CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #421 of 707
Could you expand on why you prefer Magna to Immanis? I ask because I have Immanis on pre-order.

They are both quite good. AND I heard the Magna through the new transformer+stand thing they had whereas the Immanis was on their big tube amp. ... The Magna just sounded decidedly more energetic and clear while the Immanis was definitely much warmer and gooeyer. This is probably more of the tube amp's doing, but Dan said he also preferred the Magna. I should have tried them on the same interface.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #422 of 707
I think they could easily implement a quiet room that isn’t as large as the mainhall. Maybe just have some of the respective flagships from a few vendors. Maybe day 1 has some of them and day 2 has other vendors.
Side rooms were supposed to be "quiet" rooms but those are also loud af, especially if popular vendors are using them. ZMF room was super loud, which rendered it near impossible to properly audition any open back headphones unless you get there at 10AM, but you'll only have about an hour before the crowd comes and ruins the somewhat quiet environment. I couldn't even properly demo Caldera closed back in the ZMF room.

Yes, proper quiet rooms would be great but then you'd have to have exhibitors who are strict and tell people to quiet down, which I don't think most vendors are willing to do.
I think, they care for two reasons. 1, They are nice people. 2, Vendors and manufacturers sponsor Head-Fi. If potential buyers are unable to properly audition new gear, they won't buy. If there are not enough sales, vendors won't attend CanJams and will withdraw from sponsoring Head-Fi or reduce their contributions. Simple as that.
LOL wishful thinking, friend. Not trying to be pessimistic but I'd be surprised if they actually cared and made changes for next year.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #423 of 707
Of course! The unique design drew me to them and like I said the sound was incredible especially at that price. My BF was very interested in getting those as his first planar and I got Jeffrey's (the owner's) number from Blaine at headphones.com. He called right as we were leaving, he was on his way to the airport. We had a nice chat about him and his headphones, sounded like a swell guy, crazy that he's only 21. Genuinely refreshing to see that in the industry. Hopefully more people got to try them!

Jeffrey is super chill and approachable. Also glad to see some coverage as I know a few other people in one of the other SJY threads was asking for impressions. Love the entire post though!

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #424 of 707
LOL wishful thinking, friend. Not trying to be pessimistic but I'd be surprised if they actually cared and made changes for next year.
There isn't an awful lot they can do. Nobody will ask people to keep quiet. Everyone ignores signs. Instead of costly quiet rooms perhaps a 'social hub' would be easier to create. That would also give people a hint. Try to be a bit more positive and optimistic. And/or perhaps constructive? :wink:

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #425 of 707
Me: Remember those iems I loved at CanJam?

Wife: Yeah...

Me: I bought them.

Wife: I knew it... how much?

Me: Under $2000?

Wife: That's not so bad.

WE WON, GUYS!!!
What were the items? Inquiring minds want to know how to not get in trouble with the significant other and the wives.

Edit: Significant other, the wives of other men at CanJam. Sorry for the edit lads. Just want to clarify. Hope you understand.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #426 of 707
There isn't an awful lot they can do. Nobody will ask people to keep quiet. Everyone ignores signs. Instead of costly quiet rooms perhaps a 'social hub' would be easier to create. That would also give people a hint. Try to be a bit more positive and optimistic. And/or perhaps constructive? :wink:
I have been trying to be constructive and positive in here, but when staff and regular CJ goers come in here, ignore people's criticisms about the noise at this year's CJ NYC, pretending like "Everything was great! Better than great! Best CJ ever! You just didn't do it right at CJ! LOL" Can't help but become a bit pessimistic and jaded.

Also, you're telling me everyone will ignore signs, but how do you know that? Aren't you being pessimistic here? People usually don't ignore signs if they're logical and the right thing to do.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed CanJam but if I didn't get there early on both days and if there were no IEMs to demo, I would've been very, very disappointed. Because trying to audition headphones is out of the question, especially after 11AM-12PM.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #427 of 707
What were the items? Inquiring minds want to know how to not get in trouble with the significant other and the wives.

Campfire Trifecta, but it's actually up in the air now. :sweat:

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #428 of 707
Some shows have listening time limits. The problem I see is when people take a seat and stay there for 15 minutes without regard to how many people are behind them.

They could keep the room limited to a certain capacity and only let people in when others leave. That would create a rather large waiting queue. Aperio had a private listening booth. That always had a long queue and was a creative idea. They did not do it this show. I think people have adjusted over time by recognizing the limits of a show floor and implemented many of the ideas that I have expressed earlier to accommodate the listening limitations of the venue.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #429 of 707
Sadly, I don't think head-fi staff and CanJam organizers give a crap about the majority of us who are there to audition gear, and don't care that CanJam NYC was a noisy mess this year, especially in the afternoon.

I don't think that is true. It is just a very difficult problem. I would suggest to try to have a separate area with food and drinks (for sale) for hanging out. That might be enough to quiet things in the main hall and side rooms a bit.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #430 of 707
No caffeine drinks. :^)

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #431 of 707
I don't think that is true. It is just a very difficult problem. I would suggest to try to have a separate area with food and drinks (for sale) for hanging out. That might be enough to quiet things in the main hall and side rooms a bit.
This is my first CJ. Seeing as how you've been to multiple NYC CJs, were previous years noisy too? Because if staff hasn't done anything for years to try and mitigate the noise, they won't start now.
No caffeine drinks. :^)
LOL Everyone relied on tea and coffee to get through the day, especially Sunday. :smile:

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #432 of 707
This is my first CJ. Seeing as how you've been to multiple NYC CJs, were previous years noisy too? Because if staff hasn't done anything for years to try and mitigate the noise, they won't start now.

LOL Everyone relied on tea and coffee to get through the day, especially Sunday. :smile:
As it gets more crowded, it gets noisy. I have done NYC and London. And Chicago with another company doing the show.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #433 of 707
As it gets more crowded, it gets noisy. I have done NYC and London. And Chicago with another company doing the show.
I know that, it's common sense. More people = louder. Conventions are impossible to keep quiet, but not impossible to try to mitigate and keep noise down.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #434 of 707
Some shows have listening time limits. The problem I see is when people take a seat and stay there for 15 minutes without regard to how many people are behind them.

They could keep the room limited to a certain capacity and only let people in when others leave. That would create a rather large waiting queue. Aperio had a private listening booth. That always had a long queue and was a creative idea. They did not do it this show. I think people have adjusted over time by recognizing the limits of a show floor and implemented many of the ideas that I have expressed earlier to accommodate the listening limitations of the venue.
In a way it is a good problem, to have this many people interested. CanJam London 2023 felt like the ideal number of attendees. Between 12-15 hours it was still quite busy, but I managed to audition pretty much everything I went for. Booking time slots for everything, like the HE1 audition, is just unrealistic. Long queues would also destroy the experience. Perhaps the number of tickets need to be limited and the event I mentioned could serve as a guideline. Busier than average locations like New York, might need two CanJams in one year.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #435 of 707
I know that, it's common sense. More people = louder. Conventions are impossible to keep quiet, but not impossible to try to mitigate and keep noise down.
What I am saying is that volume of individuals hasn't changed too much. I don't just mean the number of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back