Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
May 3, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #2,776 of 2,899
This is exactly the conundrum then. I have also REALLY wanted to try the Atrium Open on my stack also, and it is still not out of the question. I have no qualms about the Elites, they sound awesome, and have always wanted to try the biodyna driver on the Atriums, with the sound stage they present. Not sure which way to go. In a perfect world, I could have both Caldera and Atrium Open. Not too likely to happen unfortunately. On another note, I think the Atriums are a much better looking headphone (I know vanities etc.) and looks don't mean a thing compared to SQ, but seeing some of the latest stabilized Atriums damn those things just look gorgeous. Not a ZMF thread, not trying to derail, just endless musings about what might be the best pairing with MJ3.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #2,777 of 2,899
This is exactly the conundrum then. I have also REALLY wanted to try the Atrium Open on my stack also, and it is still not out of the question. I have no qualms about the Elites, they sound awesome, and have always wanted to try the biodyna driver on the Atriums, with the sound stage they present. Not sure which way to go. In a perfect world, I could have both Caldera and Atrium Open. Not too likely to happen unfortunately. On another note, I think the Atriums are a much better looking headphone (I know vanities etc.) and looks don't mean a thing compared to SQ, but seeing some of the latest stabilized Atriums damn those things just look gorgeous. Not a ZMF thread, not trying to derail, just endless musings about what might be the best pairing with MJ3.
MJ3 is great on dynamic headphones. Atriums and others from ZMFs would be great on it. I got the Bokeh and they sounded great. MJ3 doesn’t seem to fit the planars very well. Not that it’s bad but it’s just OK sounding for me. Likely Caldera will need a different amp.

May 3, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #2,778 of 2,899
I believe MJ3 drives planars extremely well. It makes my Meze Elite sing. Several others have stated they use the Caldera on solid state amps in general, and a couple on the MJ3 in particular, and were thrilled with the synergy.

May 3, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #2,779 of 2,899
Well I am running AO with MJ3. As compared to Bliss, MJ3 definitely adds more slam and sub bass and mid bass to AO. Bliss has the upper hand in presence region that is upper mids and treble which more extended for finer details but AO with MJ3 is fun for me so much so that Bliss is all packed and ready to go to a new home.

May 3, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #2,780 of 2,899
MJ3 is great on dynamic headphones. Atriums and others from ZMFs would be great on it. I got the Bokeh and they sounded great. MJ3 doesn’t seem to fit the planars very well. Not that it’s bad but it’s just OK sounding for me. Likely Caldera will need a different amp.
The Caldera is not particularly hard to drive. I’ve tried the Caldera with my MJ3, and I thought it sounded excellent. It also sounds great with my Elite. I think it is a good amp for driving planars or dynamics. The Susvara and Tungsten are the only two planars that might need a beefier amp to sound their best, then again there are plenty of MJ3 owners that like both of these headphones with the amp.

May 4, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #2,781 of 2,899
I agree that the MJ3 works well with the Caldera. The amp does not bring out the best resolving capabilities of the Caldera or its best staging and separation abilities, but it can be a super fun combination with plenty of punchy bass to enjoy.
I think, the contradicting opinions might actually boil down to DAC choice once again. For example, the MJ3 with the Pegasus sounded a bit flat and uninteresting while with the Cyan 2 it is lively, dynamic and energetic.

May 4, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #2,782 of 2,899
First time I have read about the MJ3 not being resolving enough compared to other amps, some of which are double the cost or more. Interesting. I suspect my dac is providing quite good resolution, Yggdrasil More is Better, and that the amp is plenty capable of accurate detailed musical reproduction. Sure there are better amps, tube and solid state, but I am confident that the MJ3 will drive the Caldera very acceptably. Until such time as I can afford a really high end amp, it's gonna have to do.

