Which DAC
May 4, 2024 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jonno41

Head-Fier
I am using Sparkos Labs Aries headphone amp and Rosson Rad-O headphones with Cardas Clear cable.
I am currently using an ANK 2.1 tube DAC but considering changing to a S/S DAC.
Short list is Denafrips Pontus II,Gustard R26 or Holo Audio Cyan 2.
Can’t make up my mind as to which DAC as no chance of listening before I buy here in NZ.
Any thoughts from forum members much appreciated.Thanks.

May 5, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 9
What's wrong with your Ank 2.1 Dac?
I've read a lot of good things about it.
I don't know if the R26 or Cyan 2 have the same analogue sound as the Ank.
I think the cyan and R26 are more modern.
I also don't think the two are much alike, the Cyan will be better here and there than the R26 and vice versa on the subtle level.
The question here is rather in which direction you want to go, while the Cyan 2 is more standard in terms of connectivity, the R26 offers a streamer and more connectivity options.
This is also reflected in the price at the end.
I can't say much about the Pontus.
If the budget allows, I would take a look at the Laiv Harmony, which is all the rage at the moment.

May 5, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 9
Yeah why changing? Wan't a different flavor?
Cyan 2 are for those who likes DSD, R26 for PCM playback + has a built-in streamer.

Yeah LAIV Harmony is the talk of the town...

Look also for Eversolo DMP-A8 or Teac UD-701N too.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Why? (again). From your short list only Pontus will be close to the analogue sound of ANK. The other two DACs are targeting supermarket customer. Both use opamps which result that users get the best results when smoothing a sound before feeding a DAC (HQPlayer, etc).

An alternative to Pontus is Audio GD R-8. Based on a price matching, but you should be happy from R-1 NOS which is $900. It is also fully balanced like Pontus (including a ladder). They other two have a single-ended ladder in contrary to what is advertised.

What is your source? I think USB (even if present) is not the best quality in your DAC. You can look for an improvement by adding DDC and using S/PDIF output. Or use a poorman type converters, like the one linked below. But a good DDC like DI-24HE is not a wasted investment.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dou...or-an-affordable-clean-digital-signal.958462/

May 6, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 9
I am using Sparkos Labs Aries headphone amp and Rosson Rad-O headphones with Cardas Clear cable.
I am currently using an ANK 2.1 tube DAC but considering changing to a S/S DAC.
Short list is Denafrips Pontus II,Gustard R26 or Holo Audio Cyan 2.
Can’t make up my mind as to which DAC as no chance of listening before I buy here in NZ.
Any thoughts from forum members much appreciated.Thanks.
What are "you" looking for in sound?

Answer that, and you'll have a better understanding of what amp may fit "your" tastes. Everyone has a sound they like, and not all are the same.

I have the Pontus, but it's paired with a Denafrips headphone amp that is warm and colored but that's what I was after. Others hear "colored" and run for the hills as they may prefer a more neutral or detailed system.

What are you looking for in "your" music enjoyment?

May 6, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 9
What's wrong with your Ank 2.1 Dac?
I've read a lot of good things about it.
I don't know if the R26 or Cyan 2 have the same analogue sound as the Ank.
I think the cyan and R26 are more modern.
I also don't think the two are much alike, the Cyan will be better here and there than the R26 and vice versa on the subtle level.
The question here is rather in which direction you want to go, while the Cyan 2 is more standard in terms of connectivity, the R26 offers a streamer and more connectivity options.
This is also reflected in the price at the end.
I can't say much about the Pontus.
If the budget allows, I would take a look at the Laiv Harmony, which is all the rage at the moment.
Thanks for you input.I need to put a bit more thought into any change.

May 6, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Why? (again). From your short list only Pontus will be close to the analogue sound of ANK. The other two DACs are targeting supermarket customer. Both use opamps which result that users get the best results when smoothing a sound before feeding a DAC (HQPlayer, etc).

