Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Sep 29, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #2,881 of 2,945
For me, they really did lack detail. On certain tracks they just sounded out of whack to me... dull. Too smooth. Unlike anything I've heard other than my single DD Ety ER2 - for me it was just an enahnced version of this. I mean, smooth is nice, but in some music there actually is roughness... in voices, sounds, and I just wasn't hearing it. I do think it's a DD / BA thing. I also prefer the ER4 (which is BA) to the ER2. Anyway what's funny is that although I'm saying that for me the treble was a bit dulled out, I did hear a certain peak occasionally that I found irritating. Not sibilance, something else... I'm not expert enough to identify it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was picking up your 5k peak.

The form factor is incredible though, so small and light. And the cord was good and comfortable. Great for grab and go, could throw them around a little bit... maybe just pocket them and throw them on while getting on a bike, whatever... wouldn't have to be babied like the much more delicate feeling larger shells and connectors of the u12t and Monarchs.

One other thing about the Xelento - on some tracks I felt like the voice of the singer was like literally in each ear. Not outside in some kind of nice sphere around my head, or a few rows in front of me on a stage, etc..... but rather as if the music was happening right on/in the ears. I can see how some might be into it but I found it almost jarring. Maybe something one could get used to.
Nice write up, you described this peak well- as indescribable :relaxed: Its strange indeed, like its not a typical sibilance or sharpness but rather thin, annoying ringing.

When it comes to the detail as every nuance which is recorded, i can hear every little detail as on the u12t or the Monarch 2 but put in a more laid back manner. They for sure lack texture and texture is something which for many is included under the term of "detail".

The stage you described similarly as i hear on them but to me they sound more grand and bigger than the u12t. The u12t puts you in a big room, the X2 present more a big wall of sound but the vocals arent as distant as on the u12t. Everything seems closer but also bigger and wide, at least to me.

Anyways, im still keeping the u12t as they are overall less problematic for me. But still kuddos to Beyerdynamic for making such a great upgrade to the Xelentos OG.

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #2,882 of 2,945
Nice write up, you described this peak well- as indescribable :relaxed: Its strange indeed, like its not a typical sibilance or sharpness but rather thin, annoying ringing.

When it comes to the detail as every nuance which is recorded, i can hear every little detail as on the u12t or the Monarch 2 but put in a more laid back manner. They for sure lack texture and texture is something which for many is included under the term of "detail".

The stage you described similarly as i hear on them but to me they sound more grand and bigger than the u12t. The u12t puts you in a big room, the X2 present more a big wall of sound but the vocals arent as distant as on the u12t. Everything seems closer but also bigger and wide, at least to me.

Anyways, im still keeping the u12t as they are overall less problematic for me. But still kuddos to Beyerdynamic for making such a great upgrade to the Xelentos OG.

Cool, and also nice write up. Yeah it is a strange sound. It just seems to poke through sometimes. Almost like a ring/squeak.

I understand what you mean about detail/texture... absolutely "texture" does describe what I mean. For me I'd also call it "crispness".

Here's an example. I'm pretty sure this is one of the tracks I checked out (but an excellent sounding FLAC file) when I was testing yesterday.

You hear that sound in the background, it sounds like an electronic snare, that becomes more prominent around :35?

I'm mean sure, it was there, but it lacked texture (what I was calling detail) and sounded muted, and that really hurt the song as it's absolutely essential as a crispy contrast to that huge bass. Really, I suppose that this is something inherent to DD-only phones that I am noticing and I do get why they may not be recommended by some for electronic music. I need more of an all rounder than that I think, I don't only listen to electronic but it's a big part of my collection. I can't imagine that something like Boards of Canada (absolutely super group) that rely so much on atmosphere and texture would fare that well with them. That said, sure on some tracks they sounded very good, and for sure I can see why they would suit some people tastes. Also again the form factor is phenomenal.

Glad you are keeping the u12t. :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #2,883 of 2,945
Just tried the Sony Z1R. I'm fortunate that I did not find any discomfort using it, but unfortunately I prefer the monarchs. I find the bass a bit too much that it's drowning out tiny details but I'd say sound wise it's an overall upgrade from the Xelento.

I tried both monarch mk2 and mk3. I prefer the mk2 because I find the mk3 too bright for some tracks. I do like the mk3 cables better though. I snagged a used mk2 at the store for $660USD (converted).

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2,884 of 2,945
Just tried the Sony Z1R. I'm fortunate that I did not find any discomfort using it, but unfortunately I prefer the monarchs. I find the bass a bit too much that it's drowning out tiny details but I'd say sound wise it's an overall upgrade from the Xelento.

I tried both monarch mk2 and mk3. I prefer the mk2 because I find the mk3 too bright for some tracks. I do like the mk3 cables better though. I snagged a used mk2 at the store for $660USD (converted).

Totally agree about the Z1R.

Nice, did you get it at e-earphone? If so, was the extended warranty we discussed available for it, being that it's a used earphone?

Oct 12, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #2,886 of 2,945
Thought about selling my Xelento, but it's just way more comfortable and portable compared to the monarch mk2 so I will keep it. Also I'm using Xelento eartips on my mk2. Found it to be better fit lol luckily I have 2 sets of eartips. Had to return for warranty and they only wanted the earbuds.

Oct 18, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #2,888 of 2,945
Short impressions as i dont like to write an extended reviews:

1. Stage.
The u12t seem very very slightly wider and deeper but not by much really. All this is getting burried by cohesion and timbre.

2. Dynamics.
The Xelentos are slightly more dynamic and "alive" with more pronounced differences between lower and higher pitched notes.

3. Bass.
No comparison. The Xelento 2 are going definitely deeper and are more euphonic down low. U12t seem slightly anemic in this area.

