ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #2,161 of 2,414
I’m not too worried about it. I did get a rare atrium open during November about a month or so ago. This was the second pair that I ordered which is a closed atrium.
I am still waiting on my Atrium closed as well, so it must be the last batch they are sending out.

This seemed to be a very successful November for them, so im sure they were and are super busy. Wait makes it worth it!

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #2,162 of 2,414
I’m looking for a new DAC for these beauties.

IMG_2278 Large.png
Coming from an RME ADI-2 DAC fs and my limit is $3k.

I’m thinking either a spring 3 KTE or a Wandla (no Hypsos)

Any recommendations or votes for/against the above?
I would certainly go R2R. Something from Denafrips, Musician, Audio-GD, Rockna to fit your budget.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #2,163 of 2,414
I’m looking for a new DAC for these beauties.

IMG_2278 Large.png
Coming from an RME ADI-2 DAC fs and my limit is $3k.

I’m thinking either a spring 3 KTE or a Wandla (no Hypsos)

Any recommendations or votes for/against the above?
Spring / May work beautiful with all ZMF, heard great things about Wandla

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #2,164 of 2,414
Spring / May work beautiful with all ZMF, heard great things about Wandla

My only concern with getting a Spring is that I cannot return it if I do not like it. Kitsune Hifi specifically says there are no cancellations or refunds after you've made a purchase. At least I can get a Wandla from Headphones.com and return it within a year if I don't like it.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #2,165 of 2,414
My only concern with getting a Spring is that I cannot return it if I do not like it. Kitsune Hifi specifically says there are no cancellations or refunds after you've made a purchase. At least I can get a Wandla from Headphones.com and return it within a year if I don't like it.

American customer rights go brrr.

In Europe any business is obligated to accept returns on online purchases within 2 weeks.

Can’t do much wrong with spring though, but Wandla might(!) be a safer call and could be a better sounding dac considered it said to be tuned close to May, with it as a benchmark.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #2,166 of 2,414
Used Chord TT2.

Yeah, if he can find a used TT2 in that price range, that would be a good choice. I love my TT2/M-Scaler.

The Spring 3 is nice too, but a bit of a different animal.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #2,167 of 2,414
Yeah, if he can find a used TT2 in that price range, that would be a good choice. I love my TT2/M-Scaler.

The Spring 3 is nice too, but a bit of a different animal.
For the money, it seems to be the best call. $3k is a bit of a push, but its possible to find one for that. Plus Chord overall reliability seems to be very good since he would be buying out of warranty.

I have no complaints with my TT2, other than I want an Mscaler to go with it and those arent cheap either :innocent:. But its in my secondary listening station that doesn't get as much use so I guess its fine for now.

I can't really think of any other DAC that would be as good in the $3-3.5k range.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #2,168 of 2,414
For the money, it seems to be the best call. $3k is a bit of a push, but its possible to find one for that. Plus Chord overall reliability seems to be very good since he would be buying out of warranty.

I have no complaints with my TT2, other than I want an Mscaler to go with it and those arent cheap either :innocent:. But its in my secondary listening station that doesn't get as much use so I guess its fine for now.

I can't really think of any other DAC that would be as good in the $3-3.5k range.

Yeah, it's great. I'm listening to it with my Aegis right now. :)

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #2,169 of 2,414
'Confection' has arrived! These will primarily be used for my gaming PC. I wanted a closed back because the HD800s let in way too much fan noise / mechanical keyboard noise. Some isolation will be appreciated. Paired with the Aegis / Qutest. I thought the color of this set fit a gaming PC vibe perfectly. They look amazing in person!

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0516.jpeg
    IMG_0516.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 24, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #2,170 of 2,414
1000025416.jpg

Testing with the ZMF's tonight!! 😁

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #2,171 of 2,414

As much as I want a TT2, I’m only seeing them around $4k at the least and I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a DAC (yet). I also have to wonder how much better the FPGA implementation of filter taps sounds than a fully digital implementation done through Roon or HQPlayer. It’s it really worth it for hardware implemented filter coefficients when software can give you more of them than the M-Scaler for cheaper?

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #2,172 of 2,414
1000025416.jpg

Testing with the ZMF's tonight!! 😁
Oooo. Almost bought this. Bought the Cayin N8ii instead though. Curious what you think, especially with ZMFs - let us know!

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #2,173 of 2,414
Note the output voltage from Ferrum Wandla: 9.3V balanced, 4.65V unbalanced. More than 2x the 'norm' in each case !! Be certain that your amplifier can take that output. EDIT: or an attenuator is needed (more stuff in the chain 😒)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #2,174 of 2,414
As much as I want a TT2, I’m only seeing them around $4k at the least and I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a DAC (yet). I also have to wonder how much better the FPGA implementation of filter taps sounds than a fully digital implementation done through Roon or HQPlayer. It’s it really worth it for hardware implemented filter coefficients when software can give you more of them than the M-Scaler for cheaper?
I mean, I understand upgradeitis, but sometimes it's best to wait it out.

I'm doing that right now, as I'm in the market for a mega upgrade dac. Looking at a few options, doing research, asking questions, etc.

Not sure if I can link this or not, but here are a few for $3500. One silver, one black.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650033315-chord-tt2/

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650052355-chord-hugo-tt2/

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #2,175 of 2,414
I mean, I understand upgradeitis, but sometimes it's best to wait it out.

I'm doing that right now, as I'm in the market for a mega upgrade dac. Looking at a few options, doing research, asking questions, etc.

Not sure if I can link this or not, but here are a few for $3500. One silver, one black.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650033315-chord-tt2/

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650052355-chord-hugo-tt2/
In the market for a a mega upgrade DAC too, let me know what you land on! My main picks (mega upgrade compared to what I have now) are Holo May, Sonnet Pasithea, Mola Mola Tambaqui.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back