FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
May 1, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #856 of 1,052
The Mentor stack has a lot of body and tight bass but still maintained that dead quiet background and large sound stage. Really depends on your headphones and genre of music. For most of my music and gear, it’s been amazing.
As it should, it costs $2,840 with the power cables and let’s be honest, i don’t think anyone who ordered a mentor passed on the power cable that flux recommends lol

May 1, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #857 of 1,052
As it should, it costs $2,840 with the power cables and let’s be honest, i don’t think anyone who ordered a mentor passed on the power cable that flux recommends lol
yeah being cheap on the power cable upgrade is a foolish idea. I saved $70 on not getting the remote though LMAO.

May 1, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #858 of 1,052
:selfie:

The good news for you, Quawn, is you have several flipable amps u can sell as you've put together a nice amp collection as you've climbed the ladder.
Oh and most of that gear is gone slack, i keep it in my profile so that people can feel free to ask me things based on my experience with them. I don’t have the luxury of owning so much gear at once lol

May 1, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #859 of 1,052
Oh and most of that gear is gone slack, i keep it in my profile so that people can feel free to ask me things based on my experience with them. I don’t have the luxury of owning so much gear at once lol
im with ya there, i aint keeping multiple DACs especially, but i only use Ygg>Mentor now. My B-team gear is all on my son's desk now.

May 1, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #860 of 1,052
yeah being cheap on the power cable upgrade is a foolish idea. I saved $70 on not getting the remote though LMAO.
Smart man, remotes take away from the experience anyway. We’re in this hobby to be hands on.

May 1, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #861 of 1,052
Smart man, remotes take away from the experience anyway. We’re in this hobby to be hands on.
100%. I very much enjoy cranking that wheel up/.

May 2, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #862 of 1,052
Mentor improves significantly after a dozen or more hours then slightly for the rest of the week.

100%. I very much enjoy cranking that wheel up/.
True, however I suspect this remote is programmable somehow. It contains some buttons you can't use with Mentor so it is generic in a way.. Besides that, every time you grab it, it feels like you have something very special in hand :) hard to describe.

If somebody has the new "plastic" remote could you please share a photo? On the Flux pages is still the aluminium one pictured.

May 2, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #863 of 1,052
True, however I suspect this remote is programmable somehow. It contains some buttons you can't use with Mentor so it is generic in a way.. Besides that, every time you grab it, it feels like you have something very special in hand :) hard to describe.

If somebody has the new "plastic" remote could you please share a photo? On the Flux pages is still the aluminium one pictured.
I wouldnt have minded it tbh bc it is machined and all but $70 made it expendable i guess.

May 2, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #864 of 1,052
There you go. Cheap, generic plastic remote from China, but it does the job. For $15 it is good to have the option I guess, although the volume knob on the Flux is one of the best I came across on any amps.

PXL_20240502_211617315~2.jpg

May 2, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #865 of 1,052
There you go. Cheap, generic plastic remote from China, but it does the job. For $15 it is good to have the option I guess, although the volume knob on the Flux is one of the best I came across on any amps.

Yea still the same buttons where only a half works with Mentor :), interesting take on the remote. The old one was more worthy of the rest, big and heavy. But agree, not necessary.

That knob is really great. I rearranged my room just to have it handy even from the couch.

May 2, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #866 of 1,052

Only volume pot ive held that i prefer to Mentor is Fiio K9 Pro. That thing is another level. Feels like one you'd find on a $10,000 amp. But Mentor's is the same size and feels nice in the fingers for sure.

May 2, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #867 of 1,052
Only volume pot ive held that i prefer to Mentor is Fiio K9 Pro. That thing is another level. Feels like one you'd find on a $10,000 amp. But Mentor's is the same size and feels nice in the fingers for sure.
K9’s volume is very nice. The pot on the MJ3 sucks lol it’s sturdy but not smooth, the best pots are sturdy and turn smoothly.

May 3, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #868 of 1,052
Yes, but not just that. I love that the volume pot turns in a proportional way: you can still turn it up to 12 o'clock or 1 o'clock with more sensitive headphones and finely adjust to volume below that value. The real power kicks in after that but you only need that with the hungriest headphones.
For example, on many amplifiers I can only use my Caldera between 9 and 11 o'clock and I have a fraction of a millimetre to play with when I need smaller volume adjustments. The Mentor's volume knob is big and there is a lot of room to make these adjustments. Why are not all amps like this? :)
Plus, I love those relay clicks. :)

May 3, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #869 of 1,052
Yes, but not just that. I love that the volume pot turns in a proportional way: you can still turn it up to 12 o'clock or 1 o'clock with more sensitive headphones and finely adjust to volume below that value. The real power kicks in after that but you only need that with the hungriest headphones.
For example, on many amplifiers I can only use my Caldera between 9 and 11 o'clock and I have a fraction of a millimetre to play with when I need smaller volume adjustments. The Mentor's volume knob is big and there is a lot of room to make these adjustments. Why are not all amps like this? :)
Plus, I love those relay clicks. :)
Yeah there's a lot to love about her. That consistency is lovely across the range of iems to high power cans.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #870 of 1,052
This is great news! Did you order yours last week (Weds. 4/24)? If so, that's amazingly quick to arrive to you. I ordered on the same day and don't even have any tracking information or confirmation that it's been shipped. Clearly, there's something much more favorable about being a UK customer than a US customer!
Just got notification it arrived in Kyiv. Not sure why it took so long when everyone else outside of U.S already got their amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back