Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Aug 6, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 1,021
You just wait until you try applying fo.q tape (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353812619421) to the caps in that. It'll blow your mind. Heres what it looks like applied to some caps in my crossover and the inside of my 156...
20220630-134824.jpg

20220804-195912.jpg
Now that's interesting, will look into that tomorrow. What improvements do you hear?
Regarding the Ultimate it is very worthwhile replacing the standard terminations for Furutech or any other high quality plugs. IMO the standard plugs are quite poor really.

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #17 of 1,021
Now that's interesting, will look into that tomorrow. What improvements do you hear?
Regarding the Ultimate it is very worthwhile replacing the standard terminations for Furutech or any other high quality plugs. IMO the standard plugs are quite poor really.
Hehe great minds think alike, replaced the mains plug into the 156 only last night, and the IECs on the ultimates into my monoblocks too!

As for improvements, better stereo image, clarity and a sense of the music bursting out of the speakers and being more alive and real. Found it worked best on the source end of the chain, I have a Zenith Mk3 and Phoenix USB and it really upped the whole system. Mind you, the speaker crossover went really well too actually! All for £60. And its at least the same jump adding foq tape as from Audioquest Niagara to PSM156!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #18 of 1,021
Hehe great minds think alike, replaced the mains plug into the 156 only last night, and the IECs on the ultimates into my monoblocks too!

As for improvements, better stereo image, clarity and a sense of the music bursting out of the speakers and being more alive and real. Found it worked best on the source end of the chain, I have a Zenith Mk3 and Phoenix USB and it really upped the whole system. Mind you, the speaker crossover went really well too actually! All for £60. And its at least the same jump adding foq tape as from Audioquest Niagara to PSM156!
Well thanks for the heads up on the tape and your thoughts, will order some of this soon. Will have a look under the lid of my Melco to see where it can be applied as well as the PSM156.

Nov 20, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #19 of 1,021
Considering getting the 156 over the power plant p20. Currently have the stellar p3 powering my source units (regen on)and my amp connected to the high current non regen mode. Steve Huff had a review that he thought the 156 is comparable or even better than the ps audio p20 for a third of the price. Tempting. I can trade in my p3 and pay the difference for a p20... just looking for the best power solution at this point.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #20 of 1,021
Considering getting the 156 over the power plant p20. Currently have the stellar p3 powering my source units (regen on)and my amp connected to the high current non regen mode. Steve Huffman had a review that he thought the 156 is comparable or even better than the ps audio p20 for a third of the price. Tempting. I can trade in my p3 and pay the difference for a p20... just looking for the best power solution at this point.
Think you'll be immpressed, if you can get it on a money back 30 day trial, its an absolute no brainer. Just do it....

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 1,021
Think you'll be immpressed, if you can get it on a money back 30 day trial, its an absolute no brainer. Just do it....
I just purchased the psm156 from a retailer with a 30 day return policy. Got the ultimate xx cable and the ground loop as well. Hopefully it will bring a sonic upgrade to my system from the power plant 3.

I don't like lean or analytical sounding systems... hopefully the psm156 won't lean cold/harsh or lean.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #22 of 1,021
I just purchased the psm156 from a retailer with a 30 day return policy. Got the ultimate xx cable and the ground loop as well. Hopefully it will bring a sonic upgrade to my system from the power plant 3.

I don't like lean or analytical sounding systems... hopefully the psm156 won't lean cold/harsh or lean.
Enjoy, think you'll be impressed. Lets us know how you get on

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #25 of 1,021
Just saw this, "Internal wiring silver plated OFC copper PTFE insulated" ugh, I very much dislike silver plated copper, especially copper that's not 6 nines(occ copper). Oh well. The silver plated wires could be the reason why some people say it leans bright. Well, I won't write it off completely, because there are silver plated ofc cables that I actually enjoy, few and far between, but they are out there. I'm still hopeful because of the many prominent reviewers that have spoken so highly of the psm156. Excited, can't wait!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #26 of 1,021
Just saw this, "Internal wiring silver plated OFC copper PTFE insulated" ugh, I very much dislike silver plated copper, especially copper that's not 6 nines(occ copper). Oh well. The silver plated wires could be the reason why some people say it leans bright. Well, I won't write it off completely, because there are silver plated ofc cables that I actually enjoy, few and far between, but they are out there. I'm still hopeful because of the many prominent reviewers that have spoken so highly of the psm156. Excited, can't wait!
Ignore the specs, just judge it on what it sounds like. You have a 30 day guarantee so you have no worries. If you want to improve the bass even more, then change the IEC connector on the Ultimate cable to a gold plated Furatech(sp?). It makes a noticeable difference, but again, make sure you have the 30 day return, I felt it went too far for my system.... Balance is the key....

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #27 of 1,021
You just wait until you try applying fo.q tape (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353812619421) to the caps in that. It'll blow your mind. Heres what it looks like applied to some caps in my crossover and the inside of my 156...
20220630-134824.jpg

20220804-195912.jpg
I have been using the fo.q tape for a few years now and it does some amazing things.

I use it in my furutech etp80, on duplexes in the wall, for tuning headphones, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I have noticed that when used in headphones, amps and dacs, you have to be very careful about where you place it and how much to use as it kills bass, stage and dynamics if overused.

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #28 of 1,021
I have been using the fo.q tape for a few years now and it does some amazing things.

I use it in my furutech etp80, on duplexes in the wall, for tuning headphones, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I have noticed that when used in headphones, amps and dacs, you have to be very careful about where you place it and how much to use as it kills bass, stage and dynamics if overused.
Agreed its amazing. Not found any problems with it at all though, only had 100% positive experience with it personally. Guess it depends on each persons system/equipment and environment

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #29 of 1,021
I'm not a fan of spc but for power, I think its ok. I believe it contributes to time smear when used in interconnects and headphone cables.

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #30 of 1,021
Agreed its amazing. Not found any problems with it at all though, only had 100% positive experience with it personally. Guess it depends on each persons system/equipment and environment
I've through several packages of the ta102, ta32 and the phone art tape.

I think its ok for the plc since its not directly in the audio chain but it can have some negative effects. Especially if you put too much on the caps of an amp or dac. It will make it more resolving and reduce noise but also flatten the sound, kill bass, stage and dynamics.

It works really well to tighten up bass and reduce resonance in headphones. This is my Denon d7200s.

20221015_135042.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back