Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
May 2, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #1,081 of 1,254
That's cool too! IEMs are super personal, we all hear different, and I saw you used different tips than me (I usually use type-e tips) so that could also be a small part of it too. Seems like you're enjoying them, and that's all that really matters anyway. :)
for sure! i was just really suprised yours were warm.
I will check those out - i ran through every stock option and did use the silicons for a bit.
I would actually say that these Foam tips i got warmed it up a bit, which my set needed bad.

May 2, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #1,083 of 1,254
Devices that won’t hiss with Andromeda.

I have 2020 Solaris which are my closest comparison.

Gryphon will hiss out off both 3.5mm and 4.4mm, worse from 4.4mm obviously, not horrifically so but its there.

Go Bar is worse.

IEMatch in no variant has an output impedance of around 10 ohms, in fact the 3.5mm on one setting is only 1 ohm, not the lowest going but not bad. Oddly iFi indicate that the IEMatch should not be used with IEM below 12.5 ohms, must be to do with the role the IEM plays within the completed circuit.

My FiiO M11 Plus has faintly audible hiss from the 4.4mm but not from the 3.5mm. The FiiO isn’t the last word in ultra refinement but I would think it was in the list of devices less likely to have audible hiss.

May 2, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #1,084 of 1,254
I am seriously tempted by the Black Star. How is the fit? Is it heavy? I am not super-sensitive, but given its price I am concerned about its fit and comfort. I would like to match it with a reasonable DAP, so recommendations are more than welcome.
It's heavier than others but not uncomfortable in any way. That's to be expected with a stainless shell. I've fallen asleep in my chair with them in more than once. Ara and Bonneville are lighter though. I must have average shaped ears because Bonneville fits great. Black Star was a limited but you might be able to find a used set or a hold out at some retailer.

May 2, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #1,085 of 1,254
Devices that won’t hiss with Andromeda.

I have 2020 Solaris which are my closest comparison.

Gryphon will hiss out off both 3.5mm and 4.4mm, worse from 4.4mm obviously, not horrifically so but its there.

Go Bar is worse.

IEMatch in no variant has an output impedance of around 10 ohms, in fact the 3.5mm on one setting is only 1 ohm, not the lowest going but not bad. Oddly iFi indicate that the IEMatch should not be used with IEM below 12.5 ohms, must be to do with the role the IEM plays within the completed circuit.

My FiiO M11 Plus has faintly audible hiss from the 4.4mm but not from the 3.5mm. The FiiO isn’t the last word in ultra refinement but I would think it was in the list of devices less likely to have audible hiss.
Just looked. It's a 16Ohm mismatch termination down to 2.5 and 1 Ohm OI at the IEM side. All sensitive IEM's you would buy for it for are below 12.5 🤣

May 2, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #1,086 of 1,254
Andromeda Gold would be a better U12T alternative

Same - they are actually tuned pretty darn flat in the grand scheme. Very reference. The Andro Gold is the 'V' shaped version of the Ara (IMO)
why i have one on both accounts :wink:

May 2, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #1,087 of 1,254
My SP2000 doesn't hiss with Andromeda CK while playing the quietest background in classical tracks but does have a very faint waterfall hiss when not playing anything. SP3000 is even quieter for Andromeda

May 2, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #1,088 of 1,254
Just looked. It's a 16Ohm mismatch termination down to 2.5 and 1 Ohm OI at the IEM side. All sensitive IEM's you would buy for it for are below 12.5 🤣

Not sure what is funny, I was just providing the specs for accuracy, big difference between 10 ohms and 1 ohm regardless of the IEM impedance.

Solaris are sensitive enough to consider the IEMatch and they are over 12.5 ohms.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #1,089 of 1,254
Not sure what is funny, I was just providing the specs for accuracy, big difference between 10 ohms and 1 ohm regardless of the IEM impedance.

Solaris are sensitive enough to consider the IEMatch and they are over 12.5 ohms.
does it have to be an android DAP?

Those devices will never achieve the shielding separation of power and processing until you are into 2500+ units as far as i can tell. That is USD. Even then, you may find your self dissapointed, If you can hear all that.

May 2, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #1,090 of 1,254
does it have to be an android DAP?

Those devices will never achieve the shielding separation of power and processing until you are into 2500+ units as far as i can tell. That is USD. Even then, you may find your self dissapointed, If you can hear all that.

Not sure if that was directed at me in error or I am just missing the question.

