CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #436 of 707
What I am saying is that volume of individuals hasn't changed too much. I don't just mean the number of people.

Yeah, CanJam NYC is a victim of its own success.

I really do believe that the organizers and the exhibitors are trying to give the attendees the best experience they can (within a budget).

I've never expected to do a "serious" audition at a show, but I find I can usually get enough of a sense of a headphone to decide if I want to hear more later. I could still do that to some degree this year, but it was iffy.

If CanJam NYC continues to grow, then there really does need to be some changes. I had my one suggestion above, but it is a difficult problem and may require some experimentation with different ideas to ameliorate.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #437 of 707
Yeah, CanJam NYC is a victim of its own success.

I really do believe that the organizers and the exhibitors are trying to give the attendees the best experience they can (within a budget).

I've never expected to do a "serious" audition at a show, but I find I can usually get enough of a sense of a headphone to decide if I want to hear more later. I could still do that to some degree this year, but it was iffy.

If CanJam NYC continues to grow, then there really does need to be some changes. I had my one suggestion above, but it is a difficult problem and may require some experimentation with different ideas to ameliorate.
I don't expect to do any critical listening or serious auditioning at a convention either. But when the noise is so bad, that trying to get an idea of what headphones sound like is out of the question (in the afternoon) and when the noise is unbearable on Saturday afternoon without trying to demo anything, something needs to be done.

It's not a difficult problem to solve. It just requires people to actually do something about it, not ignore it, pretending everything is fine, and not let it keep getting worse with each CJ.

Anyway, I've said my piece. Won't keep belaboring this topic. If something gets done, cool. If not, whatever, I'll just come back to CJ for IEMs again.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #438 of 707
While I haven't been to the NY CJ, my experience with SoCAL CJ seems to to reflect a slightly less noisy room - albiet not quiet.
My observation is the queues of people waiting to audition are a contributor to the noise. If they are waiting, they are prone to strike up a conversation with others to pass the time. Putting restrictions on listening time may reduce the queues to some extent. Perhaps quiet hours (part of the day - strictly enforced) may eliminate some of the noise as well. Designated conversation areas away from auditioning may help also. Striking a balance for the auditions and allowing the group to have conversations are both vital to the community.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #439 of 707
I wasn’t there, but it sounds like the biggest problem is that the venue is too small for the number of exhibitors there. Spread out the exhibitors and the noise is automatically diffused to a lower level.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #440 of 707
I don't think that is true. It is just a very difficult problem. I would suggest to try to have a separate area with food and drinks (for sale) for hanging out. That might be enough to quiet things in the main hall and side rooms a bit.
There is plenty of room in the area outside of the show floor entrance. That might be a good compromise.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #441 of 707
I wasn’t there, but it sounds like the biggest problem is that the venue is too small for the number of exhibitors there. Spread out the exhibitors and the noise is automatically diffused to a lower level.
That's true. It was definitely packed with exhibitors. HF staff said they had to turn down companies who wanted to be there this year but didn't have space.

I think a 2nd main room / floor is required for NYC CJ next year.

There is plenty of room in the area outside of the show floor entrance. That might be a good compromise.
Yup, that's what I said yesterday.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...-march-9-10-2024.971988/page-24#post-18015893

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #442 of 707
While I haven't been to the NY CJ, my experience with SoCAL CJ seems to to reflect a slightly less noisy room - albiet not quiet.
My observation is the queues of people waiting to audition are a contributor to the noise. If they are waiting, they are prone to strike up a conversation with others to pass the time. Putting restrictions on listening time may reduce the queues to some extent. Perhaps quiet hours (part of the day - strictly enforced) may eliminate some of the noise as well. Designated conversation areas away from auditioning may help also. Striking a balance for the auditions and allowing the group to have conversations are both vital to the community.
I agree. I think the only realistic solution is to set up areas with seating and food outside of the show floor to encourage people to gather outside of the show room. Fewer people in the room would result in less noise. Also, they can put some vendor tables out there as well. Maybe room density is also a contributor to the issue.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #443 of 707
I agree. I think the only realistic solution is to set up areas with seating and food outside of the show floor to encourage people to gather outside of the show room. Fewer people in the room would result in less noise. Also, they can put some vendor tables out there as well. Maybe room density is also a contributor to the issue.
I was wondering why there were no refreshments area or tables set up outside. There could even be caterers set up outside with actual good food and drinks. So many people talk about how they come to NYC for the pizza, bagels, etc. Why not set it up right outside of the main room? The floor CJ occupied is enormous with a lot of space for more tables and areas to socialize.

All there was were like 2 or 3 dingy cold/hot water dispensers. I know 2 floors up is the overpriced bar/restaurant, but it would've been nice to have a place designated for CanJammers to get food/snacks and proper drinks without going up 2 floors. Plus, it'll mitigate the noise because it'd be a good place to socialize and take breaks from auditioning.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #444 of 707
I was wondering why there were no refreshments area or tables set up outside. The floor CJ occupied is enormous with a lot of space for more tables and areas to socialize.

All there was were like 2 or 3 dingy cold/hot water dispensers. I know 2 floors up is the overpriced bar/restaurant, but it would've been nice to have a place designated for CanJammers to get food/snacks and proper drinks without going up 2 floors. Plus, it'll mitigate the noise because it'd be a good place to socialize and take breaks from auditioning.
This MAY be related to convention/conference contract with Marriott. Marriott (along with others) usually likes to preserve as much of that concession revenue to their in-house facilities..

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #445 of 707
This MAY be related to convention/conference contract with Marriott. Marriott (along with others) usually likes to preserve as much of that concession revenue to their in-house facilities..
Yeah, that is probably the reason.

Gotta get that $$$ from CanJammers / hotel guests. Their Starbucks is so overpriced and had terrible food. $15+ for a small orange juice and awful breakfast sandwich. :weary:

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #446 of 707
That's right. F&B has to be handled by the venue.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #447 of 707
Just a quiet thought, that the organisers probably also try to keep the ticket prices reasonable. Larger venue, more food, drinks, different rooms eventually will all lead to higher ticket prices. Keeping the event available for as many people as possible is also a priority. I do not envy the organisers to be honest, it is a tough balancing act to pull off.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #448 of 707
Just a quiet thought, that the organisers probably also try to keep the ticket prices reasonable. Larger venue, more food, drinks, different rooms eventually will all lead to higher ticket prices. Keeping the event available for as many people as possible is also a priority. I do not envy the organisers to be honest, it is a tough balancing act to pull off.
I don't care if it's $20 or $40 more for tickets, if it means noise could be kept at a reasonable level, if there's more space to walk around in the main/side rooms, and if we get a refreshments / socializing area on the same floor.

People are already paying hundreds, thousands to fly in and/or stay at the Marriott. What's $20 or $40 more?

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #449 of 707
I don't care if it's $20 or $40 more for tickets, if it means noise could be kept at a reasonable level, if there's more space to walk around in the main/side rooms, and if we get a refreshments / socializing area on the same floor.
You don't. I don't. Others might.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #450 of 707
You don't. I don't. Others might.
Then there'll be a little less attendees, which is a very good thing because it was too crowded this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back