Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
May 2, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #2,761 of 2,899
figured I’d experiment with the fan being that it’s a cheap option, also the summer is near and while I do let my MJ3 cook, i don’t know what internal temps the summer will bring. The fan is really quiet and doesn’t look so bad either. I’ll let you guys know if it keeps the bottom from getting so toasty. Measurement wise it literally sits perfectly above both heatsinks. IMG_3806.jpeg

May 2, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #2,762 of 2,899
My nervousa worries about the magnetic fields around a fan.

Anyone have some calming bromides about MJ3's immunity to magnetic flux?

May 2, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #2,763 of 2,899
My nervousa worries about the magnetic fields around a fan.

Anyone have some calming bromides about MJ3's immunity to magnetic flux?
Well remotes are magnetic (a lot more magnetic than anything you’ll find on such a fan) and they’re designed to attach directly to the products. Although I’m no expert, seems to be working just fine though.

May 2, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #2,764 of 2,899
Well remotes are magnetic (a lot more magnetic than anything you’ll find on such a fan) and they’re designed to attach directly to the products. Although I’m no expert, seems to be working just fine though.
Ah, but MJ3 has no remote, magnetically attachable or not. So, not helping with the nervosa?

May 2, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #2,765 of 2,899
Finally my Mjolnir 3 is delivered tomorrow.
I can't wait to listen to it with my Elite headphones and Pontus II dac.
Going to be smooth and lovely is my guess/

May 2, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #2,766 of 2,899
Ah, but MJ3 has no remote, magnetically attachable or not. So, not helping with the nervosa?
Schiits remotes** i meant, and you are right. I’m sure they would have some type of disclaimer or warning being that we stack these products and it’d be a very easy mistake to make. However, everything seems to be just fine so far.

May 3, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #2,767 of 2,899
Remember, it takes a while, from new, to reach peak.

Is the consensus that "warm up" for a new MJ3 takes hours or days?

Consensus for a "broken in" MJ3 "warm up" takes an hour?
Well, there is no consensus, but my experience has been that it is good to leave 50-80 hours for burn in. The initial rawness and treble dryness/intensity has definitely improved/smoothed out. For warm up I would say 30-60 mins. Don't expect huge improvements, but if I had to quantify, I would say jumping from 80% performance level to 100% in both cases.

May 3, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #2,768 of 2,899
Getting over my fear of leaving my Mjolnir 3 on (been on for 24 hours thus far). I have some risers arriving today to give it some more breathing room which will make feel a little more comfortable leaving it on for the long haul. On a separate note, I also ordered new interconnects from Corpse Cable to see if there is any improvement over the WBC XLRs I have at the moment. I like the cable I got from Corpse Cable for my Arya V3, so I ordered both the interconnects and a cable for my ZMF AO (it is in the wood machining faze of production at the moment). I will post my findings once I have the new interconnects in hand and spend a week or so with them.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #2,770 of 2,899
Would really like to hear impressions of AO on Mjolnir 3 amp. And Caldera of course.
I will let you know my impressions of them once I have them in hand and spend a few hours listening with them. As far as the Caldera, i doubt I will be purchasing one in the near future. Maybe down the line though :wink:. I would most likely pick up a Yggdrasil before a Caldera purchase. :smile:

May 3, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #2,771 of 2,899
Would really like to hear impressions of AO on Mjolnir 3 amp. And Caldera of course.
Caldera is great on the MJ3. Bass is very impactful with good weight. MJ3 really brings out the fabulous bass the Caldera is capable of. Mids are nice and sweet and treble is fine too. Upper-mids and treble can have more space and better resolution/more details on other amps as the Caldera is able to scale higher, but fun factor and a joyful, kicking bass is a great experience with MJ3-Caldera combo. Recommended pairing. :thumbsup:

May 3, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #2,772 of 2,899
I have had the MJ3 for a few months now and have it paired with a BF2/64. I listen to either Amazon HD from my pc, Flac files and or cd's. I own the Atrium open and currently have been using the BE2 perforated hybrid pads...They have become my favorite pads with my Atriums. They sound absolutely amazing on the MJ3. The MJ3 has more than enough power to drive them. It gives them just enough of a little extra rumble on the sub bass to feel it. The strength of the Atrium's as we all know is their midbass. It gives a solid punch in the midbass..The soundstage is wide, pretty high and deep..It also gives you that holographic feel...I listen to a lot of live music and if you have a really good recording of a concert it is like you are sitting center stage a few rows back. Them MJ3 is definitely my favorite ss amp that I have listened to the Atriums on. If you have a chance to hear this pairing you will not be disappointed one bit at all. As for the Caldera I cannot comment on how they sound on the MJ3, I have not got to hear that pairing.

May 3, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #2,773 of 2,899
Great! Sounds like Caldera will be the perfect complement to my Elites then. Trying to get an idea of which pads to order with Caldera to try to tailor to the intended stack (M3 amd MiB dac).

There are un-doubtedly better amps (there always is something better LOL) but at the price level and affordability to match the budget, we try to do the best we can.

May 3, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #2,774 of 2,899
Great! Sounds like Caldera will be the perfect complement to my Elites then. Trying to get an idea of which pads to order with Caldera to try to tailor to the intended stack (M3 amd MiB dac).

There are un-doubtedly better amps (there always is something better LOL) but at the price level and affordability to match the budget, we try to do the best we can.
MJ3 is a good choice and a unique amp. Great value too. When choosing pads for the Caldera I cannot recommend the thick pads enough.

May 3, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #2,775 of 2,899

I demoed the Caldera for a week and compared it to my Elite with the MJ3. I don't personally think they are the best complements since they are both musical, high-end, open-back planars. I felt like I couldn't justify owning them both. For me, the Atrium Closed made much more sense to have as a counterpart to the Elite. If the Caldera had won me over, I would have probably sold the Elite. The outstanding comfort of the Elite was the tie-breaker in my case. That being said, if I had owned the Caldera first and then got to demo the Elite, I probably would have kept the Caldera. There are both excellent options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back