iFi ZEN DAC discussion + impression
Oct 16, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #17 of 1,761
funny thing is that i dont find the zen dac available in the ifi's official website but only zen blue dac tho

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #18 of 1,761
I agree. Didn’t know you could power the ZEN DAC by USB. Not the Blue, the DAC. I also agree that they become paperweights after a while but that’s with any entry level DAC. IFI wants to bring in a larger audience with entry level though specced well with BB DAC. I may buy the ZEN DAC as a knokaround portable DAC I can take with me everywhere.
Yeah, these might become toy after a while but ifi certainly knows how to capture its audience. 4.4mm hp out and dac out? That's really unheard of at the price.

At the end of the day 1/4'' performance is what matters but these novelty factors take a while to wear out, much like schiit's continuity topology on their 3rd gen products. You might not need it, but knowing that its there certainly tip the balance in its favour, especially at this price point.

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #19 of 1,761
funny thing is that i dont find the zen dac available in the ifi's official website but only zen blue dac tho
They have an iPowerX coming and its absent from their site as well.

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #21 of 1,761
They have an iPowerX coming and its absent from their site as well.
They have a lot of various add ons. I’m just not too sure how well they actually perform. ISilencer and such. But that’s a whole separate forum! You are right about the cutting edge components in the ZEN BLUE and ZEN DAC. The ZEN DAC uses a Burr Brown DAC and lots of other quality improvements for a low price. That lower price is unusual from IFI. Think about it. This is the first time I ever saw anything iFI was well below $200! $129 makes it affordable for almost everyone, including me to add to my “collection “.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #25 of 1,761
On the other hand they say "optional" power supply to get maximum performance, so I hope it still can get some power from the usb port like some their other products (micro idsd bl). Need ifi audio guys to clarify.

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #27 of 1,761
On the other hand they say "optional" power supply to get maximum performance, so I hope it still can get some power from the usb port like some their other products (micro idsd bl). Need ifi audio guys to clarify.
It does get power from the USB port. USB 3.0 standard means it can draw 4.5W instead of a meager 2.5W in USB 2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back