FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
May 1, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #841 of 1,015
How bias of you lol
hahaahaha. It's just better, Man. I do love Schiit though and very much enjoy talking with Jason from time to time. And, hey, I support them too. Have made 2 different Yggy purchases already.

But, yeah, I am indeed biased on this particular shoot-out. So far everyone who has done it has concluded the same thing.
And they to a man say they also love the MJ3 , too. But a shoot-out is a shoot-out and somebody gonna catch a body :joy:

Truth be told if I hadnt kept digging for a stronger amp for my Tungstens that will eventually arrive I would be completely enjoying MJ3 right now. I know it's good.
But it was both out of stock and a bit underpowered for Tungz.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #842 of 1,015
attempting to influence a judge is a federal offense slack! lol
:selfie:

The good news for you, Quawn, is you have several flipable amps u can sell as you've put together a nice amp collection as you've climbed the ladder.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #843 of 1,015
For those still undecided this shootout is good! For Mentor owners it’s already a solved problem :).
It’s relaxing to be on the other side for a change.

May 1, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #844 of 1,015
Im honestly at a loss as to how it could possible sound better than Yggy Og :> Mentor without spending $10k.
Its an alternative for folks contemplating keeping two different amps: tube amp and ss amp. Or just keep one like the SS amp pairing it with a tube preamp. Don't think you will need to spend $10k+ on tube preamp to achieve that especially if looking for used market or over achievers.

May 1, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #845 of 1,015
For those still undecided this shootout is good! For Mentor owners it’s already a solved problem :).
I am not sure, if it will be that obvious. After a first quick listen, pre-burn in, the Mentor and the MJ3 seem to cater for very different needs and listeners. I think it depends on what type of listening experience someone is looking for, but for now I have to get through that 100hrs recommended burn in time before I can confidently elaborate further.

May 1, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #846 of 1,015
I am not sure, if it will be that obvious. After a first quick listen, pre-burn in, the Mentor and the MJ3 seem to cater for very different needs and listeners. I think it depends on what type of listening experience someone is looking for, but for now I have to get through that 100hrs recommended burn in time before I can confidently elaborate further.
Of course, didn't mean that Mentor is for everybody better. After all I mentioned several times I consider them quite equal, but with different signature.
It was more about that feeling when you don't chase for anything anymore. Still remember how much energy it took to finally pick and decide. I'm certainly stabilized now.

May 1, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #847 of 1,015
normally something like this might cause some anxiety but im with ya. Totally chillin'.

May 1, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #848 of 1,015
Its an alternative for folks contemplating keeping two different amps: tube amp and ss amp. Or just keep one like the SS amp pairing it with a tube preamp. Don't think you will need to spend $10k+ on tube preamp to achieve that especially if looking for used market or over achievers.
Oh for sure, i wasnt meaning to in anyway detract or disagree with your post- just was a statement.

I am curious how I could shape the sound with a tube pre-amp like a Kara or something, wouldnt mind playing around with it.

But, i'm not feigning or already plotting my 'next step up' like i seem to have been doing for the last couple years.
It's a weird feeling to be contented in this hobby.

May 1, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #849 of 1,015
Mentor improves significantly after a dozen or more hours then slightly for the rest of the week.

They are definitely different sounding amps. Mentor is transparent af. I think the M-Field would have a sound signature closer to that of Mjonir's.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #850 of 1,015
Mentor improves significantly after a dozen or more hours then slightly for the rest of the week.

They are definitely different sounding amps. Mentor is transparent af. I think the M-Field would have a sound signature closer to that of Mjonir's.
The mj3 may just sit between the two actually, because i can’t call it super transparent nor would i call it warm, it’s what I’d deem neutral and has this timbre that Schiit just seems to nail every time. The body of voices and instruments sound so realistic. I imagine the mentor being wider with slightly less bass and just smooth across the board. I’m determined to hear one before the year is up, even if it’s a catch and release as i plan on staying on schiits side of things for now, their stuff just looks so good together and i love that they make it all, dacs, amps, preamps, eq’s, you name it.

May 1, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #851 of 1,015
The mj3 may just sit between the two actually, because i can’t call it super transparent nor would i call it warm, it’s what I’d deem neutral and has this timbre that Schiit just seems to nail every time. The body of voices and instruments sound so realistic. I imagine the mentor being wider with slightly less bass and just smooth across the board. I’m determined to hear one before the year is up, even if it’s a catch and release as i plan on staying on schiits side of things for now, their stuff just looks so good together and i love that they make it all, dacs, amps, preamps, eq’s, you name it.
that timbre sweetness is definitely it's super power. Im sure there are some folks whose playlists fits that like a glove.

May 1, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #852 of 1,015
I have not heard any Flux amps yet, but saw some videos of the previous models like Flux FA10 and 12S from the Midfi Guy on YouTube. There seems to be a Flux house sound just like Schiit has their own. If I had to guess the Mentor would sound like a dialled up FA10/12s which seems to focus more on the treble/upper mid areas. Awesome big open soundstage with incredible detail retrieval and superb separation and layering. Schiit focuses on bass and lower mids, which tends to have more weight and fullness, along with tone and timbre. More meat on the bone. Not to say Flux is bad in the areas where Schiit excels in and vice versa.

So might come down to the rest of your chain and preferences on which amp to pick. But the caveat is if you have extremely hard to drive headphones, then the Mentor woud have an advantage. But for normal to easy drive headphones, both are capable of excellent performance.

Double stack Mentors, now that is a different ballgame. This would be hard to beat and might be an amp that others might have to chase.

Just my observation. Hopefully Betula can validate some of my observations/opinions.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #853 of 1,015
I have not heard any Flux amps yet, but saw some videos of the previous models like Flux FA10 and 12S from the Midfi Guy on YouTube. There seems to be a Flux house sound just like Schiit has their own. If I had to guess the Mentor would sound like a dialled up FA10/12s which seems to focus more on the treble/upper mid areas. Awesome big open soundstage with incredible detail retrieval and superb separation and layering. Schiit focuses on bass and lower mids, which tends to have more weight and fullness, along with tone and timbre. More meat on the bone. Not to say Flux is bad in the areas where Schiit excels in and vice versa.

So might come down to the rest of your chain and preferences on which amp to pick. But the caveat is if you have extremely hard to drive headphones, then the Mentor woud have an advantage. But for normal to easy drive headphones, both are capable of excellent performance.

Double stack Mentors, now that is a different ballgame. This would be hard to beat and might be an amp that others might have to chase.

Just my observation. Hopefully Betula can validate some of my observations/opinions.
Based on my still very limited experience with the two amps in question, you approach, and assumptions seem quite valid.

May 1, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #854 of 1,015

The Mentor stack has a lot of body and tight bass but still maintained that dead quiet background and large sound stage. Really depends on your headphones and genre of music. For most of my music and gear, it’s been amazing.

May 1, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #855 of 1,015

Mentor is a definitive step up from FA10, and it's neutral- no emphasis on any part of the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back