Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 17, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #7,141 of 7,161
Given that we both have similar serial numbers on our Gumbys and same markings, I think mine is the same. 🙌

IMG_3575.jpeg
Club Gumby C061xxx FTW! Ever take the case off to confirm or you're orginal owner? Thinking mine got passed along 4 times till finding it's forever home.

What do you guys think? Yggdrasil LiM w unison vs Gungnir MB A1 with usb5. Just bought the A1 and thinking about selling LiM and putting some money back in the bank. So far A1 is holding up just fine with my listening so far.
IMO seems like A1 Gumby are scarce & rare to come by... at first I was little bummbed out only GEN5 and could've waited couple months till UNISON one came on the used market. Having GEN 5 IMO is a leg up, if fails- send it in, get UNISON installed and enjoy 2 year reactivated warranty.

DAC journey has been iFi 'ZEN SIG V2' > Schiit 'MODI MB2' > Musician Audio 'Pegasus I' (Great contender but decided 'Gungnir' stays) > Musician Audio 'Draco' (curiosity...) > MHDT Lab 'Istanbul'(desktop DAC but both get switched out time to time in the home Hi-Fi rig. End game keepers, 'Gungnir' & 'Istanbul'! The DAC rabbit hole has been closed, for now... 🤣

May 17, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #7,142 of 7,161
What do you guys think? Yggdrasil LiM w unison vs Gungnir MB A1 with usb5. Just bought the A1 and thinking about selling LiM and putting some money back in the bank. So far A1 is holding up just fine with my listening so far.
The more I listen to my Gumby (via a VERY good optical cable) with either headphones or two-channel, the more it impresses me.

The two-channel setup is arguably a “budget reference system”, yet the Gumby never seems outmatched.

May 17, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #7,143 of 7,161
Club Gumby C061xxx FTW! Ever take the case off to confirm or you're orginal owner? Thinking mine got passed along 4 times till finding it's forever home.
🔥🔥🔥

I’m the second owner… what would be the main reason for taking the case off? To confirm it wasn’t an upgraded DS unit?

May 17, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #7,144 of 7,161
IMG_1602.jpeg

Interesting about SN’s… one day will take it apart and take a peak inside.

Confirmed with Schiit while back —‘A2 board, GEN 5 USB’.

I had to look up the amp you have in the photo. Looks pretty sweet. But certainly quite pricy for me at this time.

May 17, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #7,145 of 7,161
The more I listen to my Gumby (via a VERY good optical cable) with either headphones or two-channel, the more it impresses me.

The two-channel setup is arguably a “budget reference system”, yet the Gumby never seems outmatched.
What optical cable are you using? Glass? I just hooked up a decent optical cable from my cd player to Gumby and actually thought it sounded better than coax out. Maybe I'm crazy.
I kept cycling from coax to optical and back. Each time, it sounded like optical was slightly better. 🤷‍♂️

May 17, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #7,146 of 7,161
What optical cable are you using? Glass? I just hooked up a decent optical cable from my cd player to Gumby and actually thought it sounded better than coax out. Maybe I'm crazy.
I kept cycling from coax to optical and back. Each time, it sounded like optical was slightly better. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I’m using a DH Glass Master. Excellent cable- a little stiff, but not challenging to route/use, and very well-built.

The DH Labs was a consensus fave anmong reviewers along with a medical-grade (Lifa brand? I’d need to check) glass optical cable.

The DH Labs is available at The Cable Company if you’re in the U.S. Great company with excellent service and fair prices.

May 17, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #7,147 of 7,161
🔥🔥🔥

I’m the second owner… what would be the main reason for taking the case off? To confirm it wasn’t an upgraded DS unit?
Curiosity, A1/A2 board, USB version. Thought of it but reading instructions from others how to I decided to pass, 'her beautiful, rich tone and innate musicality' soothes.

