Worth knowing: People perceive silence similarly to how they perceive sounds
Jul 20, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #16 of 36
If anyone considers that paper to be a violation of the specific laws of sound science, all he has to do is notify the Sound Science Forum Moderator and request the deletion of the thread.

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #18 of 36
I find the experiments interesting from what I know, just not in way they presented it.
Agreed, interesting from the point of view of human perception in response to the given aural illusions but nothing to do with what they were presenting, the perception of silence.

G

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #19 of 36
Maybe the brain is like wifi when it's scanning constantly searching for a network, and strains to hear sound in the absence of?
It has to do with how neurons function in a collective. The brain consists of around 60-70 billion neurons, with each having thousands of connections to adjacent cells. So we are talking about 10 trillions of connections. That collective network never fully rests, connections are constantly removed, build or renewed.

There is no such thing as total absence of any perception/sensation.

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #20 of 36
It has to do with how neurons function in a collective. The brain consists of around 60-70 billion neurons, with each having thousands of connections to adjacent cells. So we are talking about 10 trillions of connections. That collective network never fully rests, connections are constantly removed, build or renewed.

Exactly. The brain is very powerful and never fully at rest. Hence my analogy.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #21 of 36
If anyone considers that paper to be a violation of the specific laws of sound science …
Technically one could argue it’s not a scientific paper (and I did) but I don’t see it as being against any rules of this subforum, even unspoken ones. I personally found it quite interesting, although also somewhat annoying!

G

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #25 of 36
give me a comprehensive and detailed definition of what a "pure democracy" would be.
Working on the principle in the linked paper of “Pure Silence”, then an example of a “Pure Democracy” would be North Korea!

G

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #28 of 36
That's why you have a vote, so the majority decide, not the few.
The vote only decides the few who will be in charge. Those few then decide on what is going happen/ what will be regulated in what ways. So, the few still decide, not the majority.

But seriously, I was about to open a -some sort of- philosophical/political thread in here for a few weeks, but I was always hesitant. There, we can discuss all kinds of things of such nature, w/o off-topic spamming other threads.

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #29 of 36
Those few then decide on what is going happen/ what will be regulated in what ways.

Which would be ok if they always acted upon their manifesto pledges or held an immediate general election if they cannot.

shenanigans
noun [ plural ]
informal

UK
/ʃəˈnæn.ɪ.ɡənz/ US

/ʃəˈnæn.ɪ.ɡənz/

Add to word list
disapproving
secret or dishonest activities, usually of a complicated type:
Like many local governments in the state, the county has a long history of political shenanigans.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #30 of 36
Easy. One where the people's wishes are considered and acted upon :relaxed:
Switzerland? They get more referendums than you get car insurance ads.

Hair cells will make noise all the time, some neurons will get triggered in probably any scenario of ”silence” that not actually silence with a dead body. The level to reach action potential is problematic because our body has ways to alter that threshold a little. The brain then also has the means to give zero F and have a neuron tell another not to follow up on a received signal from somewhere else for reasons.
But then again we can also do the opposite in some parts of the brain by simply recalling an event. if you sing a song in your head, some electrical events will match the actual hearing of sound for example(or so say the papers on the subject). Obviously it’s not a 100% copy because memory isn’t nearly that good, and also because if anytime you think of something, your body re-enacted the all thing, you’d be in a lot of troubles.
”remember that lamp we saw”
You driving your car and hitting a tree because your vision has been replaced by the image of the lamp. Oopsy!

But seriously, I was about to open a -some sort of- philosophical/political thread in here for a few weeks, but I was always hesitant.
As you should because on Head-fi, politic is a big no no. Even I can’t pretend I didn’t see it because I was remembering the lamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back