Your favorite headphone for classical music and why.
Jan 18, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #16 of 67
Right, I would not use any Meze for classical (it's good for other things).

Jan 18, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 67
I think you simply need to hear Stax before you make a choice since you haven't.

Outside of bass response and high resolution, there really isn't such thing as this overarching sound of "Stax". All of the high end models sound different, it's just going to be best to try. For classical, the SGL Sr. and 009 would be my top choice, x9000 up there too, although I prefer the presentation less despite it's higher technical ability than the 009. Susvara is a pretty good all rounder, and as nearly technically competent as the 009 with slightly better weight and better bass impact.

I'd also consider the Raal Sr1a, which also shines with classical. I personally wouldn't prioritize bass impact with all of the other categories like imaging, soundstaging, resolution etc. that are all so important to classical, but that's just me. Most of the headphones with really exceptional bass, struggle in one of or multiple of those categories; everything has a tradeoff. But all of that, and all of our opinions aside, you need to try and hear a stat system and the other headphones you're considering.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #18 of 67
Top of the cake for me is the OG bass light R10. Levels above. It'll make every hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Next up would be the original Sr-omega, but it loses a bit of the excitement the R10 can produce.
The Sennheiser He60 is extremely strong for string pieces, but maybe not universal on all classical.
As has been mentioned before speaker orientated headphones : k1000 / Sigma / Ra1 - are great choices, but I don't enjoy them for classical with a lot of lower-frequency instruments.

My Grado Hp-1000 doesn't have the soundstage to feel like you're actually in the room, HOWEVER, when I saw the LA Phil this year, and then went back to compare to my setup I found the Grado hp-1000 the most accurate to the experience. The new 2022 Utopia is a similar vibe to this. Very good at conveying dynamics and timber.

From the modern line-up, the x9000 on a bloomy tube amp is a good choice but not as good as the Sr-omega. T2 but might change my mind here, but probably not.

I would avoid the stax 009s (too bright), stax 007 (unless mk1, then sure) and the CRBN (tonally incorrect, turns violins into violas).

On a budget I would recommend an older Stax Lambda models (LNS, Lambda pro, Sr-lambda NB) since they have a really nice balance and holographic nature with classical. LNS + Carbon or BHSE is pretty close to summit-fi for classical.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 67
Wow! So many good recommendations here. Thank you all.Wow! So many good recommendations here. Thank you all.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #20 of 67
Top of the cake for me is the OG bass light R10. Levels above. It'll make every hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Next up would be the original Sr-omega, but it loses a bit of the excitement the R10 can produce.
The Sennheiser He60 is extremely strong for string pieces, but maybe not universal on all classical.
As has been mentioned before speaker orientated headphones : k1000 / Sigma / Ra1 - are great choices, but I don't enjoy them for classical with a lot of lower-frequency instruments.

My Grado Hp-1000 doesn't have the soundstage to feel like you're actually in the room, HOWEVER, when I saw the LA Phil this year, and then went back to compare to my setup I found the Grado hp-1000 the most accurate to the experience. The new 2022 Utopia is a similar vibe to this. Very good at conveying dynamics and timber.

From the modern line-up, the x9000 on a bloomy tube amp is a good choice but not as good as the Sr-omega. T2 but might change my mind here, but probably not.

I would avoid the stax 009s (too bright), stax 007 (unless mk1, then sure) and the CRBN (tonally incorrect, turns violins into violas).

On a budget I would recommend an older Stax Lambda models (LNS, Lambda pro, Sr-lambda NB) since they have a really nice balance and holographic nature with classical. LNS + Carbon or BHSE is pretty close to summit-fi for classical.
OG bass light R10?

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #21 of 67
HE1000SE is my favorite headphone for classical. It's a bright headphone with good planar sub-bass and a tall soundstage. It makes classical/orchestra sound exciting. Clash cymbals feel like someone put a metal pot over your head and started beating you with a hammer.

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #23 of 67
OG bass light R10?
The original 1990~ Sony Mdr-r10 (not the hifiman knock off or the ES-labs replica). Probably run you about $8-10k if you find one that has been kept well and has been re-foamed.
There are two versions, bass light and the later bass heavy tuning. The bass light is the superior unit imo.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #24 of 67
Depending upon the recording, ZMF Atrium (Cocobolo) or ZMF Verite Open (Stabilised). Reasons: clarity, dynamics, naturalness, rendition of soundstage, tonal balance…..

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #25 of 67
Raal CA1a with FIR filter from Accurate Sound paired with 300B tubes is excellent for classical. Low end is weighty, timbre’s accurate for string instruments and very dynamic sounding.

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #26 of 67
I'm looking for impressions and opinions as to what headphone is your favorite headphone for classical music and why. What characteristics make it your favorite?
I currently have a Meze Elite and I am pleased with it for classical. I have limited experience with other headphones in this price range so If I change headphones, I don't know if it will be an upward/downward move or a lateral move.
He1000v2. Clarity, detail, balance, timber, - exactly what any youtube review says. But for my 2 cents, and I've been in this hobby for some time, the HE1000v2 with my Burson Soloist 3X amp and Bifrost 2 DAC while listening to classical is just fantastic

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #27 of 67
HD800 if you can stand/prefer bright, HD800S, any STAX. HD600 is perfectly fine. So is HD650. I didn't care for the original Utopia with classical, but I assume the newer version would be good.

But, in essence: STAX. I use the x9000 and the L700 at the moment with the STAX T8000 amp.

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #28 of 67
Thank you all for the information and recommendations. Much appreciated.

I have an opportunity to purchase a T+A Solitaire P and was wondering if anyone had a chance to hear it.

Taking the plunge on electrostatic headphones is something I'm questioning because I will have to get a new amplifier and basically redo the system. I've never even heard electrostats before so It's a big jump to take blindly.
I was just going to suggest the Solitaire P. I love my Elite and as an allrounder I would probably pick the Meze over the Soli P due to that unique sweetness in their tonality, but the Solitaire P is technically a bit superior and specifically classical music is an amazing experience through them. My main reason saying that is probably the outstanding staging on the T+A; how you can pinpoint individual musicians in the orchestra and also a clear, spacious and detailed presentation with just a hint of Hi-Fi warmth.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #29 of 67
I was just going to suggest the Solitaire P. I love my Elite and as an allrounder I would probably pick the Meze over the Soli P due to that unique sweetness in their tonality, but the Solitaire P is technically a bit superior and specifically classical music is an amazing experience through them. My main reason saying that is probably the outstanding staging on the T+A; how you can pinpoint individual musicians in the orchestra and also a clear, spacious and detailed presentation with just a hint of Hi-Fi warmth.
Wow. Thank you. I'm deciding on either keeping the Elite, getting the Solitaire or maybe a Susvara (for a second time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back