4. Mids.
Quite similar i would say. Both arent too into my face but not too distant either. There is some intimate feeling with both but there is bit more intimacy with the Xelento (not by much).

3. Trebles
HERE is the area where im mostly surprised.
The u12t seem to have holes in upper midrange and trebles. I can sense some unevenness, especially when playing the music louder. Slight harshness i would call it.
The Xelentos 2 are buttery smooth. There is a very very slight peek around 8k (maybe?) but so minor that i dont pay any attenion to it. It doesnt interfere in any replay, no matter if its jazz or k-pop.

4. Detail.
Wow. The Xelentos seem even slightly more revieling but keeping every detail at bay, so there is no any artificial "detail" boost or anything like that. Its just an effortless, smooth detail in the beckground. The u12t arent as even up on top, so there are some unevenness. There is some harshness here.

5. Layering.
U12t wins here. There is more noticeable "space" between vocals/instruments that play closer/further on a stage but the Xelentos do this quite nicely too. The Xelentos are more fluid when it comes to the note cohesion.

6. Timbre.
Xelentos all the way. Single DD seems to blend everything more naturally, with more fluidity. The u12t seem more mechanic here.

The Xelento 2 sound like a dream, the u12t are going for sale. Im actually shocked!
I had a very similar impression to yours with my previously Xelento V1 and U12T. The Xelento retrieves more details, has smoother trebles, deeper bass, a bigger and more focused midrange, and more precise positional cues. However, in my opinion, the Xelento has a wider soundstage but lacks depth compared to the U12T. Overall, the Xelento V1 offers exceptional value for its sound quality.

Based on your impression, it seems that the V2 isn't significantly different from the V1, so the price-to-performance ratio might still be very favorable.

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #2,889 of 2,945
I had a very similar impression to yours with my previously Xelento V1 and U12T. The Xelento retrieves more details, has smoother trebles, deeper bass, a bigger and more focused midrange, and more precise positional cues. However, in my opinion, the Xelento has a wider soundstage but lacks depth compared to the U12T. Overall, the Xelento V1 offers exceptional value for its sound quality.

Based on your impression, it seems that the V2 isn't significantly different from the V1, so the price-to-performance ratio might still be very favorable.
I have X1 and to me they dont really compete with the u12t. They are still very good but the tuinng is too funky on top so it sounds thin and harsh at times. They are just too V shaped.
The X2 is way better and it competes with the u12t but i sent it back because of a strange peak at 5k which really bothered me. Its subtle but it caused ringing in my right ear.
I now enjoy the Softears Twilight for a couple days and they are definitely the best single DD ive ever heard and actually one of the best iems ive head/heard. They are on a level of Monarch 2 and u12t but with even more realistic, engaging, natural and smooth timbre and tuning. I fell like im in a concert with every song.
Their bass has less quantity than the Xelento 2 but is more physical and punchy. The stage is real- open, very wide, with no boundaries.

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #2,890 of 2,945
Thank you very much for all your answers!

The Xelentos are a present for my father's birthday, whose 72 years old ears (plenty of hi-fi experiences: these iems are my devolution for inoculating on me this expensive neurosis about soundstages and timbres) really need that resonance emphasis and peaks. I conclude that the mmcx plugs must be as small as possible and that it will be better to wait first to see how much he enjoys his classical and jazz recordings through the SE output. If he misses something, i've taken note of all your recommendations.

In any case i'll try one day with him my silver Alo Audio balanced cable (from my Atlas, in fact i'm very interested in comparing them), which has a tiny connector, and then we'll see if that combination results comfortable and provides any kind of positive change in sound.

Meanwhile, i wish you all a day full of surprise massages.
I found that the ALO silver litz cable 4.4mm did not seat well with the xelento Gen2 mmcx. What say you? thanks

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #2,892 of 2,945
Got my Xelento Remote Gen 2 today. Had the first version some years back, ended up selling it because even though it sounded positively magical in some tracks, in others the bass made the songs a bit too aggressive. Bought the Meze Rai Penta afterwards, hated it. Sounded sterile and made music listening an experience void of emotion. Sent it back and got the JVC FW10000, that I love and have kept since then.

But... the Xelento memories have stayed with me all this time and so I deciced to bite the bullet and get the gen 2, given all the reviews and opinions I have read seemingly indicate that what I disliked about the first version should now be corrected.

Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #2,893 of 2,945
Got my Xelento Remote Gen 2 today. Had the first version some years back, ended up selling it because even though it sounded positively magical in some tracks, in other the bass made the songs a bit too aggressive. Bought the Meze Rai Penta afterwards, hated it. Sounded sterile and made music listening an experience void of emotion. Sent it back and got the JVC FW10000, that I love and have kept since then.

But... the Xelento memories have stayed with me all this time and so I deciced to bite the bullet and get the gen 2, given all the reviews and opinions I have read seemingly indicate that what I disliked about the first version should now be corrected.

Fingers crossed 🤞🏼
Very interesting. I’ve been tempted by the Rai Penta for a while to see if they could bring me better sound than my Xelento gen1 but your comments are making me reconsider this strategy! haha. I have the Meze Empyrean and always thought the Rai Penta were similar sounding, I would not rate the Empyrean as void of emotion!

Aside from that I'll be interested to read your comments once the Gen 2 have been running a bit, also from memory what you think versus the Gen1.

Have fun. :beerchug:

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #2,894 of 2,945
Gen 1 and Gen 2 are two completely different iems. The gen 2 is definitely more balanced, less V shaped and has bigger, wider soundstage. The bass is better controlled, the mids are fuller and the trebles are less intrusive. I compared them extensively for over 2 weeks as I still have the gen 1 for over 3 years now.
In the end i ended up with the Softears Twilight but really liked the gen 2 Xelento.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back