Headphone recommendations under $300, preferably planar magnetics. Or if possible, ways to give an oomph to my HD600 sub-bass!
May 4, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #16 of 27
If you are using a Windows PC get the Creative ZxR soundcard and use the older sbx pro software (not the new sound command software )
Then you have of 24db ...HD600 sound awesome with this card and it will blow away what you have now and you can keep the hd600
Just use the eq without the sound affects
Later on upgrade to the orange opamps

I
i have a windows laptop so that won't fit unfortunately :frowning2:

May 4, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #17 of 27
Would I have enough power using just the DX170 DAP with the thinksound.com OV21?
Yeah, no prob. The OV21 is very efficient.

May 5, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 27
I think that a planar might be too soft in the bass even if it has bass extension.
I answered this before, but just now when reading the Headphonesty review of the HFM HE-6 SE v2 just now found this description of its planar bass:

This is what neutral planar magnetic bass is all about. It’s there when the music calls for it, but is everything that a bass-boosted signature is not. Notes are controlled and clear. They are viscerally engaging at times and just enough to balance a crisp high-end at others.

This is the subtlety and strength of a great pair of headphones. The ability to deftly and effortlessly balance quantity and quality.

Been opining on this many times over the years, but this is said much better than I have put it. There is accurate bass and "fun"/technicolored bass - clearly.

May 5, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 27
I answered this before, but just now when reading the Headphonesty review of the HFM HE-6 SE v2 just now found this description of its planar bass:

This is what neutral planar magnetic bass is all about. It’s there when the music calls for it, but is everything that a bass-boosted signature is not. Notes are controlled and clear. They are viscerally engaging at times and just enough to balance a crisp high-end at others.

This is the subtlety and strength of a great pair of headphones. The ability to deftly and effortlessly balance quantity and quality.

Been opining on this many times over the years, but this is said much better than I have put it. There is accurate bass and "fun"/technicolored bass - clearly.
I've tried most of the planars that are out there (Susvara, HE6, LCD5&4, Final D8K Pro&LE...) I can appreciate that kind of bass, but in my subjective opinion, althought it can sound cleaner and more detailed, it can't match the sense of dynamics that a dynamic driver can produce. Even with EQ.
Planars has many advantages over DD, but on that regard, I still prefer DD.

May 5, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #20 of 27
I've tried most of the planars that are out there (Susvara, HE6, LCD5&4, Final D8K Pro&LE...) I can appreciate that kind of bass, but in my subjective opinion, althought it can sound cleaner and more detailed, it can't match the sense of dynamics that a dynamic driver can produce. Even with EQ.
Planars has many advantages over DD, but on that regard, I still prefer DD.
That is fine. There is a clear trend towards more bass over at least the last 25 years in audio - witness the Harman curve under 100 Hz, it's based on preference - not accuracy.

To each his own, but the adjective soft, I would put on the far end of the other side beyond positive traits such as heft and long accurate sustain. The LCD-4 (OG), and HE- (6 screw, D8K are among the best bass (all traits considered)) headphones I have ever heard - given enough power. Something like the TH-900 is +5 to +8 db below 200 Hz, wonder what it sounds like PEQ'd flat? Might be good, but I was just reading about a 909 owner that adds another 10 db in the bass. So, I think we can agree that we won't agree.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #21 of 27
Looks like we're sorta getting what you asked for, except it's a closed back in the HD560S chassis, and some more changes have been made to the driver... for my part, this is big news if it holds up to the rest of the 6-series line.
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 8.14.00 PM.png

May 5, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #22 of 27
Looks like we're sorta getting what you asked for, except it's a closed back in the HD560S chassis, and some more changes have been made to the driver... for my part, this is big news if it holds up to the rest of the 6-series line.
Closed back - a new "bass cannon" using excess reverb/loose bass Q? +5-6 db over 1kHz under 50 Hz

Senn wants to catch on to the market - can't blame them for wanting to boost sales. Like to see a less smoothed curve., and distortion figures in the bass.

May 5, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #23 of 27
Closed back - a new "bass cannon" using excess reverb/loose bass Q? +5-6 db over 1kHz under 50 Hz

Senn wants to catch on to the market - can't blame them for wanting to boost sales. Like to see a less smoothed curve., and distortion figures in the bass.
Yeah, there's a lot still to learn about what this 620S is all about. The curve is promising to me at least. And I guess I'm pretty up on Senn recently. I love the S2 and apparently the 490 is a solid studio monitor, so it seems like they've been making good choices recently.

May 6, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #24 of 27
That is fine. There is a clear trend towards more bass over at least the last 25 years in audio - witness the Harman curve under 100 Hz, it's based on preference - not accuracy.

To each his own, but the adjective soft, I would put on the far end of the other side beyond positive traits such as heft and long accurate sustain. The LCD-4 (OG), and HE- (6 screw, D8K are among the best bass (all traits considered)) headphones I have ever heard - given enough power. Something like the TH-900 is +5 to +8 db below 200 Hz, wonder what it sounds like PEQ'd flat? Might be good, but I was just reading about a 909 owner that adds another 10 db in the bass. So, I think we can agree that we won't agree.
Im not talking about quantity in the bass. I use parametric EQ with all my headphones and EQ them with a bit more bass than neutral because I listen at low volumes mostly, so I need some loudness compensation. Im far from being a basshead.

When I compare headphones, I do it EQd with almost the same bass quantity and there's still a difference to my ears in the way that bass is represented. There's nothing wrong with planar bass, I really like it and it's usually more accurate. As you said, the bass from the D8K Pro & HE6 can hit really hard. But there's something in the dynamic bass that makes it punchier and more satisfying to me.
At the end of the day, It's just a matter of subjective perception.

May 6, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #25 of 27
Im not talking about quantity in the bass. I use parametric EQ with all my headphones and EQ them with a bit more bass than neutral because I listen at low volumes mostly, so I need some loudness compensation. Im far from being a basshead.
That's a sound way to do it.
When I compare headphones, I do it EQd with almost the same bass quantity and there's still a difference to my ears in the way that bass is represented. There's nothing wrong with planar bass, I really like it and it's usually more accurate. As you said, the bass from the D8K Pro & HE6 can hit really hard. But there's something in the dynamic bass that makes it punchier and more satisfying to me.
At the end of the day, It's just a matter of subjective perception.
Well grounded techniques and conclusion. Carry on!

Added: Getting back to the OP, based on what he's looking for in the bass, a closed back dynamic seems to be the best choice.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #26 of 27

i just found out that the hd620s got released recently, and the graphs look very very promising. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sennheiser-hd-620s-closed-back.972740/

i might take a look at acquiring this then. it may be the hd600s i actually want. lets see how they perform in the vocals and sub bass before i get this though.

May 8, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 27
yeah i just saw, thanks for the update.

sad i re-opened this after my town got hit with a tornado earlier this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back