Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 6, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #15,992 of 16,028
Thank you, I tested it and it works perfectly. The ps5 sends 7.1 up miwx in 13.1 auromatic with omega 96. OMG on call of duty it's incredible sound precision:)
It is truly amazing right!? Auro is my favorite for gaming

May 6, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #15,993 of 16,028
Hey!

I'm wondering whether anyone else is still having the "terrible buzz" problem with their Realisers.

I've had the problem off and on with one of mine (I have two. I know, I know.. spoiled). It used to happen occasionally (sometimes a few hours between occurrences, sometimes a few weeks). I recently sent it back to Smyth Research to be repaired. It's not clear whether they actually did anything before sending it back. What's worse, though, is that the problem seems to have been made worse by the process. It now does "the buzz" about once an hour on average.

It's my understanding that some others were having the same problem (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/post-15207099) but may not be anymore.

At this point, I'm trying to get a sense of how common this still is and whether anything seems to have worked for others to prevent it.

I'm also working to get a recording of the issue to share with Smyth Research, which should actually be pretty easy now that it happens so often.
Hi guy,

Personally I have never heard this kind of crackling sound with my A16.

A solution may be for you: I don't go through Jack A to listen to the sound. I go through the coaxial output which is connected to a Fiio k9. I then connect my hd 800S to my Fiio in 4.4.
This way I relieve the A16 and prevent it from amplifying the headphones...

Using another audio output may be a good solution to your problem.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #15,995 of 16,028
I'm going ahead and attaching the recording.

Please note that the music you'll hear a few seconds of was selected to be usable royalty-free and is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike:

I had a crackle in the sound output especially at higher volumes, even present with the internal test music (the test button on the remote) and for that I had to send the unit back to the UK for a "solder fix". It was not abrupt like yours but if you are able to repeat your issue with the test pattern, I suspect you're going to have to send it back.

May 6, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #15,996 of 16,028
I'm ashamed of using it on call of duty, I feel like I'm using a cheat. I know exactly where the enemies are :L3000:
So Auro 3D is a hack that games the system. And I assume that your opponent doesn’t know that you’re using Auro 3D. I suppose that it would be funny except for the fact that it’s not funny.

May 6, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #15,997 of 16,028
Hi guy,

A solution may be for you: I don't go through Jack A to listen to the sound. I go through the coaxial output which is connected to a Fiio k9. I then connect my hd 800S to my Fiio in 4.4.

Trying either the coax or optical S/PDIF output - most AVRs or audio amplifiers will have one or both types of inputs - would definitely help narrow down the source of the problem within the A16.

May 6, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #16,000 of 16,028
So it's legal but is it ethical? Is it part of standard gaming etiquette for a player to notify an opponent that Auro 3D is being used? Mind you, I'm not a gamer so the answer either way doesn't affect me.
If the game has Atmos or some multichannel setting, then there is no saying what a player will use to output the audio. Some guy might be in his man cave with a magnificent multichannel speaker system.
I understand the philosophy of wanting a fair game, but that never existed in the first place, Ping, FPS, screen calibration, even the debilitating attempts at crossplay between consoles and PCs. Someone will always have some massive advantage over someone else. Life is unfair.

May 6, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #16,001 of 16,028
I had a crackle in the sound output especially at higher volumes, even present with the internal test music (the test button on the remote) and for that I had to send the unit back to the UK for a "solder fix". It was not abrupt like yours but if you are able to repeat your issue with the test pattern, I suspect you're going to have to send it back.
Ah! So that's the thing: I'm having these issues after having sent it back for repair. The issue used to happen occasionally every few hours (unlucky) to every few weeks (lucky). Now that I've gotten it back, it's more like every few minutes (unlucky) to an hour (lucky).

That's a great experiment with the internal test music, I'll definitely try it.

Hi guy,

Trying either the coax or optical S/PDIF output - most AVRs or audio amplifiers will have one or both types of inputs - would definitely help narrow down the source of the problem within the A16.

Here are some things I've tried so far (either before or after getting it back from shipping):
* Listening on both amplified outputs A and B
* Listening through an external DAC and amp, connected via optical S/PDIF
* Using different HDMI input ports
* Using optical S/PDIF in
* Using different HDMI inputs
* Toggling on and off 24 channel single user mode

So far: The issue happens in all of these configurations.

So far, it sounds like no one else has had quite my issue, so it may just be a pure support issue between myself and Smyth Research (unless someone else chimes in here).

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #16,002 of 16,028
Ah! So that's the thing: I'm having these issues after having sent it back for repair. The issue used to happen occasionally every few hours (unlucky) to every few weeks (lucky). Now that I've gotten it back, it's more like every few minutes (unlucky) to an hour (lucky).

That's a great experiment with the internal test music, I'll definitely try it.

Here are some things I've tried so far (either before or after getting it back from shipping):
* Listening on both amplified outputs A and B
* Listening through an external DAC and amp, connected via optical S/PDIF
* Using different HDMI input ports
* Using optical S/PDIF in
* Using different HDMI inputs
* Toggling on and off 24 channel single user mode

So far: The issue happens in all of these configurations.

So far, it sounds like no one else has had quite my issue, so it may just be a pure support issue between myself and Smyth Research (unless someone else chimes in here).
Sounds like a botched or an incomplete repair then. I don't think there's an issue with their design but they clearly don't test all units after assembly or even if they do it's superficial at best. Unfortunately I think you'll have to send it back again. Try the test pattern though as that should make it obvious to James that there is an issue. If it's rare, do a recording.

May 6, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #16,003 of 16,028
If the game has Atmos or some multichannel setting, then there is no saying what a player will use to output the audio. Some guy might be in his man cave with a magnificent multichannel speaker system.
I understand the philosophy of wanting a fair game, but that never existed in the first place, Ping, FPS, screen calibration, even the debilitating attempts at crossplay between consoles and PCs. Someone will always have some massive advantage over someone else. Life is unfair.
I totally get it.

May 6, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #16,004 of 16,028
Sounds like a botched or an incomplete repair then. I don't think there's an issue with their design but they clearly don't test all units after assembly or even if they do it's superficial at best. Unfortunately I think you'll have to send it back again. Try the test pattern though as that should make it obvious to James that there is an issue. If it's rare, do a recording.
Yep, it happened to take less than five minutes to reproduce on the test pattern.

May 6, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #16,005 of 16,028
Yep, it happened to take less than five minutes to reproduce on the test pattern.
Ouch. So sorry to hear this.

My brand new A16 last June lasted 4 days before a red screen of death occurred and I had to send it back for a solder repair.

They really need to address QC issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back