I had to look up the amp you have in the photo. Looks pretty sweet. But certainly quite pricy for me at this time.
'Billie MK2' is a beauty Canadian boutique made integrated amplifier. Maybe one day i'll pass along a good deal to yourself being both Canadian. Been wanting to try 'Freya+' & Mono block 'Vidar 2' combo in time, KLH 'Model 5' are a power hungry speaker and I do love playing at concert level volume. 😅

May 17, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #7,148 of 7,161
Is there a way to reset the Gungnir to get the proper reclocking?

May 17, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #7,149 of 7,161
Curiosity, A1/A2 board, USB version. Thought of it but reading instructions from others how to I decided to pass, 'her beautiful, rich tone and innate musicality' soothes.

'Billie MK2' is a beauty Canadian boutique made integrated amplifier. Maybe one day i'll pass along a good deal to yourself being both Canadian. Been wanting to try 'Freya+' & Mono block 'Vidar 2' combo in time, KLH 'Model 5' are a power hungry speaker and I do love playing at concert level volume. 😅

I have long wanted to try a KLH Model 5 as well.

May 17, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #7,150 of 7,161
I have long wanted to try a KLH Model 5 as well.
3 Way monster of a speaker, once paired with a sub it's a winning combo.

'Model 7' are ones most intrigued by... not much listed about them but 'Altitudo Audio' in Winnipeg shows having in stock, tough to believe...

May 17, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #7,151 of 7,161
Thanks for clarifying! Maybe one day curiosity will get the best of me (or I’ll just email Schiit support and ask), but in the meantime I’ll just enjoy the lush, rich sound. 🥰
I recently added a Wyred 4 Sound preamp to my active tower speakers (ATCs)- very transparent and actually tube-like (!).

if you like concert-level sound, active units are the ticket. Then you have well-matched amplification that can drive the speakers pretty perfectly… 😁 Highly recommended!

May 17, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #7,152 of 7,161
Sonically the difference between Gumby A1 vs A2 have been described as the inverse of Yggy A1 vs A2
- Gumby A1 presents with a fuller, more liquid smooth and organic stage
- Gumby A2 a bit more sharp/technical at the expense of some of the organic fullness in the mids
I don't know about comparisons to other versions, DACs. The Gumby I had, bought new in May 2017, definitely matched the first description above.
It's a cognac DAC compared to all those brandy DACs :)

May 17, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #7,153 of 7,161
Hard to beat Gumby with Gen5 USB, IMO. I'm in love with mine. But I've also never heard an Yggy yet. But my Bifrost 2/64 is close to a LIM Yggy jr, from every thing I've read. They share the same TI DAC8812chips. But Gumby steadily beats my Bifrost 2/64 in my system.
I may be picking up a Holo Cyan 2 soon, and will be really curious to hear it compared with my Unison A2 Gumby. From what I hear, the Cyan 2 is as neutral and natural as they come in terms of R2R DACs, but I can’t imagine how I wouldn’t miss the Gumby’s personality. The bass slam, the way the vocals “pop,” and the expansive stage are so enjoyable. If it’s a trade for all that with some added resolution and smoothness, I’m honestly not sure which one I’d pick. Stay tuned…

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #7,154 of 7,161
Ever take the case off to confirm...?

For anyone who is tempted to do this, just remember that it will be nearly impossible to get all 5 of the LEDs back into perfect alignment so that they poke through the tiny holes on the front cover.

A while back, I foolishly decided to take the cover off my Gumby to verify which version I had. And let me tell you, it was a literal miracle that I was able to get all 5 LEDs back into place (and only after around 30 minutes of very carefully positioning/repositioning each LED). It was not fun. :expressionless:

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #7,155 of 7,161
Depends on how much more we talking about. There is NO doubt in my mind that a used $700~ Gungnir MB is a better bargain while being sufficiently good compared to the $1600+~ you can get out of the LiM. I wouldnt go lower than a Gumby though.
For me personally I want that extra 10-15% Yggy gives me over Gumby but I fully admit I'm a bit neurotic about this stuff. With Yggy OG I don't feel tempted by the next tier gear anymore though. If you can get by with a Gumby then by all means pocket the $800-1000 and spend that on some other gear or something else fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back