May 4, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #6,461 of 6,503
Up to 10 EUR: VE ODO (may be a bit weak for planars)
Up to 100 EUR: Colorfly CD-M1P
Up to 150 EUR: EPZ TP50, Questyle m12i
Up to 300 EUR: Hiby FC6, Cayin RU6
Up to 500 EUR: iBasso DC Elite, Cayin RU7

Personally, I think EPZ TP50 hits the sweet spot: price to performance, driving power, filters and your nemesis - strong synergy :p
ill take a look at the TP50 then. assuming it isnt just FOTM by folks who think that two fully functional, unshielded, usb cables sending digital data can have different sound.

May 4, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #6,462 of 6,503
This is my personal ranking...

1) DC-Elite
2) FC6
3) EPZ TP50

The first for general performance, the second for the "magical" R2R sound and the third for the very high quality/price ratio and its versatility. Having said that, in my opinion, all three should also be taken calmly and finding the right price, because each of the three offers performance well beyond their cost.
Hello sorry i want to ask regarding the TP50 what is the function of DAC OM CL-H/ CL-AB ?? I was trying to find out what is this mode for but i found nothing.

May 4, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #6,463 of 6,503
oh. anyone have experience running the hifiman arya stealth on the epz tp50 (or any dongles under like 200)? just found out that the stealth has been massively discounted in my region (nearly 50% off) since the release of the organic. i know the organic is meant to be an improvement from the stealth, but at that price...

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #6,464 of 6,503
oh. anyone have experience running the hifiman arya stealth on the epz tp50 (or any dongles under like 200)? just found out that the stealth has been massively discounted in my region (nearly 50% off) since the release of the organic. i know the organic is meant to be an improvement from the stealth, but at that price...
Have you tried the gear before buying? I no longer have arya SE so cant tell but IMO arya was very bright i even tried the organic and it was bright too bright even. He1kse is the tamest from many hifiman i have tried. I think hifiman need warmer source like FC6 to sound beautiful. I tried FC6 with He1kse and it was beautiful but the stage was congested. Tp50 i dont recommend with he1kse lack in power IMO. But this Tp50 sound so good with IEM this is true price to performance and the sound is very colorful and sweet. The filter change sound drastically from neutral bright to warm sounding . Best purchase this year after DC Elite for dongle.

May 4, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #6,465 of 6,503
Type of amplification AB is best then H
:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back