Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 16, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #7,126 of 7,161
The information above about A1 is not correct. There was a AKM DAC version and MultiBit Analog A1. They are different products.

It was sold as Gungnir Delta Sigma (AKM) and Gungnir Multibit. The original MultiBit became known as Analog A1 as the second Gungnir MultiBit version was never officially recognized and started with serial number B. The version without the extra clock had serial numbers starting with C.

The original DS and MultiBit started with USB version 2. Then upgraded to USB v5 (and they released the Eitr separate USB to Coax adapter) then Unison USB.

I have an original MultiBit that was upgraded to Unison when released. Also have the Eitr for gen 5 USB to coax.
Schiittalker failed again. 🤷‍♂️ Thanks for setting the record straight

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #7,128 of 7,161
That is normal operation.

JC

So I don't need to worry about it?

The old AirPort Express devices were said to trigger the light. Most modern gear won't trigger the light, so you won't really need to worry about it. I did have a vintage 1980's cd player that would trigger the clock repeatedly when it was paused. So I bought a better cd player, problem solved.

I don't use any Airport routers. The only thing connected to the DAC is my MacBook Pro via USB and my CD player via coax digital.

May 16, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #7,129 of 7,161
Here is the other sticker. Seems to have a low number. Does that mean anything?
It's a Multibit but I thinks its A1 . I dont think A2 really changed much anyway.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #7,130 of 7,161
The information above about A1 is not correct. There was a AKM DAC version and MultiBit Analog A1. They are different products.

It was sold as Gungnir Delta Sigma (AKM) and Gungnir Multibit. The original MultiBit became known as Analog A1 as the second Gungnir MultiBit version was never officially recognized and started with serial number B. The version without the extra clock had serial numbers starting with C.

The original DS and MultiBit started with USB version 2. Then upgraded to USB v5 (and they released the Eitr separate USB to Coax adapter) then Unison USB.

I have an original MultiBit that was upgraded to Unison when released. Also have the Eitr for gen 5 USB to coax.
I thought the AKM DS version serial started with a "C" ...
- serial "C" - AKM DS
- serial "06" - MB A1 rev
- serial "B" - MB A2 rev
- serial "L" - MB A2 rev w/o VXCO

There are supposedly a few "06" serials with a silent MB A2 rev, and then something referred to as "bleached", but without opening the chassis and looking at the boards it's difficult to say which fall into those categories (SBAF for details)...
And all bets are off once it gets sent back to the Mother-Schiit for upgrades
In my experience (macOS) Unison USB will present itself as "Unison USB" when connected to a computer, whereas Gen2/Gen3/Gen5 do not.

Sonically the difference between Gumby A1 vs A2 have been described as the inverse of Yggy A1 vs A2
- Gumby A1 presents with a fuller, more liquid smooth and organic stage
- Gumby A2 a bit more sharp/technical at the expense of some of the organic fullness in the mids

As always descriptions of sound are subjective and may vary with system synergy, etc, etc. :)

May 17, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #7,131 of 7,161
I thought the AKM DS version serial started with a "C" ...
- serial "C" - AKM DS
- serial "06" - MB A1 rev
- serial "B" - MB A2 rev
- serial "L" - MB A2 rev w/o VXCO

There are supposedly a few "06" serials with a silent MB A2 rev, and then something referred to as "bleached", but without opening the chassis and looking at the boards it's difficult to say which fall into those categories (SBAF for details)...
And all bets are off once it gets sent back to the Mother-Schiit for upgrades
In my experience (macOS) Unison USB will present itself as "Unison USB" when connected to a computer, whereas Gen2/Gen3/Gen5 do not.

Sonically the difference between Gumby A1 vs A2 have been described as the inverse of Yggy A1 vs A2
- Gumby A1 presents with a fuller, more liquid smooth and organic stage
- Gumby A2 a bit more sharp/technical at the expense of some of the organic fullness in the mids

As always descriptions of sound are subjective and may vary with system synergy, etc, etc. :)

I bought my Gumby within days of its release (Aug 20, 2015). Its serial number begins with C06, It is multibit, not AKM DS.

:beerchug:
JC

May 17, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #7,134 of 7,161
IMG_1602.jpeg

Interesting about SN’s… one day will take it apart and take a peak inside.

Confirmed with Schiit while back —‘A2 board, GEN 5 USB’.

May 17, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #7,135 of 7,161
IMG_1602.jpeg

Interesting about SN’s… one day will take it apart and take a peak inside.

Confirmed with Schiit while back —‘A2 board, GEN 5 USB’.
Given that we both have similar serial numbers on our Gumbys and same markings, I think mine is the same. 🙌

IMG_3575.jpeg

May 17, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #7,137 of 7,161
May 17, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #7,140 of 7,161
What do you guys think? Yggdrasil LiM w unison vs Gungnir MB A1 with usb5. Just bought the A1 and thinking about selling LiM and put some money back in the bank. So far A1 is holding up just fine with my listening so far.
Hard to beat Gumby with Gen5 USB, IMO. I'm in love with mine. But I've also never heard an Yggy yet. But my Bifrost 2/64 is close to a LIM Yggy jr, from every thing I've read. They share the same TI DAC8812chips. But Gumby steadily beats my Bifrost 2/64 in my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back