iFi ZEN DAC discussion + impression
Oct 17, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #33 of 1,761
They commented on FB that yes, you can use both, usb port and alternatively a 5v third party power supply. So, you can operate the DAC from the box via usb power.
"It can run on 5 volts or USB. The 5 volts supply will over-ride the USB when both are connected. There is an indicator light to tell you which its running on."

My question is: how the ZEN DAC performs in comparison with xDSD (in DAC mode)? Has anyone tried to compare?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #34 of 1,761
i wonder if ifi zen dac is on par or better than topping d50s otherwise, looking forward to topping d90

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #35 of 1,761
Just wanted to point out they do include a stock 5V power supply. You can upgrade to an iFi iPower/X or LPS, but for an entry level device I wouldn’t recommend it.

AB0E6F82-7FB8-4036-A95D-BFAE6707F783.jpeg

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #39 of 1,761
Indeed the xDSD is more mid-high end whilst the Zen is entry.
I hope they are not that different in DAC section, at least. xDSD has more features like bluetooth, optical/coaxial inputs.
Yes, let's wait for the first reviews and comparison.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #40 of 1,761
Just wanted to point out they do include a stock 5V power supply. You can upgrade to an iFi iPower/X or LPS, but for an entry level device I wouldn’t recommend it.

It’s probably an error on their website. When I asked my local dealer he said only zen blue comes with a power supply, that and I never got one with my zen dac.

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #44 of 1,761

It’s probably an error on their website. When I asked my local dealer he said only zen blue comes with a power supply, that and I never got one with my zen dac.

The manual is incorrect. My Zen DAC was just delivered, no power supply included. It does come with short USB and RCA cables though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back