May 4, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #2,783 of 2,899
First time I have read about the MJ3 not being resolving enough compared to other amps, some of which are double the cost or more. Interesting. I suspect my dac is providing quite good resolution, Yggdrasil More is Better, and that the amp is plenty capable of accurate detailed musical reproduction. Sure there are better amps, tube and solid state, but I am confident that the MJ3 will drive the Caldera very acceptably. Until such time as I can afford a really high end amp, it's gonna have to do.
Sure, the resolving difference is only audible with TOTL headphones (which are actually able to resolve higher) and in direct comparison to higher-end (more expensive) amps.
I find the tonality (and therefore engagement factor) better on the MJ3 than on some of those more technical amps. Resolving capabilities is not everything, just one aspect of the whole sound experience.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #2,784 of 2,899
Fair enough. When I read about MJ3 out-performing Bliss and other similarly priced amps, I am comfortable slumming with my MJ3. LOL Give me a break. For me it is about the enjoyability of the whole system. If I was so enthralled with ultimate detail retrieval over everything else, then I would be actively seeking alternative amps and frankly, I just don't see the need to do so at this time. Someday maybe I will, but I am quite satisfied with what I have. That is a good place to be. Still saving for a Caldera though, as I am intrigued with the headphone.

Unfortunately it seems that audiophiles can be somewhat condescending when discussing other people's systems. Not a fanboy of my equipment, defending it irrationally but I am enjoying listening to it, and I do research and think about how I allocate my fiat currency towards audio gear so I get the best SQ I can for the currency spent. It is what it is.

May 4, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #2,785 of 2,899
Just received a MJ3 directly from the USA. Still waiting a bit so I can afford a decent DAC as well. Therefore I'm open to reasonably priced suggestions. At best, it should be available in Europe. Currently the Bifrost 2/64 and Denafrips Ares 12th are my potential favorites. From reviews, I'd say the Bifrost comes with dynamic impact, while the Denafrips offers a larger soundstage. Maybe there's a good combination for both? I'm mostly using low impedance headphones such das Hifiman/Dan Clark. Both would profit from dynamic impact. However, I also use Grado for modern jazz and maybe it's too much and the closed Dan Clark would profit from a larger, more distant soundstage.

May 4, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #2,789 of 2,899
Fair enough. When I read about MJ3 out-performing Bliss and other similarly priced amps, I am comfortable slumming with my MJ3. LOL Give me a break. For me it is about the enjoyability of the whole system. If I was so enthralled with ultimate detail retrieval over everything else, then I would be actively seeking alternative amps and frankly, I just don't see the need to do so at this time. Someday maybe I will, but I am quite satisfied with what I have. That is a good place to be. Still saving for a Caldera though, as I am intrigued with the headphone.

Unfortunately it seems that audiophiles can be somewhat condescending when discussing other people's systems. Not a fanboy of my equipment, defending it irrationally but I am enjoying listening to it, and I do research and think about how I allocate my fiat currency towards audio gear so I get the best SQ I can for the currency spent. It is what it is.
There is always a trade off. It’s not like amp which are more expensive than MJ3 ticks all the boxes. I still have my Bliss and in direct comparison it doesn’t slam like MJ3. So for slightly better technicalities it does loose out in slam dept to MJ3. Also with Atrium I found the soundstage difference to be minimal between these 2 amps.

Go with what is important to you. My DAC gives a lot of information and added slam is welcome in my chain.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #2,790 of 2,899
... Unfortunately it seems that audiophiles can be somewhat condescending when discussing other people's systems....
Yeah. :frowning2: Sometimes the condescension is perceived rather than real, but yeah.

I think you're in a good spot and I am certainly a bit envious. Looking at my sig you might think I shouldn't be, but still, a little.

You have me actively contemplating a fan for my MJ3. I did give it a fancier power cord because now I can tell which cord is its, as opposed to the other things in the rack.

I really don't like the big connectors but not a great deal of choice there when getting fancy aftermarket power cords. Doubly annoyed because they don't fit through the openings the rack has for power cords....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back