I gave a bit of personal experience with an IEM vaguely comparable on gear I have that might help selecting something that doesn't hiss, I don't have experience with $2,500 plus DAPs nor any interest.

May 2, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #1,091 of 1,254
Not sure if that was directed at me in error or I am just missing the question.

I gave a bit of personal experience with an IEM vaguely comparable on gear I have that might help selecting something that doesn't hiss, I don't have experience with $2,500 plus DAPs nor any interest.
no, apologies - i must be reading this wrong. There was a question of Daps to run the low imp iems and i think i miss read where i was in the conversation.

I would also like to throw out my dream campfire IEM idea.
I would love a copper shell, or bronze(?) with a custom signle warm tuned DD that had the bass and mid slope like the ara, at a raised level then the highs about where they are. Made in the states.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #1,092 of 1,254

Solaris SE/OG/LE are 10 Ohms. Only 2020 is 15.5
Stellar Horizon are 4.4 Ohms.
Andromeda are 12.8.
Trifecta are 6.3
BS are 9
Ara are 8.5.
Emerald Sea are 6.375.

I can regurgitate stats too.

What's funny is the disclaimer is antithetical to its applied use; highly sensitive low impedance IEMS.

May 2, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #1,093 of 1,254
Solaris SE/OG/LE are 10 Ohms. Only 2020 is 15.5
Stellar Horizon are 4.4 Ohms.
Andromeda are 12.8.
Trifecta are 6.3
BS are 9
Ara are 8.5.
Emerald Sea are 6.375.

I can regurgitate stats too.

What's funny is the disclaimer is antithetical to its applied use; highly sensitive low impedance IEMS.

I am not sure why you feel the need to debate, I was giving specs that might help the chaps query, not regurgitating specs as you put it.

You had one very important spec wildly wrong which I corrected because it might help him, frankly it was so wildly wrong might have just been a typo for all I know, either way I wanted the guy to have the right information because being out by a factor of 10 seems worth correcting to me.

Sure this is the Campfire thread but it is the use of IEMatch that was being commented on and the specs that go with that and there are plenty of other highly sensitive IEM that are over the 12.5 ohm impedance minimum recommendation. An IEM doesn't need to be low impedance to get hiss, high sensitivity and more conventional impedance of say 16 ohms or more will pick up hiss badly also.

Low impedance isn't a prerequisite to picking up hiss either, I have 10 (all) BA set that are 5 ohms and fairly normal sensitivity that pick up very much less hiss then the higher sensitivity and higher impedance Solaris.

Hopefully you don't see anything worth debating here, that isn't my intention.

May 2, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #1,094 of 1,254
I am not sure why you feel the need to debate, I was giving specs that might help the chaps query, not regurgitating specs as you put it.

You had one very important spec wildly wrong which I corrected because it might help him, frankly it was so wildly wrong might have just been a typo for all I know, either way I wanted the guy to have the right information because being out by a factor of 10 seems worth correcting to me.

Sure this is the Campfire thread but it is the use of IEMatch that was being commented on and the specs that go with that and there are plenty of other highly sensitive IEM that are over the 12.5 ohm impedance minimum recommendation. An IEM doesn't need to be low impedance to get hiss, high sensitivity and more conventional impedance of say 16 ohms or more will pick up hiss badly also.

Low impedance isn't a prerequisite to picking up hiss either, I have 10 (all) BA set that are 5 ohms and fairly normal sensitivity that pick up very much less hiss then the higher sensitivity and higher impedance Solaris.

Hopefully you don't see anything worth debating here, that isn't my intention.
I'm not the one being passive aggressive with "not sure what is funny".
I was wrong about the workings of the unit being a termination mismatch not a feed through presenting the same Z at both terminations.

Then I found it funny that the company itself recommends not paring their own device to solve hiss with low impedance units. Turns out, many HIGH sensitivity (prone to hiss) units are also LOW impedance.

Good day.

May 2, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #1,095 of 1,254
I'm not the one being passive aggressive with "not sure what is funny".
I was wrong about the workings of the unit being a termination mismatch not a feed through presenting the same Z at both terminations.

Then I found it funny that the company itself recommends not paring their own device to solve hiss with low impedance units. Turns out, many HIGH sensitivity (prone to hiss) units are also LOW impedance.

Good day.

No passive aggression on my end at all, seems like we have mistaken each others intent with written word and emojis not face to face.

All good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back