Headphone Meet in Pittsburgh, PA - October 22nd 2022
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #136 of 155
Any preference for dates? Any planned vacations people want to avoid?

Asap lol and if it lines up with a Cars and Coffee again i would not complain lol

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #139 of 155
I went to the Skinny Puppy concert last night, they cancelled the show after the opening band. I guess its the first time in 30 years they have cancelled a show cuz of illness.

Anyway I hope there is a Pittsburgh Head-Fi meetup soon. I had my last day at my old job the day before this one, I would have happily gone if I knew it was happening.

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #140 of 155
So - let's get this moving again! I talked to Mike at Stereo Stereo and he is more than happy to have us back. Just trying to get a feel for dates that will work. I think that the plan would be to do it on a Saturday again.

I am thinking that I might put out a new thread when we have details and post the link in for everyone to go to.

I don't think that we will be able to have the DCS Lina again, but I think that the Bartok might be available. Mike is getting in one of the new slightly more affordable Astell & Kern DAPs.

Apr 18, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #141 of 155
So - let's get this moving again! I talked to Mike at Stereo Stereo and he is more than happy to have us back. Just trying to get a feel for dates that will work. I think that the plan would be to do it on a Saturday again.

I am thinking that I might put out a new thread when we have details and post the link in for everyone to go to.

I don't think that we will be able to have the DCS Lina again, but I think that the Bartok might be available. Mike is getting in one of the new slightly more affordable Astell & Kern DAPs.
ASAP lol like i said before if you line it up with Pittsburgh Cars and Coffee again (i know accident) but I personally would not complain. but really ANY sat or sun works for a meet for me and the misses.

Apr 18, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #142 of 155

I know I won't be available on Saturday May 20th, but other than that, I think I'll be available most other Saturdays.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #144 of 155
I'm available if the meetup is on a Saturday or Sunday, I could bring all my gear if people want to see it but I don't think my setup is all that impressive compared to some peoples stuff. See my sig.

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #145 of 155
Sounds good! Just post a link to the new thread into this one as well, so everyone that watches this thread gets a notification (hopefully… watched threads always show if there’s new unread activity in a thread, but “alerts” don’t always alert you to every event.

By the way, I started working with Drop now. Dunno if that means I will be able to bring anything special, but hopefully I can arrive at the beginning of the event this time instead of near the end 😂

I don't think my setup is all that impressive compared to some peoples stuff.
You know, I still haven’t heard the HD 580.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #146 of 155
I don't think my setup is all that impressive compared to some peoples stuff.
As @Evshrug said, there's value in stuff other than the latest and greatest. I see that you have a Koss estat in your sig; I'd like to hear it if you're able to bring it to the meet - it was one of the models I was curious about when I first investigated getting an electrostatic headphone, but I haven't gotten the chance to try it out.

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #147 of 155
Further to SolarCetacean, I've never heard the RMI ADI, I've heard it is a great DAC.

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #148 of 155
You know, I still haven’t heard the HD 580.

Have you heard the HD600? Same thing. Literally the same driver. I ordered some custom grilles but I got an email letting me know they would be delayed a bit and haven't heard back.

As @Evshrug said, there's value in stuff other than the latest and greatest. I see that you have a Koss estat in your sig; I'd like to hear it if you're able to bring it to the meet - it was one of the models I was curious about when I first investigated getting an electrostatic headphone, but I haven't gotten the chance to try it out.

Yeah I would be down to bring it. I have debated getting a used Stax amp for it many times. The Koss amp is 9 watts and RCA only vs Stax amps which are 30 watts and XLR, Stax is the one thing I haven't heard then I would have a stronger amp for the Koss and a Stax amp if I want to get a Stax headphone in the future. I thought it was hilarious that Stax has the reputation of being amazing and the Koss electrostats mediocre but when ASR reviewed them the Koss amp was by far the cleanest.

Further to SolarCetacean, I've never heard the RMI ADI, I've heard it is a great DAC.

Its a solid DAC but its more about the myriad of features it offers. I thought I was going to use the built in EQ a lot but I just use Equalizer APO.

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #149 of 155
Yeah I would be down to bring it. I have debated getting a used Stax amp for it many times. The Koss amp is 9 watts and RCA only vs Stax amps which are 30 watts and XLR, Stax is the one thing I haven't heard then I would have a stronger amp for the Koss and a Stax amp if I want to get a Stax headphone in the future. I thought it was hilarious that Stax has the reputation of being amazing and the Koss electrostats mediocre but when ASR reviewed them the Koss amp was by far the cleanest.
From folks who build their own Stax amps (aka the Stax Mafia), ASR didn't measure the electrostatic amps correctly. And the Koss amp measures even better than ASR showed when measured correctly. But regardless, most of the stock Stax amps are not well regarded by the estat community and there are a whole bunch of mods that have been published over the years to fix the sound of the Stax amps.

I'll be bringing my electrostatics: Stax SR-L700mk2 and Hifiman Shangri-La Jr and I'll also be bringing a CCS-modded Stax SRM-006tS to drive them. I don't know if Audeze will provide the CRBN again like they did last time, but I hope if they do, that they double-check that the amp they provide functions correctly.

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #150 of 155
From folks who build their own Stax amps (aka the Stax Mafia), ASR didn't measure the electrostatic amps correctly. And the Koss amp measures even better than ASR showed when measured correctly. But regardless, most of the stock Stax amps are not well regarded by the estat community and there are a whole bunch of mods that have been published over the years to fix the sound of the Stax amps.

I'll be bringing my electrostatics: Stax SR-L700mk2 and Hifiman Shangri-La Jr and I'll also be bringing a CCS-modded Stax SRM-006tS to drive them. I don't know if Audeze will provide the CRBN again like they did last time, but I hope if they do, that they double-check that the amp they provide functions correctly.

Awesome. If I was going to get a modded Stax amp to drive my Koss and also have an amp for potentially getting a Stax headphone in the future which would you recommend? Do you have a link to the better measurements then ASR?

Also my "pride and joy" is my Sennheiser HD590, long since discontinued. Mine fell apart when I was living in Arizona and I had to throw them away. I got a used pair from Dorset, England. Won an auction for $180, they were $350 new in the early 2000s I think. I got them in and replaced the earcups, headband, and cable. Sennheiser still sells the "teardrop" earcups. By FAR the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. Fell asleep in them so many times. You forget you are wearing them. I leave them at home because I am afraid of them getting stolen off of my desk at work.

Here is a review from 23 years ago:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_2/sennheiser-hd-590-headphones-5-2000.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back