ZMF Atrium Closed
May 3, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #3,121 of 3,171
This aged cherry (new to me) is right between the natural cherry & aged, not quite as dark as some variations and still beautiful with a nice gloss sheen to them. ❤
IMG_7985.jpeg
Those are gorgeous, congrats! Very pretty grain pattern.

May 3, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #3,122 of 3,171
I got some NOS GE 5670 tubes with adapters for my WA3, and the AC is really loving them! Big bass, lots of air up top, and a nice liquid sound really bring out the engaging qualities of the AC.
AC 5670.jpg
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Redwood Burl!

I’m hoping Zach and team make Caldera Closed in a red-toned wood like this (or Cocobolo!) or a gold-toned wood with cool figuring (Queensland Maple, Camphor Burl)… time will tell!

May 9, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #3,123 of 3,171
I've just realised that it was a year ago today that I received my AC. I never thought I'd spend so much money on headphones one day, but I have to say I'm more than glad I did. They are worth every penny. I've been able to enjoy them every day and I'm still impressed with the sound. They really manage to convey emotions like few others. I will keep them as long as I can.

IMG_1759.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #3,124 of 3,171
I've just realised that it was a year ago today that I received my AC. I never thought I'd spend so much money on headphones one day, but I have to say I'm more than glad I did. They are worth every penny. I've been able to enjoy them every day and I'm still impressed with the sound. They really manage to convey emotions like few others. I will keep them as long as I can.

IMG_1759.jpg
That is the same exact way I feel about mine as well.

May 9, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #3,125 of 3,171

IMG_1759.jpg
The AC looks so good in olive. One of my favorites.

May 9, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #3,126 of 3,171

IMG_1759.jpg
1000%

May 9, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #3,127 of 3,171
I’m excited to try the new Caldera Suede pads that only have the perforations on the top on my Atrium Closed. They’re supposed to up the bass a bit vs the Caldera Suedes a lot of us are using on our ACs. These new pads are an option on the Caldera Closed, so I’m sure they’ll be available to purchase separately soon.

May 10, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #3,129 of 3,171
Has anyone purchased the AC in Queensland Maple? Curious as to how you feel they look and sound ( especially vs other woods ). Tks.

I asked ZMF support the same question regarding the sonic differences and got this reply. I'm still waiting for mine to ship so can't comment on my own experience.

Of the two LTD woods, Cocobolo is the more dense wood and thus will have a shorter attack/decay time due to the sound being reflected off a harder surface. This tends to create for a slightly faster, tighter, punchier type of sonic experience. Queensland maple is more dense then cherry, but is less denser then Cocobolo. Sonically, the maple wood fall in between cherry and cocobolo in terms of density.

May 10, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #3,130 of 3,171
Has anyone purchased the AC in Queensland Maple? Curious as to how you feel they look and sound ( especially vs other woods ). Tks.
I own the Queensland Maple pair and it is beautiful wood and finish. The wood with the finish has an almost lenticular 3d affect to it.

As for how it sounds compared to other woods I can't say since I only own one pair of the ACs. As far as comparisons to other woods, it is my favorite pair in terms of look and feel when up against the limba of my Bokeh, red heart Atrium, or aged oak of my Caldera.

May 11, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #3,131 of 3,171
after 500 or so hours on the AC I finally swapped the pads to Caldera Suedes. Definately airier? but the loss of bass made me want to go back to the Caldera Lambskin Thin too much. So after about 4 hours of listening I decided the Caldera Suedes isn't for me. I did order the new Caldera Closed with the Top Pref Caldera Suedes so I can try them out on the AC after reading it will bring the bass back up while retaining the Suede sound so we'll see how that goes.

This is all to say I will be selling the Caldera Suede full pref pads. Shoot me a PM

May 13, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #3,132 of 3,171
I've started getting interested in AC. Would be interesting to hear comments especially from TC and Utopia owners and when you pic AC over those. Also I guess Bliss at high-z should be a good pairing?

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #3,133 of 3,171
after 500 or so hours on the AC I finally swapped the pads to Caldera Suedes. Definately airier? but the loss of bass made me want to go back to the Caldera Lambskin Thin too much. So after about 4 hours of listening I decided the Caldera Suedes isn't for me. I did order the new Caldera Closed with the Top Pref Caldera Suedes so I can try them out on the AC after reading it will bring the bass back up while retaining the Suede sound so we'll see how that goes.

This is all to say I will be selling the Caldera Suede full pref pads. Shoot me a PM
Would definitely be interested in your impression/feedback on the Caldera Closed(Top Pref Caldera Suedes) on the AC.
Is this to tone down the treble a bit??

May 13, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #3,134 of 3,171
So I have a question for the group regarding pads and the potential "spicy treble" shenanigans of the AC. There are now several pads floating around the "Zuniverse" that are, what I'm guessing, potential solves for this.
1. Bokeh Suede Perf., 2. Caldera Suede, 3. Caldera Thin Protein (Top Perf only) 4. Caldera Suede (Top Perf only), 5. Caldera Thin Hybrid (Top Perf only) That's FIVE pad options/possibilities.... At this point, I'm trying to sort and seek a solid solution. I will say, I have heard great things about the Bokeh Suede Perf., and a bit of a mixed bag with the Caldera Suede (Bass loss, congestion etc.) Can someone... anyone, with good, working knowledge of this provide any insights? Thank you in advance!!:smile_phones:

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #3,135 of 3,171
Small thread admin note..

I changed the thread name to "ZMF Atrium Closed" (from "ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF"), both for the sake of accuracy and for simplicity, so future users can easily find it.

keep it going!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back