An alternative to Pontus is Audio GD R-8. Based on a price matching, but you should be happy from R-1 NOS which is $900. It is also fully balanced like Pontus (including a ladder). They other two have a single-ended ladder in contrary to what is advertised.

What is your source? I think USB (even if present) is not the best quality in your DAC. You can look for an improvement by adding DDC and using S/PDIF output. Or use a poorman type converters, like the one linked below. But a good DDC like DI-24HE is not a wasted investment.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dou...or-an-affordable-clean-digital-signal.958462/
Thanks for your response.I am using a Naim Unity Core server with a wave Storm Coax to the ANK.
Main problem is that being a tube DAC the ANK takes a long time to warm up.Even after switching on and playing music for around half an hour before listening it still doesn’t settle down for some time.
Thoughts are that by going S/S things would warm up quicker and that R2R ladder DAC would be best option.
I will certainly take on board what you state about targeting supermarket customers and that both the Gustard and Holo aren’t what they claim to be.
Only worry about the Pontus is that most of the reviews state that burn in takes a long time.
At 83 years old do I have enough time left to enjoy the DAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for your response.I am using a Naim Unity Core server with a wave Storm Coax to the ANK.
Main problem is that being a tube DAC the ANK takes a long time to warm up.Even after switching on and playing music for around half an hour before listening it still doesn’t settle down for some time.
Thoughts are that by going S/S things would warm up quicker and that R2R ladder DAC would be best option.
I will certainly take on board what you state about targeting supermarket customers and that both the Gustard and Holo aren’t what they claim to be.
Only worry about the Pontus is that most of the reviews state that burn in takes a long time.
At 83 years old do I have enough time left to enjoy the DAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not only Pontus, more about later. Discrete ladder DAC needs 500÷1000 hours burning before sound is optimal. After such period if used regularly, can be powered off for a night and next day it needs just 30 minutes to get temperature stabilised. It doesn't mean it is not listenable when switching on, like it is during a first week of intial burning. However some people keep their DAC powered on all the time, it is not good for tubes. Tube DAC can be modified, so the power switch will affect only a tube output section, but no-one bothered with such idea, as integrated ladders in chips require less burning time.

It is why when I hear that sound is not stabilising for longer time, I suspect ANK needs a service to check whether solder joints are not cracked (it happens regularly on tube sockets) and internal components are still in a good condition, especially capacitors. Audiophile grade capacitors can deteriorate quicker. If you like a sound, it can be worth refurbishing.

Extra comment about Pontus, it is normal, predictable. Abnormal when there is no warming time. That's correct!

Some brands pollute sound with extensive ultrasonic spread spectrum modulation. It is a method to linearize ladder errors, it also reduce warming time. Measurements look better on the FFT, as analyser output is averaged over thousands samples, spike peaks are blured with a floor noise. Sound becomes more smooth and it can cause dizziness over a longer session. In a case of the most pervert brand Holo, sound is more close to Delta-Sigma DACs than R2R. Reviewers avoid comparison with other R2R brands, they rather chose Delta-Sigma.

I am writing this all, as this thrend has short legs. It is already seen that most of users of a modern implementation of R2R DAC start using powerful PC to convert PCM content to a high speed DSD, it is bypassing R2R ladder completely.

Denafrips use traditional approach, there are no opamps in the audio path, while there is a confusion among users how it should sound, as different versions of a firmware do not bring definitive answer. Audio GD is the old school in silicon design, but sound is more modern, brings a bigger punch and excitement. There is no money spent on advertising, it leads to a great value. I recommend R-8HE if you don't have already power conditioner in the room. It is their basic model for a high-end setup. There are three R-27 models with the same DAC section as R-8 and a headphone amp. If you decide to spend more, you get a larger enclosure, better power supply, but in this range there is a model with four (or eight?) PCM1704-UK chips!
:)

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 9
In my experience, Naim anything as a source pairs wonderfully with Chord DACs, especially if you have a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back